Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Finally have my 48-hour test drive with the car being delivered tomorrow. So, what should I be looking out for? What are your favourite hidden touches and what are your little gripes of the car I should look out for?

Will report back here with my impressions after the test drive and will then make a decision if I will proceed. Already have one on order as a business lease but now at the point where I need to start to make up my mind and submit some credit check papers etc. See separate thread on business lease prices I started for this.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The adaptive cruise control is amazing. Brilliant on A-roads and motorways. Works terrific in standing/crawling traffic too.
Have to say I’m less than impressed. I find the cruise jerky and over-sensitive. Rather than a smooth adjustment to speed it seems to want to brake first and think later. It also wanders when not locked onto a car. If I put the i3 at 60mph, it stayed at 60mph. The Kia wanders between 59 and 61 as though it’s slow to anticipate changes in road conditions.

If I’m following a car in lane 1 and it pulls off on a slip road and slows, the Kia often decelerates quite alarmingly even though the car in front has left the lane.

In slow traffic it does work well although if the traffic keeps stopping you still have to make it go unless I’ve missed that bit in the manual?

I‘ve got to the point now where I only use cruise in limited situations as I find the constant on and off power to be somewhat irritating. I can drive smoother myself Which is disappointing.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The best bit is the range. There are other car I would prefer to drive but this is a practical size and shape and has a big battery.

Have to say I’m less than impressed. I find the cruise jerky and over-sensitive. Rather than a smooth adjustment to speed it seems to want to brake first and think later. It also wanders when not locked onto a car. If I put the i3 at 60mph, it stayed at 60mph. The Kia wanders between 59 and 61 as though it’s slow to anticipate changes in road conditions.
I haven't driven an i3 with Adaptive Cc but the Niro is as good as other cars I have driven with it on. Is there something wrong with yours? I have driven cars where the speed fluctuates quite a lot but I don't find the Niro any worse than other cars I have driven. I does brake at times I don't want it to but the Golf is as bad at slowing for cars that are pulling off the road. You can use the accelerator to override it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments guys - will definitely give the cruise control a really good test and see what I think. I agree with with @Woodulike though that the Golf one is very good so if it is anything like this I will be pleased. Very intrigued to try the lane follow assist too.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will take it for a longer test drive but first impressions are very positive!

Looks a lot better in the flesh than in pictures I feel and the inside is nicer than expected. Plastics slightly too hard in the dash and the screen resolution and responsiveness to touch isn't great but think the second edition addresses many of my gripes with the interior. JBL stereo is brilliant and the heated seats and steering wheel are excellent too. Really like the whole centre console design. Steering was a bit too light for me.

Tried the ACC on some 50 roads and thought it was very good an no different to the Golf (only briefly though so will try again) and it was great in stop start traffic too. The lane keeping was disconcerting but very good - though I didn't seem to be able to turn it off, even pressing the button to the right of steering wheel - was I missing something?

Also, does it switch off auto-hold on the parking break every time you turn the ignition off or am I doing something wrong?

I will have to get used to the larger feeling size - I have always loved Golfs as they feel so go cart like to drive. On this point, took a roundabout relatively quickly and it was OK but will really miss the handling of something like a Golf. But that is not what it's for and was impressed by boot size, comfort etc - all what the family rather than I need! :)

Although side by side on the picture they don't look very different in size there is big difference in the flesh:

·
Registered
95 Posts
The auto-hold turns off when you switch the car off. When you turn the car on, keep your foot on the brake and press it - this gives you the correct 'green' auto-hold. If you press it with the brake off it gives you an 'orange' auto-hold which has a sort of creep feature.

My routine when turning on is - keep foot on brake, press heated seat, steering wheel, auto-hold and parking sensor (although this comes on when you engage reverse).

I've changed my door locking for when gear is engaged too.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Looks a lot better in the flesh than in pictures I feel
I thought the same.
Steering was a bit too light for me
Yep
I will have to get used to the larger feeling size
I don’t think it’s just the size. I’m not an SUV driver, but it had a bit of a wallow and roll on country roads. If you do much country driving, definitely try some on your test drive. Fantastic on the motorway though - I didn’t have any issues with the ACC, although that’s another thing I’m not used to.

And the range was very impressive. I’d been driving it for a couple of hours around Derbyshire and I thought I’d check how much further I could go. The answer: France!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The auto-hold turns off when you switch the car off. When you turn the car on, keep your foot on the brake and press it - this gives you the correct 'green' auto-hold. If you press it with the brake off it gives you an 'orange' auto-hold which has a sort of creep feature.

My routine when turning on is - keep foot on brake, press heated seat, steering wheel, auto-hold and parking sensor (although this comes on when you engage reverse).

I've changed my door locking for when gear is engaged too.
Thanks for this - seems strange that it turns off when you switch the car off. Is that why it does a disconcerting mini roll when you engage park and then let go of the breaks too? Where I park I will always have to engage reverse anyway so hopefully won't need to switch this on every time.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it a 1st or 2020 you're testing? If the latter, does it still have the retractable cover for the boot?
Sorry, first edition. I can't imagine they would get rid of it on the new one? Boot size and practicality is very good, especially coming from the GTE...!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don’t think it’s just the size. I’m not an SUV driver, but it had a bit of a wallow and roll on country roads. If you do much country driving, definitely try some on your test drive. Fantastic on the motorway though - I didn’t have any issues with the ACC, although that’s another thing I’m not used to.

And the range was very impressive. I’d been driving it for a couple of hours around Derbyshire and I thought I’d check how much further I could go. The answer: France!
Thanks for this. I have never owned an SUV either so this is something I'm interested in. Thankfully I do a lot of town and motorway so won't be a huge issue but will go for a longer test drive tonight and take into the Cotswolds for a test.

As for range, it seems amazing! The delivery guy had come 42 miles with a full battery this morning and the car was showing 201 miles range. He had achieved 4.2mi/kwh. Took it or a 7 mile test drive round town and the ring road and it was still showing 201 when I got back, possibly because I engaged Eco a couple of miles before home? And this was with a few hard accelerations thrown in and the HVAC set to auto and 20.5C.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I
Is there something wrong with yours? I have driven cars where the speed fluctuates quite a lot but I don't find the Niro any worse than other cars I have driven.
I’m not sure the fidgeting around is ACC related. It seems to be more software / hardware interface. When travelling on a straight road with no traffic in front, I‘d expect the car to hold its speed. It seems to be slow to respond to changes in the road. Maybe it’s because I live in an area when there are many sections of fast carriageway with undulations.

It’s not huge but irksome, like a poor driver with slow anticipation and the inability to feed power in progressively resulting sometimes in a series of small over-corrections, power on, back off, more power, too much, little less, not enough, bit more etc etc

I’m pretty sure it’s not bad enough to be a fault and it is very very minor but I’ve never noticed a cruise control that is as ponderous.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you going to do a long range test? Not quite a 1000km challenge, but to show what the real world range would be for you. 250 miles, more if hypermiling? Also how did you manage to get a 48 hour test? When I wanted to test drive an Ioniq the only option given to me was a test drive with the dealer as the passenger.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you going to do a long range test? Not quite a 1000km challenge, but to show what the real world range would be for you. 250 miles, more if hypermiling? Also how did you manage to get a 48 hour test? When I wanted to test drive an Ioniq the only option given to me was a test drive with the dealer as the passenger.
They have 48 hour test drives available for potential fleet customers. But a huge wait! I asked for mine in late October and the earliest they could was get me today and tomorrow! As such I had little control of getting the car for when I had a lot of free time so no long range test unfortunately as quite a bit at work to do - so the odd longer drive in the evening instead...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
There are so many review videos online testing the range, they cannot all be wrong. It seems pretty pointless in my opinion.
Agreed, it’s evident even from shorter journeys how good it is!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The general overall concenses appears to suggest that the majority of people had under-estimated how good this car actually appears to be. It would appear that the only possible issue which, when seeing it in the flash, will turn people off, is possibly the boot size. The other turn off would be the expected delivery delay.

I expect to be shot down for saying this but I personally have ordered mine, due in March or April, and while I sat in one in a showroom, that's the nearest I've got to sitting behind the wheel of not only an e-Niro, but of any EV for that matter. With all the video reviews and awards, I know that it can do what it says on the tin, and it will just take an hour or so to adapt to an EV. But on balance, since the car suits every part of my needs, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The other brilliant thing about the car is the amount of space underneath the boot. I've taken out the two layers of polystyrene and this gives me loads of space for charging cables and all my dog walking stuff - it's massive!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts