Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other week found out about the new services opened up on the M1 just outside Leeds. A eXtra services with 4 x 350 Kw Ionity chargers. At 69p/kW it can be quite pricey. Looking at Zap Map the bugs with CCS still exist, with people reporting slow charging of c30 kwh. Out of interest I phoned up Ionity and asked if this was normal and was told there are a lot of consderations on both electrical load as well as the vehicle itself - Maybe thing will improve when the warmer weather eventually arrives.

Another point about the site is only CCS - ** No Chademo **, The nearest Chademo is Chademo/BP Chargemaster rapid up the motorway one junction at Garforth (LS25 1NB) or there is a Lidl (LS25 2GE) on the other side of Garforth with 24/7 access to a Podpoint rapid.

I phoned eXtra and ask why there was only CCS and no Chademo charging. Sadly although the lady at eXtra was polite and kind I knew keywords like CCS and Chademo went in one ear and out the other. I sent an email but sadly no reply.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,495 Posts
Only expect to use Ionity on long holiday trips two times a year if I am lucky. Still good to see them being installed though as more choices needed in quite a few areas of the UK.

·
Registered
415 Posts
They’re paid for by manufacturers who only use CCS unfortunately!

I expect the slow charges being reported are issues with the car or cold batteries. Ionity seem to install very capable hardware and 30kw is extremely low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah yes I remember EVM talking about that. I recon bout that. Luckily alternative chargers nearby - who are a lot cheaper too!

·
Registered
20 Posts
As well as no Chademo, also no 22kW AC for legacy Zoes. Ionity are really future-proofing their services with 350kW CCS and at the current price and locations they are primarily designed to facilitate long distance and international rapid travel, not local or regional charging.

Currently the only new EVs you can buy that are Chademo are the Nissan Leaf and eNV200, and the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, so CCS will be soon used by the vast majority of EVs as more get sold.

That said, Grant Schapps did say that expansion of rapid charging at MSAs should cater for all types of EVs so that means all 3 standards, though there is currently no legislation to enforce that so it’s a free market at the moment. Perhaps if you want to complain more, draft a letter to Mr Schapps.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Oh good so maybe Nissan will help fund Electric Highways CCS expansion if legislation states that seeing as they funded their chargers in the past.
Seems fair seeing as Ionity get jumped on for not supplying Chademo.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,736 Posts
Use the chargepoint app and you'll pay a flat fee of £7.60 to charge (think that's for up to an hour, but not sure, I'm sure someone who has used the app/post will confirm). If you stop at a lowish SOC and take on decent charge it can work out fairly cheap. If you stopped with 5kWh in the tank and took on say 30kWh and left at @90% (using my ZS EV as an example) that'd work out at 25p/kWh which is pretty decent, especially as you'll likely get close to the ZS 80kW for the first chunk of charge. In an hour you could easily be close to full charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chargepoint (and Maingau) are good while they last, I can’t see Chargepoint remaining at the same cost for long.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
If Renault wants to continue to fit cars with high powered AC charging in the full knowledge that the public infrastructure for them to use is very limited, and not increasing, then they must begin to install their own high powered units to cater for their own market.

Clearly, leaving the infrastructure to outside market forces will lead to no more 22Kw units being installed in the wild as those companies will be aware of a diminishing number of EVs needing that system and will recognise a diminishing income from that source.

Renault could save money building cars by complying with what is becoming the norm and only fit 7kW sockets alongside CCS - then put those saved funds into expanding the CCS network. There really is no need for Renault to cover two high powered charge options in one car.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
There really is no need for Renault to cover two high powered charge options in one car.
There's no cost for Renault providing high power AC charging in the Zoe - it's inherent in the design.

Many Zoe owners cope just fine with AC charging only. There are plenty of 22 kW AC charge points, with more and more being installed every year.

Best of both worlds for the Zoe if you spec the CCS option of course.

·
Registered
346 Posts
69p per kWh is just......stupid. If they had chademo, I wouldn't use it. If I had loads of money and drove an EV supercar which could make use of the super-rapid charging, I might do but I don't and don't, so no thanks Ionity.

·
Registered
532 Posts
69p per kWh is just......stupid. If they had chademo, I wouldn't use it. If I had loads of money and drove an EV supercar which could make use of the super-rapid charging, I might do but I don't and don't, so no thanks Ionity.
It is network created for certain manufatures to sign up to to provide for their own cars. Public use at high cost is a side line.
Now ask how much is public use of the Tesla network ?

The lack of chademo i dont think is an issue as the number of chademo cars won't increase (much) now, but the number of public chargers with Chad is still growing, despite Ionity.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
At least you have the option to use it if you must. Unlike all non-Tesla owners and Tesla Superchargers.

Consider Ionity to be a Volkswagen Automotive Group network in effect.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
At least you have the option to use it if you must. Unlike all non-Tesla owners and Tesla Superchargers.

They were probably forced to open up the network in order to get all that EU money. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't write Chademo off just yet as the latest design recently announced is compatible with Chinese manufactured vehicles, which are likely to be introduced in Europe in the next few years (already starting in Norway as you would expect, pandemic permitting).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can see what Ionity are doing which is good business sense if a bit neich. Its a tricky one as Nissan doesnt show signs of giving up Chademo anytime soon if anything I understand they are part developing a super fast Chademo 3 thats meant to knock socks off CCS. Maybe its going to be a Petrol/Diesel thing where charging hubs have both available.

·
Registered
346 Posts

What? There's no Chademo and I drive a Leaf. So, no, I have no option to use it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can see what Ionity are doing which is good business sense if a bit neich. Its a tricky one as Nissan doesnt show signs of giving up Chademo anytime soon if anything I understand they are part developing a super fast Chademo 3 thats meant to knock socks off CCS. Maybe its going to be a Petrol/Diesel thing where charging hubs have both available.
It should be. But the subject of this thread would indicate some charging providers want it to be more like VHS/Betamax.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts