Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone who owns or has owned a 330e can give me an answer on preconditioning - is it worth it?
Since purchase in June the weather has been pretty warm, so I’ve not felt the need to precondition as I’ve read others have done. However when we get to colder months, How much does preconditioning affect the charging when from the house mains, as I know it can pull more power than is being charged. Whether or not it’s worth it for the extra mile, I’m not sure? Or maybe like ‘Battery Save Mode’, it’s not really worth using?

thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
296 Posts
530e here, and pre-conditioning is worth it's weight in gold all year round.

In summer, you enter a car that's already cooled to your desired temperature, but still has a full battery.

In winter, you enter a car that's already warmed with all the glass defrosted, but still has a full battery.

It's a no brainer if you want to maximise your battery usage. You're basically using your home electricity supply to heat / cool the car instead of the battery / ICE.

The only time I use battery save mode is if I want to make sure I have some charge when I leave a destination. Auto is pretty intelligent as long as you always have a route in your nav. It looks at the whole route to see which bits would benefit most from battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As above! It's one of the best things about owning the car.

On hot summer days, as we've just had, I can get into a pre-cooled car. It really comes into its own in winter though, as you can set your departure time and it will be cosy and warm for when you want to set off. I usually set my departure time a little earlier to my actual departure time, just to make sure the battery is fully charged before I leave for work but still have a nice warm cabin to climb into.

Never use save mode, usually just leave it in auto and let it sort itself out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the opinions - especially like setting the time earlier than needed so the battery has time to get to full charge - will try that as soon as I can!

·
Registered
28 Posts
How are you finding the 330e? I came from a 330d xDrive and moved to the 330e when my work mileage dropped off. The 330d has a stunning engine and was pretty frugal on a long run, but my daily commute now is around 22 miles, some days only 12. So some days I can just use ev power only and I'm saving a lot in fuel bills. It's the perfect car for me and 18 months in I'm still loving it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The choice of the 330e was a mix of wanting a first electric experience with good looks and high performance. I’d had a 320d previously and was looking at a 330i.

However with a commute each way of 22 miles and a chance every now and then of charging at work, I thought I’d give the 330e a go. Only 2 months in but really enjoying it, has cut the petrol bill for commuting by more than half, and managed about 730 miles on last tank. This included some smile-inducing ‘sport mode’ driving - the pick up and response times are just amazing! I get around 18 miles per charge on a normal commuting day, the day I drove longer for about 90 miles it managed 27 on half a charge... quite impressive. Average daily combined mpg is between 100-150mpg and nearer to 55mpg on really long runs. Comparable to my old Audi A3 TDI.

only minor niggle isn’t even ev related - some slightly chopped tyres on runflats which cause a fair bit of noise on most road surfaces - easy solved though, when the time comes to change them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts