Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

401 - 420 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mid-Jan and a balmy 9 to 10 degrees this morning resulted in 41 miles electric range.

I recall that Donald has previously indicated that there is a certain temp threshhold where you can expect a step up in range performance.
Yes, it's about 9 to 10 degrees. Below that the car uses energy to actively heat the battery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
would I be correct in assuming that part charges are not counted as consumed by the battery ? I've been part charging over a couple of days and managed 43 miles on 10.5Kwh consumed..... but it wasn't all done at once, does it count ?

·
Ampera Advocate
311 Posts
would I be correct in assuming that part charges are not counted as consumed by the battery ? I've been part charging over a couple of days and managed 43 miles on 10.5Kwh consumed..... but it wasn't all done at once, does it count ?
Paul - it has to be a straight-forward one charge with no Mountain recharge to qualify for any of the mileage clubs !

·
Ampera Advocate
311 Posts
Effect of temp and speed
So yesterday was 41 miles at 9-10 degrees but surprisingly, this morning was still 38 miles at 2-3 degrees. I put this down to a slightly lower speed due to weather conditions

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ah, I see, hopefully the indicated mileage I got from 10Kwh means that I might make these kind of distances on one single charge. I must admit, its looking a bit tough thought at the moment, I've had an interest in hypermiling for quite some years, I'm fascinated by collecting those figures, I don't employ any 'unusual' techniques apart from driving rather slowly on the motorway and annoying people behind me in town :)
There is no way on earth that I could get 41 miles in normal driving, we did a return trip from Blackpool to Preston the other week, I feathered the accelerator all the way to the motorway and gingerly accelerated to no more than 50mph on the mostly consistent speed single carriageways, then did 56mph on cruise control on the motorway, a little bit of town driving to get to the shopping centre, but even then we kept moving at a fairly constant speed. I repeated the same on the return leg and we managed only 33 miles on that full charge. it turned out that we had to go back to the same shopping centre the week after to change something, we then went further into Preston town, and returned down the dual carriageways rather than motorway, and that time we got 34.5ish. We had minimal heating on.
I do enjoy the challenge, its a great car, will be interesting to see how things change when the weather warms up.

I just can't believe all the stuff in this car keeps working, it all sounds incredibly complicated, it's a great piece of technology, and an all round very nice car too

·
Ampera Advocate
311 Posts
Paul
I'm sure that you will break the 40 barrier soon and then you might even make it to 50 in the summer. Apart from your own driving style, you will find that low temperature, hilly terrain and stop-start driving are the main killers (in my view).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
... and rain. Rain can lop 10 miles off the range if it's heavy! You'll make it one day when you're just trundling round A-roads on one single journey in reasonable temperatures after a pre-heat and with the climate control kept at a sensible level.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
105,000 miles and still getting 47 miles on the GOM. I suspect battery degradation isn't a thing with Amperas then ;)

·
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
14 Posts
Short story: 3 weeks of ownership, only 26-30 miles trips so far until this weekend:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

I'm quite unhappy as my usual commute gives me 5-5.5ml/Kwh but I never have to go so far so I can get that on trip screen. Also, in 3 weeks, the GOM raised from 26 miles in winter to 36-38 miles per charge :D ( I love this car!) Next: Hit that 50+ miles per charge!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Short story: 3 weeks of ownership, only 26-30 miles trips so far until this weekend:
View attachment 112438

I'm quite unhappy as my usual commute gives me 5-5.5ml/Kwh but I never have to go so far so I can get that on trip screen. Also, in 3 weeks, the GOM raised from 26 miles in winter to 36-38 miles per charge :D ( I love this car!) Next: Hit that 50+ miles per charge!
To be accepted in the club the whole journey needs to be electric, otherwise there is always a chance you used petrol uphill and electric downhill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Ampera Advocate
311 Posts
Well done Ant. Once you've got to 40, you will find that it becomes a regular occurrence.

Did you use all your battery or do you usually have more than 10kWh?

401 - 420 of 430 Posts
About this Discussion
429 Replies
89 Participants
Calzehbhoy
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing