Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
Tried a different stick & all fine. Reformatted original, but looks like it's not compatible.
Think I'll look into one of the small USB's, as there isn't much spare room there.
I can recommend one of these. Compact, rugged, cool running, quite fast, works in my 2020 for mp3, videos etc. I got the 64GB one but 32GB might well suffice?
拢10 next day delivery on Prime.

Peter

Registered
BMW had an HDD in and it would copy the USB quickly and avoided the need to have it sticking out of the socket. But agree, the BMW's disk was only about 30GB IIRC whereas the thumb drive I have currently got plugged in is 64GB. Does beg a question as to why they don't just put an SSD in the dash somewhere out the way or offer a USB socket hidden in the glovebox which my older BMW had.

Registered
Kia e-Niro 64kWh 4+ MY21
I understand the e-Niro can also read and play FLAC files which has always been my favorite format. 24bit up to 192Hz. I had a JBL system in my Prius and the sound quality stunning with FLAC, I hope the e-Niro is of eqal quality. I am a bit of an Audiophile 馃帶

Registered
One thing that drives me nuts is that car stereos (yeah I know, I鈥檓 1980s tech!) can鈥檛 recognise sound levels and automatically adjust quiet tracks to a higher output level. Forever turning volume up on media and blowing my ears out when switching to radio 馃檮

Registered
One thing that drives me nuts is that car stereos (yeah I know, I鈥檓 1980s tech!) can鈥檛 recognise sound levels and automatically adjust quiet tracks to a higher output level. Forever turning volume up on media and blowing my ears out when switching to radio 馃檮
ReplayGain does this for you. If you're playing the music via a phone you can get your music player app to apply ReplayGain automatically. I don't know if the car's player will apply ReplayGain tags when playing files from a USB stick though.

There is definitely a setting for adjusting the volume of each media type relative to the others though, e.g. set radio to be quieter than the others (because radio stations are compressed to hell and super loud).

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
ReplayGain does this for you. If you're playing the music via a phone you can get your music player app to apply ReplayGain automatically. I don't know if the car's player will apply ReplayGain tags when playing files from a USB stick though.

There is definitely a setting for adjusting the volume of each media type relative to the others though, e.g. set radio to be quieter than the others (because radio stations are compressed to hell and super loud).
I hate ReplayGain as it compresses the sound. However I'd like to change source gain so radio, Bluetooth & streaming sources are equal level.
Haven't found this setting yet

Banned
Thanks, I think I'll Google a few id3 tag editors and see what comes up. But good to know some of the features you found useful!
I use MusicBrainz Picard. When I get music from Google music play the files are labled 001.mp3, 002.mp3 etc. The app is able to rename your files according to your specified format. Quite reliable and free to use.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
You could also try NTFS formatting. The manual says it鈥檚 acceptable though I鈥檝e not tried it. Fat32 works on all my flash sticks in the car.
Full playable file types and USB formats are shown here....
Peter

Reactions: Todor

Registered
the previous sentence basically says not all usb sticks work... ntfs pretty unusual on small memory stick, my fiat would only work with FAT, not even EX-FAT

Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
You could also try NTFS formatting. The manual says it鈥檚 acceptable though I鈥檝e not tried it. Fat32 works on all my flash sticks in the car.
Full playable file types and USB formats are shown here....
Peter
I'm 100% certain I have played MKV files, maybe H264.... :unsure:

Registered
I hate ReplayGain as it compresses the sound.
What do you mean? It applies (usually negative) gain, there's no dynamic range compression or data compression involved.
However I'd like to change source gain so radio, Bluetooth & streaming sources are equal level.
Haven't found this setting yet
I can't remember exactly where but keep looking because it definitely exists. I assume it's in Settings -> Sound somewhere.

Registered
I'm looking for a good one, what one do you use?
I have used MP3Tag for years, very handily it can be run as a portable app so I generally leave it on the drive I am storing the music on and can sort some stuff at lunch at the office (not that i go to the office since the apocalypse)

Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
What do you mean? It applies (usually negative) gain, there's no dynamic range compression or data compression involved.

I can't remember exactly where but keep looking because it definitely exists. I assume it's in Settings -> Sound somewhere.
Agree, it's not compression per se.
However if applied track by track it normalises the level even though the artist's intent might have been to have a higher or lower sound level.

Registered
Agree, it's not compression per se.
However if applied track by track it normalises the level even though the artist's intent might have been to have a higher or lower sound level.
Ah yes, that's why you can calculate and store both per-track and per-album ReplayGain values. The former is great for shuffled playlists, the latter for album playback.

Registered

Registered
Ioniq 5 Premium RWD [2021-]
Has anyone tried a very big device >64GB? I have all my music as flac, and it's approaching 500 GB.

The media player on my Outlander doesn't cope with anything bigger than 32GB, but that's 5 years old now. Hoping the 4+ can handle 512GB, but if anyone has tried something that big and it failed I'd appreciate your telling me before I order one.

Registered
64GB is the one I鈥檝e got. I have got a bigger unit which I could erase and try to format to see if I can make it work if you want me to?

Registered
64GB is the one I鈥檝e got. I have got a bigger unit which I could erase and try to format to see if I can make it work if you want me to?
I put a 128GB usb stick in yesterday and it immediately started playing music. Just gotta format it in FAT32 which you can either do from powershell or I think there are tools you can download (powershell took a long time!).

21 - 40 of 74 Posts