Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another item on my pre delivery to do list is investigate 4g 'tethering' I think it's called - does anyone have experience of this? Test drives I had were spoiled by rubbish (O2) 3G reception - I'm thinkng of upgrading to 4G on iphone so if there were a way to link so as to get better data signal that would be good.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
If you think 3G reception is rubbish, I think you're in for a shock using 4G. You might get decent speeds/coverage in major cities, but coverage is sporadic (at best) and non-existent (more common) in most of the country.

Reactions: Mark Sanders

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I take your point however from what I've seen (a friend has O2 4g) the coverage is very good in the coventry area where I live - and where id be doing most of my tesla driving.

Alternative strategy might be (as you apparently can't change the cars sim) to supplement the cars O2 3G coverage with 3G from another supplier via your phone - but this why I want to find out how/if tethering works.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is brief discussion on tesla forum from July 13 that seems to suggest you can't disable the free 3G on the car - therefore tethering not possible. Some suggestion EM on record as saying may be allowed when wifi enabled - but as far as I remember no wifi on test drive vehicle I tried , only Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Not true. You set your phone up as a wifi hotspot and connect the car to that. It will always prefer wifi over 3G, so you'll get 4G speeds if your phone is 4G. Works really well.

Bear in mind, tethering kills the phone battery, and the car eats data, so make sure you have unlimited, uncapped 4G data.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Either sounds good. Re data my preferred 4g provider is giffgaff (O2 network) but only offer 5GB max. Anyone have any idea of typical data usage? Also, ask a silly question but I'm guessing there is a usb outlet - isn't this ok for aux device charging?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got no direct experience, but I would be very surprised if the car doesn't get significantly better coverage than your phone.

Your phone has an arial which has been crammed into the smallest space possible. I imagine that the car has a properly tuned arial for the mobile module.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Basically it was only sporadically better than 3G. There is no benefit it a 4G tether unless you have a reliable signal, but why not buy a little 4G-WiFi modem and run that from the cars wiring instead of use a handset as a tether? ;)
No benefit to that either, unless you install a dedicated external antenna for the MiFi and your network has decent data coverage. i.e. not O2.

The Model S has antenna for the 3G modem in the wing mirrors, which helps, as the inside of the car is like a faraday cage (also a known problem for RFID toll tags).

You can charge your device from the USB ports.

I have an 8Gb data allowance with Vodafone and get a good 4G or H+ signal in most places. When I tried tethering, map tiles loaded much quicker, and I could access high bandwidth streams on TuneIn.

About 30mins of driving around like that managed to blow several hundred Mb. At that rate, my 8G allowance would be gone in less than a week! So, I would only recommend tethering as a backup for when you have no 3G and absolutely must have online google maps.

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
I've successfully driven around Los Angeles tethered to both 4G and 3G devices. Various wi-fi hotspots and smartphones.

I have tested with wifi hotspots - Novotel Mifi 2200, Novotel Mifi 2352, and FreedomPop Photon. These are a mix of GSM and CDMA (though not any UK providers are CDMA, as far as I know).

I have also tested tethered to an Apple iPhone 4s (CDMA) and BlackBerry Q10.

I have a generous data plan and the service didn't seem to use up too much data.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Ok. Either sounds good. Re data my preferred 4g provider is giffgaff (O2 network) but only offer 5GB max. Anyone have any idea of typical data usage? Also, ask a silly question but I'm guessing there is a usb outlet - isn't this ok for aux device charging?
There are two USB ports toward the back of the centre tray :)

One thing I have noticed is the radio is very sensitive to RF interference from the mobile phone. So putting the phone in the tray while charging can be a bit annoying. I tend to put my phone in the cup-holders now.

I've noticed this with both my Sony Xperia, and my daughter's Blackberry.

I can't comment if the premium sound cars are as badly affected.

One trick for Android device owners is to use a dedicated "charge cable" because both ports are data enabled, otherwise you get reduced charging rates.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
It definitely happens with the Premium Sound package. Extremely annoying, especially when you are in a call.

For me, it happens when the phone falls back to 2G. The underground car park at work is a perfect place for this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@Jimbo , do you get interference on any audio source or just FM? I only ever really use DAB or internet radio and haven't noticed it on that. I did once have FM completely swamped by noise when connected to an Ecotricity charger.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
@Doug Neal All sources, and even when the audio is on mute. Mentioned it to Tesla last time I dropped the car in. They said it is a known issue and recommended that I store the phone in the cup holder or keep it in my pocket.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
@Jimbo I've not noticed it on mute, but I'm sure you are right it's not the FM signal that's being interfered with, as it happens on RDIO (which is all I listen to now).

I soon worked out the phone placement tricks so it's only really an annoyance when the kids are in the car and drop the phone in the tray. (I try to avoid this as they have a tendency to leave grubby fingerprints everywhere :D )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts