Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just this week encountered the dreaded "red circle" and "Charge aborted - Mains Power too Low" dash error, when trying to charge up, using both cable types and different charge points (home and public).

Booked in to dealer Friday to diagnose.

I see from previous threads, though for the 530e it looks like a new KLE/charging control unit was the solution, so I am sure it will be the same for my 330e.

However, most people had this issue within warranty, thus got it replaced free of charge. My car is just three months beyond the end of warranty. I'm hoping that, on the basis the car was bought and serviced by the same dealer for the last three years, that it counts for something and there is some sort of goodwill I can ask for.

So, I just wondered, if anyone else has found themselves in the same position as me, ideally in the UK, with this issue just outside of warranty, and what your outcome was, and worst case what the cost was?

If I'm landed with the whole bill it will be a while before I touch another PHEV again.

Cheers for any responses.

·
Registered
BMW 530e
8 Posts
If it helps here is the info I found on the KLE versions. I had one fail short circuit on a 330e and another on 530e, both times it tripped the main house 40A breaker and they replaced the KLE. There have been a number which could indicate they have had design and reliability issues. If you can check the version and have an old one you might want to challenge that it was known to be faulty. BMW KLE Fault

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not the same situation here but I do have a 330e. I've also noticed there have been many revisions of this part. My 67 plate still has 10 months AUC warranty left to run, but I was hoping as one of the later F30 330e's that I may have the newer part installed. Only time will tell.

Op what is the year of your model out of interest? I've also seen many used KLE's turning up on Ebay for a fraction of the new price, and if I was ever in this situation I'd look at that option instead.

Once my AUC warranty is up, I will have about 2.5 years of 330e ownership outside of any warranty. I've priced up BMWs Insured Warranty, and at about £450, or £45 a month, it's probably worth doing that just to cover the KLE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts