Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else carried out a full charge on a 3P? I had to do a 280-mile round trip so thought I would charge up to 100% prior to departure. The car only charged up to less than 100%, showing about 97% on the trip graphic display and showing a range of 297 miles and an estimated 40% on arrival. In theory, I should have been able to manage it but was wondering if the battery needs to have a few 'full' charges before it will show 100%?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It should still charge to 100% and doesn't need a few charges to get there, although 100% charging all the time isn't good for the battery. It may have dropped after it had finished charging if it was left for a while.

But its winter and while its reasonably warm for this time of year, good luck with a 280 mile round trip unless you're planning to charge somewhere while out. you're showing 297 and they're happy day miles. Even in a genuine 100% charge I think it would be tight - I average 10-30% higher consiumption in my MS in winter than the dash figure so 280 miles would need maybe 320 miles and I would not be happy doing a journey that length and planning to arrive back as the car clicked to zero.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally only charge to 80% as that covers my daily use but doing a long-distance one I thought I would start off at 100%. Just as well as the Rapid at the destination would not work, but I found a fast charger so plugged in there for just over 3 hours, next rapid, 12 or so miles on the way back home, was in use with another car waiting but that fast saved me and I managed to get to the SuC in Perth with 20%.

·
Registered
17,438 Posts
I think it goes into 'cell balance mode' so the last few percent can take a long time to complete.

Did it stop the charge itself?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Or possibly it finished charging hours ago and you only saw the resulting vampire-drain by the time you got to the car?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do we know whether "100%" is really 100% or is there an non-accessible buffer above that

Reactions: h8ten

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure it did because I thought I tried to top it up thinking it has stopped on a timer but it did not restart. I will need to check it next time I need to aim for 100%.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Do we know whether "100%" is really 100% or is there an non-accessible buffer above that
I imagine full is an artificial limit anyway - you can keep applying voltage and it starts to self distruct - I kind of think of it like a ballon full of water than say a petrol tank. Full to the point of almost bursting is fine but you're on a limit, its best at 80% as you still have loads of pressure for the water to come out and you're not straining it too much, as it empties the pressure drops a bit but still usable, but you don't want to empty it completely because the sides collapse and you'll not be able to get water into it again. So even when full you could possibly chance your arm and get a bit more in but you know there's a point where it will explode, so you play it safe.

The Teslas BMS won't let it go above a set point even if the battery could potentially take it, but they're more aggressive with that limit that other makes who leave a larger top safety margin. As the battery ages, the maximum reduces, and not every ballon is made the same so one might explode when another is fine, but the trend is down. Other cars can hang on to their limit longer eating into that headroom. Part of the Batterygate issue on the MS is they've decided the "balloon" are more brittle than they thought so they've decided to drop the amount of water they're prepared to put into them.

Similar on a cold day the everything is a bit stiff, not to easy to fill or get out, and if too hot, the balloon may stretch too far and give. Not sure the analogy helps or not, but it kind of fits.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same issue on Friday in my M3P. I had a return journey from Oxford to Brighton, which is about 215 miles, so I changed the overnight home charge limit from the normal 80% to 100%. when I left home around midday the SOC was 98%.

Rather disappointingly my journey to Brighton, on which I averaged around 50 mph, resulted in a arrival SOC of 45%, which equates to approximately 200 miles on a full charge. The SOC dropped a further 5% overnight as I deliberately left sentry mode on due to the cars location. Surprisingly there are no superchargers in Brighton (one is planned) so I had some mild range anxiety during my drive to the nearest supercharger on my route home at Heathrow Terminal 5, but I made it with 15% SOC. My first supercharger experience was great, adding 50% charge from 15% in about 15 to 20 min, at a max rate of ~137 KW.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine managed to peak at 140 but on the two previous occasions that I had used the SuC when I selected that I was aiming for a SuC the battery started preheating ready for the charge. This time it didn't, either because the distance I was travelling to reach it would have raised the temperature enough or I did not have enough juice left to preheat and reach the SuC, probably for former, though this was cruising at around 60 with an outside temperature of 9c.

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
391 Posts
I went on my first real long road trip over the weekend. Beckenham (Greater London) to Newquay. After much panic getting the car back from the body shop (don't ask) I rapid charged at a shell garage to 95% and then plugged in at home while we packed and it finally finished on 100%.
My first port of call was Darts Farm Exeter SuC. Navigate expected me to arrive with about 35%. The weather was torrential on Thursday night. From down poor to heavy rain and then thick fog. Arrived with about 28% which I thought was good considering on winter tyres, 7 deg outside and water everywhere. Doing a constant 70 mph where I could.
Did notice that the efficiency is upside down compared to any other EV I've driven. Wh/mi fell the faster I went. In town it was awful, around 450-480. Hit the motorway fell to around 325-350 I think. Only range anxiety I had was due to the fact I'd never driven the car outside it's range before. Now I know it can do it in the worst of all conditions that'll be the end of that.
(LR AWD 19"s)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts