Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got a 330e which had a stone I'm presuming fly through the lower grill and put a hole in my radiator. This had me stranded on the motorway for couple hours as it had stopped charging my 12v battery. I got the car towed to my local garage and they have changed the radiator and say bled the system with coolant but it still remains that the battery is not charging. Has anyone got any ideas? Does it require software update or ECU reset? Any advice will be much appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all, I've got a 330e which had a stone I'm presuming fly through the lower grill and put a hole in my radiator. This had me stranded on the motorway for couple hours as it had stopped charging my 12v battery. I got the car towed to my local garage and they have changed the radiator and say bled the system with coolant but it still remains that the battery is not charging. Has anyone got any ideas? Does it require software update or ECU reset? Any advice will be much appreciated
Is your car with a local BMW service center or an independent garage?
If it's an independent garage then I would assume if they attended to the HV battery or EV charging part of the car it might void the battery warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was at the independent garage but all they did was change the front radiator and put coolant in and then didn’t know what else to do. I think they tried clear the codes but they just popped back up again. It’s a 2016 model, I don’t think the cars still under warranty.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
This had me stranded on the motorway for couple hours as it had stopped charging my 12v battery. I got the car towed to my local garage and they have changed the radiator and say bled the system with coolant but it still remains that the battery is not charging.
Are the two issues linked? Did the 12v stop charging and throw a warning light before the car overheated through lack of coolant?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe so, the radiator that broke I believe is the cooling of the batteries. It pinged up as I was driving and the steering and all got stiff and lot of lights flashing so managed to pull in the hard shoulder and coming to front of the car there was a pin hole leak flowing out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well it was at the independent garage but all they did was change the front radiator and put coolant in and then didn’t know what else to do. I think they tried clear the codes but they just popped back up again. It’s a 2016 model, I don’t think the cars still under warranty.
BMW
BMW provide 6 year/60,000 mile PHEV warranty, but that's only on the battery. I guess in your case it might be something to do with the Charging system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW

BMW provide 6 year/60,000 mile PHEV warranty, but that's only on the battery. I guess in your case it might be something to do with the Charging system.
ahhhh cars on 68,000 miles, I just tried to see if I can plug in the hybrid charger but it’s not willing to charge that up either, I’m going to try and see if I can update the software and see if that resolves anything! Thanks for the info regarding the warranty mate didn’t know it was 6 years

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if BMW do something similar to Amperas, where really serious errors get logged, and can't be cleared except by the dealer with special access to OEM tools etc. Minor ones (like charge-flap didn't open) we can clear the error logs using Torque Lite + OBDII dongle, but anything to do with battery cooling/radiator tens to go into the "serious" bracket. So it's quite possible the vehicle is fine now, but may need the dealer to run through the diags to double-check the car's actually happy now.
Changing battery coolant in Amperas is tricky apparently, almost impossible to do without getting bubbles in. I expect the engine coolant is simpler though, should just be a normal ICE jab as far as I can see.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
I believe so, the radiator that broke I believe is the cooling of the batteries. It pinged up as I was driving and the steering and all got stiff and lot of lights flashing so managed to pull in the hard shoulder and coming to front of the car there was a pin hole leak flowing out.
A bit worrying that the electric steering assistance was reduced or shut down entirely, but it sounds all ECU related so I suspect like @HandyAndy that this is a franchised main dealer job. Check first that they are fully conversant with the hybrid system and be prepared for a £120 charge just to plug it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.