Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this week I bought a delivery miles 69 plate Acenta registered 30 September 2019. I put it on charge for 3hours overnight expecting to add about 20kwh but only 10.6kwh were added. I tried a manual fast charge and saw it was just charging at 3.5kw. I have looked at the car but cannot find any stickers to indicate whether it is 3.6 or 6.6kw charger.

When I switched off the car the time remaining to charge showed at 4 hours then when I plugged the charging lead in it went to 7 hours, I.e. times for 3.6kw and 6.6kw

I wondered if it was a wall charger issue so drove to a fast charger (22kw) where the car charged at 3.3kw on LeafSpy.

I am new to the car so wasn’t familiar with all the screens accessible from the steering wheel controls but eventually found the charging time screen. When first accessing the charging time screen (lead disconnected) it was showing 6kw but then when I scrolled through the options I could only get back to 3 or 50kw.

I am thinking I have a 3.6kw not 6.6kw charger. This was a bit of a surprise as I thought a while back all 40s had switched to 6.6kw. I asked the salesman at the time if it was a 2019 MY car and he said yes so I didn’t enquire further about the charger. The March 2019 handbook under charging gives maximum rated current 18Aor 32A (where fitted).

On the other hand I had seen 2 screens implying 6kw charging.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I put a call in to the dealer to try and check which charger is fitted but being Sunday the information was not available so might know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It turns out mine probably is a 3.6kw charger. I must have been looking at the wrong brochure when I bought mine.
I am still intrigued to know why 6kw appeared on the screen.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have the explanation, if you go to the user manual, page 2-31 Instruments and controls.

(Charge Time Screen). in the EV Settings Menu.

The displayed charging time displayed on the estimated charge time screen is calculated based on the electrical power (supplied to the charger) selected from the following:

6.6 KW
3.6 KW
50 KW (Quick Charge)

you will probably find that in the menu 6.6KW has been ticked, where 3.6 should be ticked.

·
Registered
686 Posts
What cable are you using? Is it possible that you're using a 16A cable? The cable has a resistor in it that informs the car and charge point of its maximum current capability and so will limit the charge rate, even if car and charge point can deliver more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the explanation, if you go to the user manual, page 2-31 Instruments and controls.

(Charge Time Screen). in the EV Settings Menu.

The displayed charging time displayed on the estimated charge time screen is calculated based on the electrical power (supplied to the charger) selected from the following:

6.6 KW
3.6 KW
50 KW (Quick Charge)

you will probably find that in the menu 6.6KW has been ticked, where 3.6 should be ticked.
Thank you. The only 2 options visible are 3kw and 50kw. BUT when I first found the charge time screen it was showing 6kw! I clicked ok and saw 3kw or 50kw. I clicked on 3kw out of curiosity but then was never able to get back to 6kw as the option just wasn’t there. (I only found the charge time screen after I realised it was only charging at 3.6.) Occasionally I see 1.4kw on the charge time screen but it is never a selectable option. I understand 1.4kw is the minimum charge rate.

I did go try a public charger to make sure it wasn’t my Zappi but still only got 3.5kw.

Perhaps unrelated, I have had a couple of problems charging. Yesterday I plugged in at a public charger (7kw AC), logged on with Polar to start the charge and checked the charging lights were flashing ok. I left the car for an hour and came back and it wasn’t charging. It looked as though it had started and shut down again almost immediately. Polar had logged it as a charge but no KWh added - see screenshot below.

I rang Polar who weren’t sure what had happened but suggested if the adjoining charger was free I try that and it worked ok. I just assumed it was the charging point.

Last night I plugged my car in when I got home for it to charge overnight but when I woke up and looked at my app at about 2am it wasn’t charging. I went to investigate and everything looked ok so I tried a few things and got it started then it charged ok for the rest of the night.

As I had set the car charge timer to automatically charge 12.40 to 7.30 seven days a week all I have to do each night if a charge is needed is to plug the charging lead in so the procedure I followed last night was just the same as the preceding 2 nights.

I am not going to read too much into it from just these two incidents as it is a possibility the cause of the charge failures is external to the car but it was a bit of a coincidence that I have had 2 charges fail in 24 hours. I will see how it goes next time a charge is needed.

I am pestering the dealer to check against the VIN number to establish definitively which charger is fitted. The salesman has spoken to the sales manager and they think it is 3.6kw as they say that is why the car was preregistered to clear old stock but I would never take anything a salesman says as gospel especially if it saves him getting up out of his chair.

I have insisted they check with Nissan just to rule out it being a 6.6 with a problem (clutching at straws there though).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What cable are you using? Is it possible that you're using a 16A cable? The cable has a resistor in it that informs the car and charge point of its maximum current capability and so will limit the charge rate, even if car and charge point can deliver more.
Thank you. That was my first thought. It is the one that came with the car and says 32A. Would I not still see the 6kw option on the charge time screen with it unplugged?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it would be agood idea to use LeafSpy to look at DTCs. I see it says

U1027 2308 CHARGER but I don’t know what this means.

Does anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to keep posting but here are two images from Nissan Connect Services app.

With a 3.6kw charger the time for a full charge is approximately 11.5 hours and with a 6.6kw about 6.5 hours. 71% to full in 2.5 hours is consistent with a 6kw charger but 65% to full in 4.5 hours suggests a 3.6 kw charger.
These images were taken on two separate days.

can’t understand why I am getting times for both 3.6 and 6.6 chargers if the car only has a 3.6 charger.

·
Registered
105 Posts
AFAIK all 40kWh leafs have 6.6kW charging capability so if it's not charging at this speed it's either your type 2 cable, home charger or an issue with your car. Have you tried a public charge point with a tethered type 2 cable?

I've just seen Gosport Dave's post in another thread apparently between Sep 19 and Jan 20 the specs were changed and Acenta's were sold with 3.6kW onboard chargers, I had no idea Nissan had done this and it's a pretty shitty move. We were looking at buying a leaf at this time and our local dealership certainly never mentioned this difference, in fact I'm pretty sure he said that all the newer leafs had 6.6kW charging as we were also looking at the 30kW leaf and this was mentioned as a benefit!

If I were you I'd check how the car was advertised if they told you it had 6.6kW charging then it's been missold.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nissan should be able to confirm from the VIN whether it is a 6.6 kW car. If not look for the numbers on the side of the Power Delivery Module (like a cam cover on an ICE) and there it should give you the max charging rate.
Without seeing the car it is looking like a potentially faulty PDM and Nissan should be taking more interest. Perhaps try another Nissan dealer?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nissan should be able to confirm from the VIN whether it is a 6.6 kW car. If not look for the numbers on the side of the Power Delivery Module (like a cam cover on an ICE) and there it should give you the max charging rate.
Without seeing the car it is looking like a potentially faulty PDM and Nissan should be taking more interest. Perhaps try another Nissan dealer?
Sorry to keep posting but here are two images from Nissan Connect Services app. View attachment 126795

View attachment 126794

With a 3.6kw charger the time for a full charge is approximately 11.5 hours and with a 6.6kw about 6.5 hours. 71% to full in 2.5 hours is consistent with a 6kw charger but 65% to full in 4.5 hours suggests a 3.6 kw charger.
These images were taken on two separate days.

can’t understand why I am getting times for both 3.6 and 6.6 chargers if the car only has a 3.6 charger.
AFAIK all 40kWh leafs have 6.6kW charging capability so if it's not charging at this speed it's either your type 2 cable, home charger or an issue with your car. Have you tried a public charge point with a tethered type 2 cable?

I've just seen Gosport Dave's post in another thread apparently between Sep 19 and Jan 20 the specs were changed and Acenta's were sold with 3.6kW onboard chargers, I had no idea Nissan had done this and it's a pretty shitty move. We were looking at buying a leaf at this time and our local dealership certainly never mentioned this difference, in fact I'm pretty sure he said that all the newer leafs had 6.6kW charging as we were also looking at the 30kW leaf and this was mentioned as a benefit!

If I were you I'd check how the car was advertised if they told you it had 6.6kW charging then it's been missold.
Thank you for your comments. The advert on Autotrader did not mention the charging rate but it did advertise the car as ‘nearly new’ having only 6 miles on the clock. The dealership says that the 6.6kw models came in in September 2019.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your comments. I have asked on numerous occasions for the spec to be checked against the VIN number but it seems beyond the wit of the salesman to do this. The latest reply says he is going to refer it to the sales manager who conveniently is not in today. I have suggested he refers it to the service department today as it is in essence a technical matter.

I took the plastic ‘cam cover‘ off but couldn’t see any markings or stickers which would identify the charger. The only photo I had seen of a sticker and where it should be was for a 30kwh Leaf and I had hoped there would be something similar but couldn’t find anything.

Have you, perchance, seen a sticker on a 40kwh that identifies the charger?

I went to try it on a tethered 7kw charger but as luck would have it it was not working.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I missed your first suggestion in my previous reply. I was going to try it with a tethered 7kw charger but the only one local to me was out of order. I did try a public charger with my 32A cable supplied with the car and that also gave 3.5kw. My home charger, a Zappi, worked ok with my 6.6 30kwh. The fact that I got different times quoted with the cable plugged in (not charging) and unplugged made me suspec5 the cable but I can’t get the 6.6 option up on the dash again. The only options I can select are 3kw or 50kw but I do see 1.4 on the dash sometimes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
No, I have only looked on Gen2 LEAFs so cannot confirm that the sticker is there on the 40 kWh models. The sticker is on the offside of the aluminium casting that sits beneath the "cam cover" behind other components. On the attached picture (from eBay of a removed item) you can see it behind the bracket. It isn't directly visible on the car - I had to resort to sticking my mobile down the side of the engine and taking a photo. :rolleyes:

I'll see if I can find my old photos.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the photos. They certainly clarify where the sticker should be. The 40kwh has the same bracket, which I removed for better access, but unfortunately I still can’t see any sticker.

I did try ringing another Nissan dealer who has a good reputation with Leafs and they couldn’t help even with the VIN. I rang Nissan in France who knew even less than I did but they said they would start a case and get back to me in a week to ten days!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It turns out it was a 3.6kw. Dealer has agreed to buy back the car and give a full refund. Well done Bristol Street Motors.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It turns out it was a 3.6kw. Dealer has agreed to buy back the car and give a full refund. Well done Bristol Street Motors.
Who confirmed this for you? The dealer or Nissan?
At least they are giving you a full refund.

Another option if you are otherwise happy with the car is a hefty discount - suspect they won't offer this as they'll just sell it to the next person who is likely to be non the wiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who confirmed this for you? The dealer or Nissan?
At least they are giving you a full refund.

Another option if you are otherwise happy with the car is a hefty discount - suspect they won't offer this as they'll just sell it to the next person who is likely to be non the wiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was Nissan, but took 8 days. My case was in a queue. The guy I spoke to told me it only took 30 seconds to get the answer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts