Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Although it is a great car, the single thing that has put me off the 38.3 kWh Ioniq is the lowish rapid charging speed compared to its predecessor and other vehicles (the EV database presents its charging curve for reference purposes). I realise this would only become a potential issue over long journeys and associated rapid charging requirements but it still leaves that nagging doubt at the back of my mind. Anyone know the reason for the low charging speeds of the car?
Is it likely that Hyundai may distribute a software update that changes the charging curve and thus improve charging speeds?
Any relevant comments or worldly wisdom out there?

Registered
I think 30% more battery cells packed into almost the same space is the issue. It will charge at around 43kW at low SOC, and ramps down severely at around 79%=time to leave! Love the car though, 6 mpkWh in the summer locally! 馃槈

Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
I've read somewhere that the bigger pack has lower total Voltage compared to the old Ioniq so can't charge as fast on the same Amps...
Simple as that 馃槉..

Registered
Ioniq
I've read somewhere that the bigger pack has lower total Voltage compared to the old Ioniq
I believe you are right; IIRC they used the battery pack from the lower range Kona which works at 350v instead of the ~400v that most cars use. This means it has to draw a greater current for the same charging power, and as peak charge rate is limited by current it's already at the limit.

Theoretically they could release an update which delays the point at which charging power ramps down as the battery fills, but the headline rate is not going to change.

Fastned have a good graph of the ioniq rates here:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts