·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice an improved range so I suppose that would be a yes to that (?)

I don't drive the car fast when on long trips for obvious reasons but I found I was arriving at my destination with a noticably higher state of charge than I would normally have expected.

This did come as quite a surprise to be to be honest as I have not seen the battery getting that warm before even on my previous long trips because I have never charged more than 5 times when battery temp is never an issue.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yeah, the increased 'punch' manifests itself as a reduction in the throttle position needed to maintain a cruise speed. It's weird. Coming home on Saturday from Brighton, I had 7 temp bars showing after 4 rapid stops. I could hold 65mph on the flat into a significant headwind with only 1 power dot.

Temperature management would definately unlock quite a bit of range.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am very surprised that there is so little temperature management in the Leaf. There is some but it is not anything like as much as there could be IMO.

For example... after 7 charges my battery temp was at 46degsC yet none of that could be "harvested" for cabin heat and I still had to have the cabin heat on a bit to save of the 7degs outside.

I am sure better temperature management will come in future EVs

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Thats very good going! I have noticed the definite increase in performance after the battery has been rapid charged in this weather thats for sure, my car really takes off after its warmed the pack up with a rapid charge.

I am pretty lucky living where I live as I can use the RC network to get from Banbury to West wales, the south coast and the north midlands and I can do this for free, I cant afford a Tesla or any car with a big battery pack in it at the moment so this is the best option for me at the moment, not ruling out an I3 REX in the future though.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Does heat from the batteries permeate into the cabin via conduction/convection?
Not intentionally. I put my hand under the seat & I couldn't feel any. However, over on the stateside leaf forum there are plenty of anecdotes about hot cabins as a result of hot batteries on hot days.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
a few people did experiment with plug in seat warming pads that run off the 12v system, did anyone find one that made a real difference to driving the leaf in the depths of winter

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I have not tried them in my Leaf but I have been told that they work well, certainly more efficient than heating the cabin, the problem I find is keeping the screen clear not so much the cold, quick blast on the front demister normally does the trick though, have heard of sprays you can put on the screen but not sure how effective they are.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I used to have a bottle of stuff for my motorbike visor, can't remember the name offhand but if it comes back to me I will post it. There was also a type of wax crayon that was used to draw over the visor then you had to polish it off but not sure how practical it would be to use on the inside of a windscreen.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does heat from the batteries permeate into the cabin via conduction/convection?
My battery temps were recorded at 51.6 degsC using LeafSpy. I realise that these temps could be wrong as LeafSpy is not Nissan approved but I suspect that it might be pretty accurate. Given battery temps that high I would have thought that I would be able to feel some heat rising up from the battery into the cabin but I could not.

It looks to me like the battery is very well thermally insulated and that would also explain why they take so long to cool down.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I would have thought it would be better to thermally insulate the underside and let battery heat energy escape into the cabin both to warm it in winter for free but also allow quicker return to normal after a rapid charge.

If Nevada owners are claiming it heats the cabin but you guys can't feel it in winter here, that smacks of them elaborating their case.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Perhaps with much lower ambient temperatures I would feel the heat in the cabin?

I did my drive mostly at 5-9degsC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts