1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this email from Octopus:

Hi Neil,

In many ways, 2020 has been a year to forget.

But we think you deserve a thank you.

This year, you’ve been part of an unprecedented global shift to renewable energy. I’ve included a few epic stats for you at the bottom of this email.

To say thanks, we’re offering Octopus customers with an eligible smart meter 4 hours free 100% renewable electricity to cook your turkey on Christmas Day, or just to celebrate — in whatever way you see fit.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Got this too. As luck would have it, I'll be setting off for my Christmas bubble at precisely 8am 😂 Can't win 'em all

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got this too. As luck would have it, I'll be setting off for my Christmas bubble at precisely 8am 😂 Can't win 'em all
We're getting our Christmas dinner as a take away from a local restaurant. Still it's a nice thought from Octopus. It can't be the same as last time as loads of people will be using their ovens during that time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just seen mine and thought I'd check here to see if it had been mentioned. I'll get a few hours on the granny before I walk down to aged parent's flat to cook dinner, every little helps!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I've received this, the car will have at least enough space to charge for 4 hours and, as I will be home alone, dishwasher and tumble dryer will be on too. For once its a pity I cook with gas.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
24 Posts
Oh no, not bad this due to my email preference. Just changed them and will see what happens.

Nice gesture from Octopus.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Nice gesture and I have of course responded "Yes".

But it seems an odd way for them to do this. Surely it might have been easier to set those 8 hh sessions at 0.00ppu ? The cynic in me says that doing it their way means that anyone who doesn't find the email in time won't get the benefit.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I didn’t get an email, but noticed on FB forums, others saying the same and replies saying just send a mesg. On Twitter and they will send a link to signup.
So sent mesg. And very quickly had reply, confirmed email and address info and link sent.

So part charging EV tonight and will finish charging on Xmas day morning along with other cooking stuff And will force charge Powerwall2 also.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Perhaps they want to find out who responds quickly to a financial incentive?
Yeah it’s an interesting one. I’ve said yes and will fit lots of consumption into that window (aiming for about 42kwh) so it will save me a couple of quid. But it also means I’ll have a totally different consumption pattern for the day. Do they want that? Is it an experiment of some sort? Or is consumption likely to be so low in that day that agile users would have gone negative price and I’ve just hit a button to agree it will be zero rate instead?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Perhaps they want to find out who responds quickly to a financial incentive?
Yep, I suspect that's it. Plus there was something I saw about "you'll need to opt in to half-hourly readings". Not sure, but maybe they want/ need the half hourly data from a lot of people, and this is an easy way to get permission. (Didn't realise they'd need it.)

It's also good PR

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
Or is consumption likely to be so low in that day that agile users would have gone negative price and I’ve just hit a button to agree it will be zero rate instead?
I assume that's a tongue in cheek comment as I like to believe that Octopus are better than that. As I'm currently on Go Faster it's a significant saving in comparison to the standard rate of around 13.7p/kWh, but I'm in a dilemma as to whether to take advantage of transferring my other usage away from the cheap time.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts