Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VW are presently offering a 48 hour test drive in the eGolf, arranged through your local dealer.

I'm guessing they are pushing again to get rid of all the eGolf stock before the ID.3 comes next year, (there was another eGolf advert on itv last night as well).

I have an ID.3 deposit but will probably have a test drive anyway as i have never driven one before, (only GTE, Ioniq bev, Kona ev, and eNiro), and am interested to see what it is like.

So anyone considering buying a new one before they disappear, this is a good chance to "try before you buy". :)

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
449 Posts
Yeah I got this email as well but I am not going bite as I have an EV Experience car for a week. Just need to thank of somewhere to go in it so I can really stretch its legs.

·
Premium Member
9,856 Posts
I'm guessing they are pushing again to get rid of all the eGolf stock before the ID.3 comes next year, (there was another eGolf advert on itv last night as well).
No. As they dont have the GTE to sell and the ID3 is over a year away they desperately need to sell the eGolfs so they can still sell high emission "clean diesel" Touaregs (etc) and keep within EU emission limits.

They were 'cheating' and selling lots of eGolf in Germany but shipping to Norway as "nearly new". Maybe they can't do that any longer :rolleyes:

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
I've just booked a 48Hr drive online for pick up next Saturday, with my local dealer. Last time I enquired with them,last year, they told me they had no interest in EV's and wouldn't be able to accomodate me! So I'm sort of expecting a call back to cancel or try and switch me to a non EV golf... we'll see

Might even be tempted by a heavily discounted e-golf as it's going to be obsolete old hat soon as I like the styling better than the ID. Will need to be about £10k off though.

·
Premium Member
9,856 Posts
I am sure VW will have to offer deals on eGolf as the WLTP range isn't great compared to the latest EVs and most people will now hold off for the ID3. I am surprised VW haven't done a deal with EVezy as it would be ideal for people who want a eGolf to tide them over until their ID3 arrives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Favguy @SB73 which dealership have you booked with? my nearest 2 dealerships are vertu; they say they are not participating in 48 hour test drive, just offer standard 15-30 minutes

·
Journeyman Human
293 Posts
I booked it with Grimsby via the website link offered to me in an e-mail. I've had no confirmation as yet from the dealership. I'll check in with them nearer Saturday to make sure it is 48 hours, if it isn't I'll just cancel.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I to have been offered a 48 hour test drive of the e.Golf !.
Jumped at the chance to both SEE and drive one !.
Never driven a full BEV before so am keen to give it a go.
My local dealer ( where I bough my GTE from ) are only doing two day test drives on week days.
They are keeping the car on site at the weekend for short test drives only.
I think they have the car on loan from VW because it will only be there for four weeks.
I think they have had it a week already and the test drive requests have been popular.
I have the car for 48 hours on Monday & Tuesday next week.
After only a week of ownership of the GTE - I was pretty much sure my next car should be a BEV.
The GTE is a great car, let’s see if the e.Golf can offer some thing a little different ???.
It will take some beating I can tell you that !!.
I have been watching reviews about the car and by and large, they are very good !.
Questions:- How many members DON’T have the “Heat Pump” option, but really wished they DID ?.
Does it make a big difference to the range in the winter ?.
Any “X” GTE owners who NOW have an e.Golf - “Pro’s & Con’s” and do you regret the move to a full BEV ?.
Any tip’s or tricks to watch out for next week in order that the test drive is the best it can be, I want it to be a success !.
I guess the most important one is :-
“Don’t run out of energy”.
If this was to happen, then any chance of convincing my wife over to a full BEV is a lost cause and will be game over straight away.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I to have been offered a 48 hour test drive of the e.Golf !.
Jumped at the chance to both SEE and drive one !.
Never driven a full BEV before so am keen to give it a go.
My local dealer ( where I bough my GTE from ) are only doing two day test drives on week days.
They are keeping the car on site at the weekend for short test drives only.
I think they have the car on loan from VW because it will only be there for four weeks.
I think they have had it a week already and the test drive requests have been popular.
I have the car for 48 hours on Monday & Tuesday next week.
After only a week of ownership of the GTE - I was pretty much sure my next car should be a BEV.
The GTE is a great car, let’s see if the e.Golf can offer some thing a little different ???.
It will take some beating I can tell you that !!.
I have been watching reviews about the car and by and large, they are very good !.
Questions:- How many members DON’T have the “Heat Pump” option, but really wished they DID ?.
Does it make a big difference to the range in the winter ?.
Any “X” GTE owners who NOW have an e.Golf - “Pro’s & Con’s” and do you regret the move to a full BEV ?.
Any tip’s or tricks to watch out for next week in order that the test drive is the best it can be, I want it to be a success !.
I guess the most important one is :-
“Don’t run out of energy”.
If this was to happen, then any chance of convincing my wife over to a full BEV is a lost cause and will be game over straight away.
As you know, I went from a GTE to the e-Golf, and I don’t regret it. I’ve done some longer journeys now and charging isn’t too much hassle, although I charge at home most of the time. It’s so lovely and quiet, but still accelerates well.

I don’t think the heat pump is worth it in the UK. If you check VWs website and put in the UK average temperatures of 10-12C then it literally only adds a few miles of range. For £800 that’s a lot of money you could spend on charging!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
As you know, I went from a GTE to the e-Golf, and I don’t regret it. I’ve done some longer journeys now and charging isn’t too much hassle, although I charge at home most of the time. It’s so lovely and quiet, but still accelerates well.

I don’t think the heat pump is worth it in the UK. If you check VWs website and put in the UK average temperatures of 10-12C then it literally only adds a few miles of range. For £800 that’s a lot of money you could spend on charging!
Thanks you @MrPaulus I was really hoping you would post a reply.
Can I ask, is there anything you miss on the GTE that you would like on the e.Golf ?.
Does the smaller wheel & tyre combo make the car even more silent in the e.Golf ?.
Also, the seats - I would suspect they are more like the seats in the standard Golf hold you in less, but are better suited to a longer smooth distance trip.
How long to charge from empty to full on a 32amp home wall box then ?.
I know YOU tend to just “Top it up” on a daily / nightly basis, much longer on a “Granny” ????.
Rapid....... about one hour ish ????.
Thanks in advance of your responce.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've had a couple of charges at home from almost empty to 100% - seems to be about 4.5 hours.

Granny charge takes forever. Best case scenario 10A at 230V is about 2.3kW. To "fill" 32 kWh in the battery would be just under 14 hours, but in reality it would be longer due to charging losses, not maintaining that rate throughout, etc. I've never tried it.

The longest I've been on a rapid is 67 minutes for 28.1kWh. That was 12 to 100% on my fourth rapid charge of the day. Usually I'm around 45 min for mid 20's percent to 90 odd percent. Generally takes 10 - 15 minutes from 90 to 100%, much quicker before then.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
We have the heat pump but it is hard to know if it makes any difference or not. Driving style and speed makes the most difference to range.
We ordered it as my wife does several short trips throughout the day and once a week is driving nearly 90 miles. She is now doing over 100 miles one day a week as well but plugs in for about an hour on both these days so she has plenty of range left. She's not one to test it and see if she could make it without charging! On really miserable days she drives slower and that helps more than the heat pump does.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks you @MrPaulus I was really hoping you would post a reply.
Can I ask, is there anything you miss on the GTE that you would like on the e.Golf ?.
Does the smaller wheel & tyre combo make the car even more silent in the e.Golf ?.
Also, the seats - I would suspect they are more like the seats in the standard Golf hold you in less, but are better suited to a longer smooth distance trip.
I know YOU tend to just “Top it up” on a daily / nightly basis, much longer on a “Granny” ????.
Rapid....... about one hour ish ????.
Thanks in advance of your responce.
Smaller wheels give a better ride.
I prefer the non 'sports' seats.
As above, 32A takes 5 hours if the battery is completely flat (but I've never done it)
Granny charger is 13 hours (read that somewhere)
A rapid charge via CCS: in 25 minutes I've done from 25% to 90%. It's only 40kW but it's more than good enough.

I miss the fancy ambient LED lighting, but I think it's an option.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Many thanks for the kind info above !.
Wow - five hours for almost a full charge on a wall box from home, I could live with that !.
Charging on E7 at night would be my preferred option here.
The “Granny” is really slow then when used on the e.Golf.
When charging the GTE the difference from wall box to Granny is less obvious but the battery is really small of course.
I want to test the range a little, but without going crazy when I get the e.Golf on Monday / Tuesday.
I want to try some of the trips we do with ease in the GTE now.
I don’t have any subs to charging posts right now because 99% of my charging is done from home.
One of our regular trips is made up of mostly flat country roads ( brilliant views ) with a mixture of between 30 - 50 MPH and with a TOTAL journey distance ( there and back ) of about 80 miles in total.
Another regular trip, is much different.
It is 99% motorway ( travelling at about 60 - 65 MPH ) over a distance of about 95 miles !.
The first trip offers NO chance of charging due to its rural location.
The second trip is a large shopping centre ( Trafford Centre - Manchester ) which I do believe does have charging facilities.
I would like to attempt each one of these trips over both days next week, but here is the “Kicker” - do you think I could achieve each one of these on the ONE single full charge ?????.
Would you risk the second trip given your experience with the e.Golf !.
I want to prove to my wife that our usual trips are “Do-able” in a BEV !.
If the answer to this question leaves you “Sucking air through your teeth” before you reply, then please be very truthful and please say “NO” - to risky!.
I want to prove a point, but not at the risk of travelling home on a flat bed !.
Should this happen, then my chances of getting my wife to agree to changing to a full BEV are finished before they even got started !. LOL !.
Thanks !.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The 80 mile country road trip should be easy.

The one to Trafford Centre is about a full charge each way. Depends how reliable charging there is. I tend to think of motorway range being up to 100 miles and I plan to charge approx every 80 miles.

But as my recent visit to more southerly climes has shown range seems better down south. I suspect its a combination of (much) flatter roads with a steadier, and probably slower, speed. Normally I expect to get about 3.3 - 3.5 miles/kWh at motorway speed. Recently on my way back up the M1 I was at 3.9 - 4.0 miles/kWh for the first hundred odd miles! Despite going at pretty close to 70mph. It did mess up my charging plans a bit, probably could have had one less stop, which would have been great on a 400 mile journey.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The longest I've been on a rapid is 67 minutes for 28.1kWh. That was 12 to 100% on my fourth rapid charge of the day. Usually I'm around 45 min for mid 20's percent to 90 odd percent. Generally takes 10 - 15 minutes from 90 to 100%, much quicker before then
Thank you @Jayne very helpful.
So, roughly about 45 - 1 hour to pick up a full charge then.
What does the GOM report as predicted available mileage after a full charge ?.
Other test drive videos I have watched, appears to indicate that the GOM reports a pretty close and accurate use of the energy consumed.
E.g. - 1 mile of distance covered, equals 1 mile of reduction of range on the GOM.
Have you found this to be true ?.
So, when your hit 5 miles left, you CAN actually cover 5 real miles before the cars crawls to a complete stand still.
A little surprised that the heat pump option does not reduce the drain on the HV battery by that much ?.
The normal resistive heater in the GTE has a massive effect on the HV battery in the winter, I have seen it take 8 - 10 miles from the range when it is really cold.
The e.Golf ( with out heat pump ) must have the same massive drain then, but a little less noticeable only because of the size of the pack I guess.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The one to Trafford Centre is about a full charge each way. Depends how reliable charging there is. I tend to think of motorway range being up to 100 miles and I plan to charge approx every 80 miles.
That’s a bit of a shock !.
The “Trafford Centre” trip at a steady 60 - 65 MPH is only about a 90 miles round journey.
Oh.... I was hoping to pull this off on the one single charge from home !.
I watched “James & Kate” ( You tube ) carry out a motorway range test in the e.Golf at an almost constant 70MPH.
James achieved at total of 107 miles before he limped to the charger with zero miles left.
My trip ( both ways ) is roughly 90 -95 miles in total, so a little disappointed then ☹.
Thanks, I really do appreciate your honesty.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That’s a bit of a shock !.
The “Trafford Centre” trip at a steady 60 - 65 MPH is only about a 90 miles round journey.
Oh.... I was hoping to pull this off on the one single charge from home !.
I watched “James & Kate” ( You tube ) carry out a motorway range test in the e.Golf at an almost constant 70MPH.
James achieved at total of 107 miles before he limped to the charger with zero miles left.
My trip ( both ways ) is roughly 90 -95 miles in total, so a little disappointed then ☹.
Thanks, I really do appreciate your honesty.
If you cut down your speed, it makes a massive difference to the range. During the warmer weather in May, I did a long journey, limiting myself to 60mph. I think I could have got >160 miles from a single charge. So, if I don't care about the range I'll accelerate quickly up to 75mph on the motorway. If I have a long journey I put it into Eco mode (limiting acceleration) and stick behind the lorries at 60mph. If you can cut it down to 50mph, you'd get excellent range in colder weather.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts