Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What you like to 3D print add ons for your EV?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sourcing cool ideas what one could 3D Print (also Electronics Printing allowed) to add to a ULEV / Electric Vehicle. I want to use Next Dynamics, a multi material printer being released on Kickstarter. The website www.next-dynamics.com says, it is also capable of Electronics Circuit Board printing. Hence I believe the NexD1 could allow me to print cool LED electronics for the car interior and exterior. I own a BMW i3 and are keen to make it look cool.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Well, I watched the video. Zero info. Why are they wasting effort & money on useless fancy led strip round the front? Not for me, sorry. Too much hype.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love me a bit of 3d printing and have long been a big proponent of it. But its no good for things that are visible (finish is rarely good), or need to be sturdy. Good for the odd bracket or clip. Excellent for printing useless crap for my desk....

As to home printable circuit boards, again it can be done ... wouldn't want to do it for anything important.

To that specific printer? its clearly vapourware at best ... a straight up scam at worst.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Clem
I love me a bit of 3d printing and have long been a big proponent of it. But its no good for things that are visible (finish is rarely good), or need to be sturdy. Good for the odd bracket or clip. Excellent for printing useless crap for my desk....

As to home printable circuit boards, again it can be done ... wouldn't want to do it for anything important.

To that specific printer? its clearly vapourware at best ... a straight up scam at worst.[/QUOTE

To that specific printer? its clearly vapourware at best ... a straight up scam at worst.
The 3D Printer NexD1 by Next Dynamics is real, I have done a print myself when I was visiting Berlin Fab Lab, I actually got involved into the project to clarify, and have written on Medium.com an ARTICLE about it.

If you have a look on Youtube Next Dynamics or on http://www.Instagram.com/nextdynamics/ you can see the progress, they are aiming to print a GBP 100,000+ Polyjet 3Dprinter to market for a very competitive price, its like a revolution in quality, and print capability, for a fraction of a price, due to new printer heads invention and just a lot of great stuff happening in the space and great entrepreneurs making it happen.

·
Super Moderator
11,997 Posts
it is also capable of Electronics Circuit Board printing.
Will it work with Gerber files? Do they give any indication of the design rules?

Lately, I've been using PCBWay in China for my personal projects. They are inexpensive and the quality is more than good enough for the sort of things I do. Minimum trace and space is 4mill. Using 6 mill design rules is cheaper. They will route the boards to any outline you can draw with a +/- 0.2mm tolerance.

They have a bargain price deal, They will make 10 2-layer boards no larger than 100mm x 100mm for $10 plus shipping. Turn around is 2 or 3 days. They work 7 days a week and ship DHL or air mail.

PCB Capabilities - Custom PCB Prototype the Easy Way - PCBway

IMG_20161122_135632955.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alexander ... that does not make it sound like less of a vapourware device to me. Though perhaps less of a scam.

Words that set off my "this isnt going to happen" alarms: "£100000s to Competitive price", "revolution in quality","drastic price reduction due to secret new invention"

The fact that all of the photos and 90% of the videos are just of the outside of the box is also very worrying. There are no photos of output, none of any of the insides, no videos of it working. All of those could be faked if need be to generate interest but they dont even seem to have bothered with that. The videos are really fancy ... but there is no substance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts