Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally got around to having a look at my new 2019 40kwh Leaf with Leafspy. I was surprised to find that it is actually a 37.4 kwh Leaf. SoH is 99.13% and SoC is 95.2%.

I am probably being thick but can someone explain this to me. The Leaf is fully charged (I left it to finish completely so it should have done all its cell balancing etc).and showing 145 miles on the GOM. The outside temperature here is around 5 degrees C.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I was going to say that the missing 2.6kWh is just the reserved amount that protects the battery from being over-discharged. All EVs have it... But I thought LeafSpy would show 100% SoC in that case.

How did you charge it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
100% sorry if I wasn't clear - I allowed it to charge fully until it stopped of its own accord

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Maybe one charge isn't enough data. Try running it down as far a you can safely and then charging it again. Sometimes that helps.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
So, I finally got around to having a look at my new 2019 40kwh Leaf with Leafspy. I was surprised to find that it is actually a 37.4 kwh Leaf. SoH is 99.13% and SoC is 95.2%.

I am probably being thick but can someone explain this to me. The Leaf is fully charged (I left it to finish completely so it should have done all its cell balancing etc).and showing 145 miles on the GOM. The outside temperature here is around 5 degrees C.

Thanks!
95.2 divided by 37.4 times 40 = 101% (approx)
The car preventing the charge going to the full 40kWh to protect the battery in the same way it won't let the battery drop to zero.
GOM readings will be lower in this cold weather.
How many GIDs showing on LeafSpy. Should be circa 500.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A "GID" is a calculation that NISSAN use to calculate the usable energy remaining in the battery.

Its the Watts that remain in the battery at any given one time Divided by 77.5

For example: your 482 multiplied by 77.5 = 37,375 Watts or 37.4 KWh

or 37,400 Watts Divided by 77.5 = 482 GIDS

When you charge your vehicle to 100% SOC then LEAFSPY will never read 100% - The SOC is read directly from the Battery Management System (BMS) and is based on the current capacity in the Battery. Its not an indication of the energy contained in the Battery.

For example: My LEAF 40 KWh is now 20 Months old and has covered 23K miles.

Last Charge to 100% - LEAFSPY reads 464 GIDS - 36.0 KWh Remain - SOC = 96.7% and the current state of Health (SOH) - 93.99%.

I am afraid your reading of 37.5 KWh Remain is about as good as it gets, the 40 KWh LEAF is never 40 KWh - they keep 2.5 Kwh back that is inaccessible and never available to protect the Battery from overcharging and running the Battery completely flat.

I always thought it disingenuous of NISSAN to call it "LEAF 40 KWh)" they should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act. It should be called the "LEAF 37.5 KWh"

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The battery sounds to be in good health. Nothing to worry about at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A "GID" is a calculation that NISSAN use to calculate the usable energy remaining in the battery.

Its the Watts that remain in the battery at any given one time Divided by 77.5

For example: your 482 multiplied by 77.5 = 37,375 Watts or 37.4 KWh

or 37,400 Watts Divided by 77.5 = 482 GIDS

When you charge your vehicle to 100% SOC then LEAFSPY will never read 100% - The SOC is read directly from the Battery Management System (BMS) and is based on the current capacity in the Battery. Its not an indication of the energy contained in the Battery.

For example: My LEAF 40 KWh is now 20 Months old and has covered 23K miles.

Last Charge to 100% - LEAFSPY reads 464 GIDS - 36.0 KWh Remain - SOC = 96.7% and the current state of Health (SOH) - 93.99%.

I am afraid your reading of 37.5 KWh Remain is about as good as it gets, the 40 KWh LEAF is never 40 KWh - they keep 2.5 Kwh back that is inaccessible and never available to protect the Battery from overcharging and running the Battery completely flat.

I always thought it disingenuous of NISSAN to call it "LEAF 40 KWh)" they should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act. It should be called the "LEAF 37.5 KWh"
Thanks - that’s really helpful and I now understand the figures. I wonder if this is a Nissan feature or common to all EV suppliers ?
Btw I am still delighted with the 40 - in Tekna form I think it’s a great car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I expect EV manufacturers have similar systems for calculating battery capacity remaining, NISSAN had to make it up as they went along, being one of the first manufacturers to develop modern EV.

Funnily enough, it was one the LEAFSPY developers, called Gary Giddings, who discovered the calculation, hence the calculation is called “GIDS”.

Yes, I am with you, the LEAF is a brilliant car and one of the best EV’s in the price bracket, shame it’s just let down by not having active battery cooling.

Pleased I was able to help, but don’t worry to much about the battery, if there is a problem with it then the car will soon let you know. Also expect to lose range as the battery ages, after 2 years, I will have lost about 6 miles range.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A lot of people say that you need to be careful with Leafspy and not get too hung up on the exact numbers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I will echo that, while LEAFSPY gives accurate readings, they only reflect what the battery is doing and the battery is in a constant state of flux, what with outside temperatures, how hard the drain has been and rapid charging etc.

For example: I charged over last night to 100%, very hard frost this morning and remaining KWh had dropped from 36KWh to 35.3 Kwh. Not to worry though it will be back up once it gets milder, I hope!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts