Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2016 330e with 94,000 miles.

How do these fair? I have limited knowledge about them.
What MPG would you expect on a motorway trip keeping to 70-75mph?
Around town driving MPG also?

Are they knowas being reliable?
Thank you!
Luke

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
Previous owners? If it’s been a company car it’s probably spent a lot of time being driven on motorways and not a lot of time being charged, so you should find battery in decent condition, and is it approved used? Maybe not at that mileage?

As long as it’s been serviced to schedule it should be no more concerning than a normal 3, but make sure you get a decent warranty as there’s a few expensive components and one in particular that’s had a difficult start in early revisions - the onboard charging unit.

mpg wise, I can’t really say as I always charge and are lucky to charge at home and work. On a minimum charge of a couple of miles, my motorway commute home has given me 50mpg, usually though I’m around the 100-150mpg mark. Town driving and weekend driving is all ok battery so can’t give any figures there.

screenshot is my commute 2 days ago, 12 miles A-road and 9 miles motorway.

I’m a big fan, but at the end of my AUC warranty I’m getting the BMW insured warranty for peace of mind, they are complex beasts!

by the way, you’d enjoy the performance especially in sport mode

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One previous owner, company owner, full BMW history.
It’s a small local garage, so no real warranty of any worth.

I have looked at AA/RAC, non cover batteries.

BMW have a good warranty, but it’s £100 pcm!
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
None will cover batteries, even the bmw one. But they will cover the drivetrain, motor and associated electronics. That’s what is worth covering.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
Full bmw service sounds decent, high mileage but has probably been regularly looked after as per recommended service intervals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!
My other question,
Can you use JUST the petrol engine? From my understanding you can? In battery save mode.
So, I could go for a Sunday drive using fuel, but charging the battery for Monday’s commute to work?
Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
Yes of course, you’re just pulling around a heavy battery the equivalent of two adults. Battery save is a waste of fuel unless your destination has penalties for driving on petrol. Better to use sport mode to help regen battery - it’s far more fun, especially from a standing start, you’ll love the pull, even at 60, going up to 70 or 80...

Just like with every plug in, plug in to maximise savings and efficiency, but like a lot of cars I bet it hasn’t seen much charging as a company car! Not sure whether you’ve already got or had a BMW, but the auto ZF8 gearbox is one of the best out there..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

I have an. F31 330d a few years ago, and loved the car, currently a 2018 E220, and the 9g gearbox is a dog compared to the ZF8.

Luke

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the electric motor always work to add power to the engine say in battery save mode.
It’s all quite new to me.
I assume the petrol and electric always work together to give you the power.
Thank you.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
Battery save mode - the engine over revs and charges the battery at a detriment to your mpg.

the electric motor basically fills in and works with the petrol engine to provide the 250bhp. And even with a depleted battery, it will still fill in and provide the extra boost. They don’t work together all the time. In Comfort/Sport or Eco Pro modes the petrol will kick in above 50. To force the engine into play either use the steering wheel paddles or flick the gear left into full manual/sport mode.
You probably know you’ve got a better quality interior than the F30, but I’m not a great fan of Mercedes dynamics which is where, I think, the F30 excels, more so than the G20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you.

I wanted to be able to have the option to drive the car like a normal petrol engine working all of the time with the electric motor working in the background.

what setting would that be comfort mode?

Thanks

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
That’ll be any mode if you don’t charge it. If you charge it you’ll be electric until 50, or engine before that if you kick-down. Research suggested about 35-45mpg using the car like that. If you use any of the modes with the gear in drive, the car will choose what motor to use, which is the best way to drive it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me Paul,
I just like to know how it all works.

There is one I have seen that I will be enquiring about.
Luke

·
Registered
BMW 530e
13 Posts
I had a 330e, now 530e and both had a KLE charging unit fail which tripped out the house breaker each time as they failed short circuit which is not great. The fact that there have been 5 revisions of the unit imply there have been a lot of issues. I'd check it has been updated to the latest before buying, or is covered under an extended warranty if it does. Otherwise great car, better performance and more responsive than a 335d I had before. Definitely get a wall pod fitted rather than use the granny charger, charges quicker and the granny charger is only for emergency use not everyday.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Luke, I have had a 330e for two years and I’m very happy with it. Now 4.5 years old and 65k miles.

I would encourage anyone to plug it in as often as possible to get the full benefit.

What would your typical journeys be? For the first year, my fuel economy was 70mpg plus electric compared with 38 mpg from my previous cars (BMW 530d and Audi TT).

Assume 40-45mpg at 70-75mph on petrol alone on long trips.

What I love is that you get 3 litre performance with the electric boost for 2 litre economy.

In eco mode the power is reduced but there is still a battery boost for acceleration. In sport mode the engine revs higher before changing gear although I found that pointless and turned that setting off - the torque dies off as you get up to the redline anyway and the 4 pot engine doesn’t sound very good when it screams its nuts off . Sport mode also makes the steering less light (there is no active suspension).

If you don’t plug in, it is pointless charging the battery from petrol: the overall efficiency is likely to be worse (unless you are charging with petrol on a highway for use in stop-start traffic later, and even then it will be marginal). Why don’t you just plug in at home for your Monday commute?

If you have a smart meter and choose the Octopus Go tariff, you get 5p/kWh for 4 hours at night so a full charge will only cost about 30p (for 15 miles or so). I figure that every time I charge, I save about 1 litre of petrol, net saving £1, as well as reducing the poisonous NOx and CO2 emissions from burning the petrol.

Lots of people (including me) will give you a reference code so we both get £50 if you switch to Octopus as your energy supplier.

I had a problem with a starter motor and damaged flywheel - cost £3000 and out of warranty but BMW paid entirely as goodwill (because the starter motor had been replaced as a recall less than 2 years before, although as the owner at the time didn’t pay for the first replacement, there is not normally a warranty on the parts).

Rant starts: I got frustrated at the chatter by the original company car drivers who said ‘I pay for the electric but my company pays for fuel’ so didn’t charge at home ever. They accepted all the tax breaks in return for an amazing, cheap car with low emissions but then didn’t spend the 30p a few times a week to make it happen. I’d call that dishonesty. As a result of their selfish behaviour, the BIK on these cars is no longer attractive : the old story of a few spoiling it for the many. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thank you.

I wanted to be able to have the option to drive the car like a normal petrol engine working all of the time with the electric motor working in the background.

what setting would that be comfort mode?

Thanks
The car is so seamless switching between electric, petrol, petrol +electric (boost) or petrol -electric (regen) that you don’t really need to know which mode it is in. If you are on electric only and want to overtake, you can prepare the car by holding down the gear paddle or flicking the gearstick to the left into semi-manual mode and the engine fires up ready to go go go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
The myBMW is the new version of their old bmw connected drive app. Since they launched it they’ve slowly added features to it, they didn’t even have scheduled charging at first but I fed back. They still don’t have a monitor of efficiency and mpg. So go back to the old connected drive app, and as long as you’ve got eDrive services booked on connected drive, you should see the stats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The myBMW is the new version of their old bmw connected drive app. Since they launched it they’ve slowly added features to it, they didn’t even have scheduled charging at first but I fed back. They still don’t have a monitor of efficiency and mpg. So go back to the old connected drive app, and as long as you’ve got eDrive services booked on connected drive, you should see the stats.
Many thanks. I'll give it a try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts