Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am FINALLY in a position to replace our 10 year old ICE and have been looking around at electrified options.

After much to and fro I've decided that PHEV is probably best for me at the moment. I won't go into that in detail though as it isn't really the point of this post.

The 330e seems to tick all of the boxes for me. We already have an outlander PHEV so I am aware that I won't get the full claimed range of 37 miles but experience with the outlander and all of the reviews that I have read/watched on-line suggest that 30 miles or so is perfectly achievable and would theoretically mean that I could manage my commute on electric alone (in reality the number of hills means that I probably wouldn't but it should be close).

Now, having spoken to a dealer he has sent me a video of a 69 plate 330e M Sport Saloon which icludes the picture below.

Now it looks as though, in typical dealer style it is being stored with 0% charge which I know isn't ideal but I wouldn;t have thought would be disasterous for a short period, but he has also said that the 20.0 miles showing just below the mpg is the maxiumum range when fully charged.

Is this right?

If so, why is this so much less than the 30 that I was expecting/hoping for?

Whilst it isn't the peak of summer it isn't particularly cold at the moment so all I can think of is that the car has been driven especially aggressively (presumably it is an ex-demo).

Ideally I would want to give it a test drive and see what I managed to get out of it myself but that isn;t possible at the moment in tier 4.

Thanks in advnace for any thoughts.

Ben

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,479 Posts
looks like the range is 37miles Summer and reading the review below for winter it says 24 miles

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thank you.

20 miles is definately on the low side then. Do you think an extra 4 miles off could be due to it being pushed a bit when test driven?

I guess it probably could be.

Will the car give you a figure for the recent kwh/mile? I suppose I could ask them for that and if it is low be reasonably confident that the battery itself is fine.

Thanks again.

B

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve found this from another ad on autotrader, where the reading of 20.0 miles on the picture in my first post (which the sales guy said was the range when charged), is showing as 4,081 miles...

Now I’m not an ev expert but if this the range when charged then over 4,000 miles would seem at the top end for a phev...

Does anybody know what this reading actually is?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Right unless i am a muppet, quite clearly bottom left could be range left in petrol ie 25 miles,bottom right could be range left in battery showing as --- indicating no charge left, in the middle where it has RANGE 25mi could be the accumulative range of both petrol and battery hence it shows 25 which marries up with the bottom left.Which means that 4081.9 is your mileometer, or is that to sensible.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I’ve found this from another ad on autotrader, where the reading of 20.0 miles on the picture in my first post (which the sales guy said was the range when charged), is showing as 4,081 miles...

Now I’m not an ev expert but if this the range when charged then over 4,000 miles would seem at the top end for a phev...

Does anybody know what this reading actually is?
View attachment 138891
All the stuff on the right is showing trip computer since last reset. All the 20 miles shows is far the car has been driven on electricity since last reset. Nothing to do with range. The car won't show a theoretical range figure, just the current actual, which is zero as the battery isn't charged. Wouldn't worry too much about that as long as it's not been left for ages...the phev batteries usually have a very big protection buffer.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That's the trip computer. The electric range is displayed at the bottom right, which in both pictures you have posted is showing as an empty battery.

Bottom left is the fuel tank. And the second photo bottom middle is a warning to tell you there's overall 25 miles range remaining combined between both fuel and battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great. Thank you everyone. Much appreciated.

I really like the car so when the salesman prepared the video and, referring to the 20.0 milessaid “as you know, the car will do 20miles when fully charged” it threw me a bit.

Now this all makes much more sense.

Although I understand why they do it, I wish dealerships wouldn’t leave everything on empty the whole time.

Salesmen not making things up when they don’t know what something is would be good as well...

Many thanks again,
Ben

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts
I really like the car so when the salesman prepared the video and, referring to the 20.0 milessaid “as you know, the car will do 20miles when fully charged” it threw me a bit.
IMO he is right to set expectations of 20 mile range. Clearly based on EPA data many BMW drivers are only going to get that, or maybe even less this time of year!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts