Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from a fairly reliable source that Sunderland has been making 40 KWH battery packs for a while now.

Considered to be the highest density that can handle passive heat management.

Is this old news or is there something in it? Could this be a stop gap measure until the new Leaf in 2018?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If they have been making these 40kWh packs for a while, then why no Nissan launch at the Paris motor show last week? Maybe these 40kWh packs are destined for the e-NV200? With Nissan and Renault basically being the same company and the same CEO, Nissan were obviously aware about the Zoe 41kWh launch using LG Chem developed batteries. I'm assuming Nissan are possibly trying to go for the 60kWh using LG Chem technology to compete against the Bolt\Ampera-e but when? I like many was disappointed at no Nissan EV announcements, especially that the Ampera-e is not to be manufactured in right-hand drive, the only new current offer for the UK is to be the improved Zoe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I heard, there is no way that the 60kWh packs can handle passive cooling and will need the development of an active cooling system which is likely on the cards for the 2018 Leaf 2.
Given that the 42kWh Zoe was announced in Paris maybe the Leaf 40 is destined for a little later in the year or for 2017? Just guessing.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder where the 40kWh Zoe pack is being made :LOL:
LG Chem - Poland?

Actually "At the 2016 Paris Motor Show, Renault unveiled a 41 kWh lithium-ion battery called the ZE40. The battery was developed by Renault and its partner LG Chem, and is assembled at the former's Flins plant"

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If they have been making these 40kWh packs for a while, then why no Nissan launch at the Paris motor show last week? Maybe these 40kWh packs are destined for the e-NV200? With Nissan and Renault basically being the same company and the same CEO, Nissan were obviously aware about the Zoe 41kWh launch using LG Chem developed batteries. I'm assuming Nissan are possibly trying to go for the 60kWh using LG Chem technology to compete against the Bolt\Ampera-e but when? I like many was disappointed at no Nissan EV announcements, especially that the Ampera-e is not to be manufactured in right-hand drive, the only new current offer for the UK is to be the improved Zoe.
Because as a manufacturer you don't want to lose sales of existing models by unveiling a product which isn't going to be ready for 6 months....

Expect 41KWH usable for March.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Because as a manufacturer you don't want to lose sales of existing models by unveiling a product which isn't going to be ready for 6 months....

I really hope that is available for delivery from March as my i3 goes back in May and I am currently 50% ready to go for a new 94Ah i3 and 50% stay with the diesel Skoda. A Leaf with ~40kWh would be a really nice option.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
No. 4th gen Modules are now 2s4p (vice 2s2p for gen2) about twice the thickness of the existing modules but only a tiny bit heavier. Whole pack is about 20KG heavier than the existing gen2 packs.

30KWH modules are produced in USA - hence why we haven't seen a 30KWH ENV200.

24KWH cars use existing stock of batteries and the Sunderland plant is currently producing the new gen 4 pack.

It seems as though the US and UK factories switch production while the other updates for newer technology.

·
Super Moderator
7,387 Posts

Any information or speculation on upgrades? Renault haven't said "no" to upgrading 22kwh to 41kwh, be nice if it were possible to upgrade a gen1 leaf to 41kwh.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
From what I heard, there is no way that the 60kWh packs can handle passive cooling and will need the development of an active cooling system which is likely on the cards for the 2018 Leaf 2.
Given that the 42kWh Zoe was announced in Paris maybe the Leaf 40 is destined for a little later in the year or for 2017? Just guessing.
How many growing families could switch to Zoe though? For a comparable sized car they dont really need to react until the Hyundai starts appearing in the showrooms and only if it gains any momentum

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,880 Posts
A 40kWh NV-200 makes a lot of sense. If Nissan could get production out it would rule the market.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Assuming a 40kw usable leaf versus the 41kw usable Zoe - what do we think the range difference would be?

I assume the leaf would have a lower range as it's a bigger (and presumably heavier?) car?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Assuming a 40kw usable leaf versus the 41kw usable Zoe - what do we think the range difference would be?

I assume the leaf would have a lower range as it's a bigger (and presumably heavier?) car?
Yes, the nominally 22kWh Zoe already has a much longer range than the usable 21kWh Leaf

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,880 Posts
There's plenty of room beneath the floor for more battery so 60 or even 80kwh should be possible.
It makes me wonder why they don't do it. They would sell shed loads.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It was suggested to me by Nissan that a new car with bigger battery was arriving at the end of this year. So a 40kW pack in production sounds right. Needs to be in a new car though.

Because let's be honest about it for a minute. Stick a petrol or diesel engine under the bonnet of a Leaf and it'd be a 6 year old design with looks that haven't aged well and interior plastics from 16 years ago. A bigger battery pack won't cut it

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It makes me wonder why they don't do it. They would sell shed loads.
It will probably be internal arguments, I'd imagine a lot of job losses if everyone suddenly switched to a 200+mile range electric van over the current diesel ones.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts