Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video shows the step by step construction of a petrol engine and its incredible complexity. I found it to be yet another reason to dump this technology and push for electric motor power. I know that the construction of a motor will also have fine tolerances and complexity but I suspect nowhere near what this video shows. Not really SpeakEV material but kinda interesting to contrast the ICE v EV move.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
I’ve been following these guys for a while now.

I love the idea of a Turbocharger as a safety item.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve been following these guys for a while now.
I love the idea of a Turbocharger as a safety item.
Yeah - I've watched most of the build episodes too. Love the way they fabricate a bracket for every circumstance.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,821 Posts
They're a couple of really good IRL mechanics, and work on it between paying jobs.
That's why Binky has taken 6 years and counting, and only went off for paint 2-3 months ago!
They're also working on "Escargot" - A conversion of an ex mobile library into a race transporter for Binky.

(Disclosure - My IRL name is on the end credits of recent episodes, as I contribute to their tea & biccy fund via Patreon)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, I love watching these - my name is one of the first Patreon ones you see flash up at the end!

It's easy to take the ubiquity of the internal combustion engine for granted given how many of them there are and how many people use them on a daily basis. I'm always blown away by the complexity of them - how many mechanical components made to incredible tolerances are needed to harness thousands of tiny explosions every minute and do that hour after hour, day after day with only minor maintenance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts