Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got all my music on a usb stick, in albums with track numbers etc, been using same format for years in Ceeds, load it in he 4+ and it just goes to the first album other choices are greyed out. I.e artist song album and recently added) only top file is available. Any help is very much welcomed.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
Have a look:
I never had anything greyed out although mostly working with videos. File navigation is pretty straight forward, though clunky. Is it possible you have some naming issue? Too long or use of banned characters?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Got all my music on a usb stick, in albums with track numbers etc, been using same format for years in Ceeds, load it in he 4+ and it just goes to the first album other choices are greyed out. I.e artist song album and recently added) only top file is available. Any help is very much welcomed.
Is it a large capacity with a lot of music? Needs a while to index the stick if so.

I find these new fangled HUs infuriating that they don’t just process the music and offer it through a music player type interface rather than some clunky ‘you have to figure out how to format your stick properly to make it work’ solution. I’m guessing they just conclude that most people will Bluetooth or stream from another device so don’t bother. Which begs a question why they bother so much with out of date Sat Navs in this day and age.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magically it’s all appeared now, thanks. Looks and sounds fantastic.;)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Does it read the artwork from a separate image file in the album directory? Or do you need to embed the image in the ID3 tag?
I used a bulk tag editor to sort out all my music and apply the album art to each track to be doubly sure.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm looking for a good one, what one do you use?
Now that's a good question as it was a while ago and on a PC which I don't have wired up cos I've gone all Mac a few years ago. Pretty sure it was this one but it's gone through many developments since I acquired it I believe. It was pretty rough and ready in terms of an interface at the time but also quite functional for doing bulk updates. Some of the good functions at the time were the ability to automatically add track numbers at the front of file names according to a mask for instance, to write filenames based on the track title, to create folders with the artist names etc etc. To be honest, many such programs will probably do the same now I am guessing so don't take this as a recommendation without looking around. There may be cheaper or free ones of course but usually functionality is limited to how many files they will handle if free.

I used to use Windows to rip a CD into MP3 format which attempted a tagging exercise but then modified the files to my own preference thereafter. I hate having albums with the artists varying for each track for instance. Why the 'you know what' is every track these days by XYZ featuring ABC? What's that about, a tax dodge, a marketing / PR exercise or what?

You may have guessed by now that I long for the days when life was less complicated! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, I think I'll Google a few id3 tag editors and see what comes up. But good to know some of the features you found useful!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are there any issues with old memory sticks? I just plugged my 4Gb stick in to the 4+ and it claims no media files.
Been using it happily for years in other cars (i30 most recently). Do they need to be formatted in a particular way (FAT vs FAT32 for instance)? TIA.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
Are there any issues with old memory sticks? I just plugged my 4Gb stick in to the 4+ and it claims no media files.
Been using it happily for years in other cars (i30 most recently). Do they need to be formatted in a particular way (FAT vs FAT32 for instance)? TIA.
FAT32 I believe.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
FAT32 I believe.
Yes FAT32 according to the manual. Haven't tested it, but that usually means that other formats will not read at all.

Reactions: DSLRed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheers. Have checked and it is FAT32. Even reformatted, but still no joy. Will try a few other sticks I have around.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,834 Posts
Cheers. Have checked and it is FAT32. Even reformatted, but still no joy. Will try a few other sticks I have around.
Sorry. That must be the USB drive then?

Try another one, and see how that works out?

Question to everyone else: In my former GTE, I had access to the built-in drive and could save the music files there, so no need for SD/USB constantly plugged in. Is that possible/available on the Kia system?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What format are your music files?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tried a different stick & all fine. Reformatted original, but looks like it's not compatible.
Think I'll look into one of the small USB's, as there isn't much spare room there.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
206 Posts
Sorry. That must be the USB drive then?

Try another one, and see how that works out?

Question to everyone else: In my former GTE, I had access to the built-in drive and could save the music files there, so no need for SD/USB constantly plugged in. Is that possible/available on the Kia system?
My old Merc, and even older Volvo, had a HDD for music storage. It was only 20GB!
USB sticks are so high capacity & cheap it's not worth having a disk drive in the car.
Plus many people use their phone as a media store or for streaming.
Spotify is great in the car!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
Things move on. My old Citroen C5 had a HDD in it 12 years ago. It used to only copy the files in from CD at the same rate you played them. So it took me about 3 years to copy over my music library. I sold it the week after I had done :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts