Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

381 - 400 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I am back from my weeks holiday in Suffolk and here are the figures. We did a total of 357 miles in the scorching weather, lovely climate control keeping us cool, keeping up with the traffic, so no hypermile tactics, and used 4.2 gallons of petrol on the whole trip equating to an incredible 85mpg. During our stay, I was able to charge the car up as the holiday cottage had an external power point in the garden so our outings during the week were electric only. I managed to achieve 43 miles electric range on the outward and homeward bound journey.
This was with the aircon on full blast, using L mode all the time, and not even trying to drive economically. I am sure I could have achieved better figures than this if I had tried harder but it is still really impressive in my eyes. We arrived refreshed at our desinations, even in the hot weather we our experiencing at the moment. This really is an great car and I am enjoying every journey in it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice one. I'm going to start a separate thread on part of your topic, as the matter arose for me last week, and that is charging while in a holiday rental.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, that was easy! First time trying.

40.7 miles on electric, 1.0 mile on petrol. 10.4 kWh used, 0.03 gallons used.

Climate control set to eco mode. About 50% city driving (30-40 mph limit areas) and 50% dual carriageway and motorway (I kept it down to 60-65).

Some of the driving was in D and some in L. I wasn't even trying to achieve the 40 miles really!

I'm rather pleased about that. I don't often do more than 40 miles in a day, so that confirms that I will rarely see a petrol station with this car.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It's very easy when the temperatures are above 20C, particularly if you're just doing one single trip. I find I can get 45+ without trying in these conditions, particularly if I'm on A roads doing 50-60 (as the speed limit allows!). Driving in L or D makes no difference to economy, by the way.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As I rarely drive over 40 miles a day I don't use filling stations too often, this year I've troubled them three times and will probably need to go again next month.

GOM is still showing around 50-53 after each charge. It will not be so good in winter that's for sure!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Very similar results for me today! Have just done my regular weekly round-trip of 24 gentle miles with a 2-hour stop in the middle. Used 5.6 kWh. 5 miles are town rush-hour walking-pace mixed with rush-hour 30 mph, the other 19 miles dual & motorway at lorry speeds, keeping just ahead of them so as not to annoy them! No hypermiliing/slip-streaming done. Car was fully charged before, but I deliberately didn't do any preheats, also no heating on during the trip (coat, hat & driver's gloves being enough to keep me warm) and I wanted to see what the car can do without heating. Outside temp was 7C. Winter tyres at 40 psi. Roads dry. This works out to 44 mile predicted range! I'm very happy with that. I've a feeling my winters have more drag that my summers do.

I didn't detect any power-hungry battery heating going on, the power-drain figures went exactly as usual with no surges anywhere. Reading the car's own info screen somewhere, I seem to remember seeing that they recommend we leave the cars plugged into the charger the whole time, so the system can keep the battery warm & ready for use! So maybe there's a sort-of continual preheat going on when it's really cold? I need to keep an eye on my kWh meter on the Rolec while the car's doing nothing for a few days, I think.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got 46 miles on Monday, meant to take a photo but forgot.

Pumped the tyres up to 40psi at the weekend, the roads were dry, used demist 4 times on my way in to work.
This was 2 preheats, heating on Min, 27 miles to work (of which 20 miles motorway at 55-60mph), 5 miles at lunchtime then drive home on battery until it ran out. No mucking about with Hold.

Interestingly the usage was showing 11.4kWh when the ICE kicked in, so my previous assumption that this was caused by Hold topping up the buffer is obviously flawed. It appears to be intermittent use of demist that causes the extra 0.8kWh over my normal 10.6. Any explanation gratefully received!

·
Registered
64 Posts
My guess would be that the kWh used for preheat has been added back to the battery before you took off. That would give you the normal 10.x plus the energy used for preheat (if the charging continued a bit after preheat #2).

Could that be the case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
My guess would be that the kWh used for preheat has been added back to the battery before you took off. That would give you the normal 10.x plus the energy used for preheat (if the charging continued a bit after preheat #2).

Could that be the case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Except that my journey with pre-heat (as I do every day, even in summer) but without using the demist would have the ICE kick in reliably at 10.6.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The only times I've seen significantly over my 10.4 is either a) I did a load of regenning, and used the ICE at some stages; or b) I topped-up the car on the charger, but not quite to 100%, so that small topup got added to the 10.4 used previously.

Doesn't sound as though either of these apply here though!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The rising temps have made a big difference. I was running 5m/kWh coming home from work this evening.

·
Ampera Advocate
313 Posts
Mid-Jan and a balmy 9 to 10 degrees this morning resulted in 41 miles electric range.

I recall that Donald has previously indicated that there is a certain temp threshhold where you can expect a step up in range performance.

381 - 400 of 430 Posts