Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me explain:
Most weekends I need a Rapid, at either Salisbury or Cheltenham.

Last weekend, I stopped for a rapid at Salisbury, but then had to wait around for 20 minutes. It was not worth walking around the shops because I would need to be back in time to unplug.

If there had been 3kW posts in reasonable locations, I could have parked, plugged in, done shopping, visiting, etc for 2-4 hours and returned to a good charge. Total 'charging' time: about 2 minutes of plugging and unplugging.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Totally agree. One council near me has 10 7kw chargers and the other council are fitting 12 43kw fast chargers with a restricted 1 hr parking time.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
But it requires you to stop for 2-4 hrs. Suppose you don't need to shop?

If it is more convenient to use fast charging then fine. It is more convenient. But I don't like to see phrases that mislead... rapid charging is never slower than fast charging but there will be circumstances where you can do other things while charging when fast charging.

Or even better... charge at home. I would expect that very few people actually need to fast charge away from home. It is generally a convenience.

Rapid chargers are really to serve a need... such as on a long trip or if you don't have your own charger at home. Fast charging is IMO not required by most people.

Also, copper thieves love tethered cables!
I've not heard any reports on here of such a thing happening?
It has happened (I read about it happening in the USA) but it is not often enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Faster???? Perhaps more convenient in this scenario?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Charge rates need to match the customers 'dwell time'... a McDonalds wants you served and away in 5 minutes, while a Michelin Star restaurant is more likely to want you to linger for 5 hours and enjoy the port. This is very well understood in the hospitality industry and as we move from 'green wash' EV charging deployments to more long term business service provision this will change for the better.

@Alexander Sims had a meeting recently with one of the major UK hospitality companies and it's clear they fully understand EV charging and it's impact on their business... they even had a figure for how much it would cost them if they provided 'free' electricity across their property portfolio... this is real progress :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It's a given that charging takes no time at all if you can double up and do something else whilst it's happening. On a >80 mile journey, rapid charging is necessary. Taking a coffee or meal break at that time is something you can plan into your schedule and therefore the charging time is irrelevant.

Each of us can only speak from experience. Having just paid for an external 3-pin plug at my daughter's house, I'm hoping that my weekly visit to a rapid charger during our overnight trip to our daughter's will be a thing of the past. Rapid charging adds up to 2 hours to our trip. There's nothing between Maidstone and the Dartford Tunnel so in order to rapid charge we have to add at least 12 miles to the journey and then there's the time sitting there waiting for it - total about 1h 10m. The journey's only 50 miles if we don't have to charge, 62 if we do, so we wouldn't normally stop for coffee or a meal on such a short trip. All the time devoted to that rapid charge is time wasted. If I go out during the day to save my wife the wait as well, it's more like 2 hours as I go back to our daughter's as well. During that time my wife is stuck inside looking after our grandson.

It's only a 3-pin plug but given that we spend the entire day at our daughter's place, the car can charge from about 9am until we need to leave at about 7pm - enough time for 100%, and no delay to our journey. We've normally got about 40% left in the battery when we get there, so 6 hours' charing sees us through, and no wasted time.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
On a >80 mile journey, rapid charging is necessary.

Why ? ;)

But seriously I am with @Kevin Sharpe, dwell time is very important, but it must also must be factored in with range. For me 7kW overnight chargers would have served ALL of my "outside of battery range" requirements in the 6 months I've had the car. ( a 3 pin wouldn't have cut it unfortunately)

As the distance of the destination from home goes up, so does the likelihood you will stay a long time. As the range of the EV goes up, so does the likelihood the destination will be further from home. So the dwell is implicitly linked to EV range (if you have access to an ICE)

In honesty though 7kW chargers haven't been available, so I have needed some partial charging (30 miles max on two occasions) for "get me to my extended stay" top ups. Dwelling at a motorway McDonalds is no fun, and I would have loved to be able to use some form of Rapid charging ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Let me explain:
Most weekends I need a Rapid, at either Salisbury or Cheltenham.

Last weekend, I stopped for a rapid at Salisbury, but then had to wait around for 20 minutes. It was not worth walking around the shops because I would need to be back in time to unplug.

If there had been 3kW posts in reasonable locations, I could have parked, plugged in, done shopping, visiting, etc for 2-4 hours and returned to a good charge. Total 'charging' time: about 2 minutes of plugging and unplugging.
I also travel between Ringwood (viaSalisbury) and Cheltenham weekly. Usually stop at Membury as Cheltenham racecourse hasn't worked for months and don't think I have a card for Salisbury. Were they both working recently? Oh, and what cards are you using?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rapids are crucial on motorways and main A roads until such a time when the 'average' (i.e not just Tesla) BEV can do 200 - 300 miles on a charge and 7kw at destination (towns / shops / restaurants). The Leaf would have the perfect mix if it came as standard with 7kw and rapid DC. I can see the thinking behind 3 kw based on the assumption that most charging is done over night at home but it means that you are restricted to the journeys you can make outside of range. Rapids are great but they just don't make sense for destination charging as you either have to be back within 45 (ish) mins or end up hogging a very expensive fridge for an hour or two. When my PCP is up, I'll be looking for a BEV with 7kw and rapid capability.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts