Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy either. There are plenty of ZS's around for just below 20k, I also have a shot at getting a 5 Exclusive delivered below the 20k mark as well. So, I'm comparing Exclusives, high seated (ZS) or estate (5) . Features are similar except:

Range (obvs)
Sunroof
Seating height (I have knackered knees and getting in and out of the higher vehicle would make life much easier).
Age, the 5 is less than 6 month old - ex demonstrator

I'd love to hear some opinions before I have to make my mind up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love my MG5. The range and handling are great, way better than the ZS in both regards. The seating position is a fair bit higher than in my previous car because the batteries push the whole cabin floor higher. It's worth sitting in one to be sure.

The ZS has MG Pilot and Adaptive Cruise Control which are absent from the 5 and a bunch of other gadgets too. If those are more important to you than range and handling then maybe go for the ZS. If you want to reliable be able to cover 150 miles whatever the weather, and want to actually know your remaining battery percentage then go for the 5.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given I'm in Cornwall, so it's mostly A roads, around town and short dual carriageway stints, handling will be more important that the gadgets. The Mrs likes the idea of the panoramic roof but I've had less happy experiences driving into the sun with them.

The big selling point is range for me, Having just missed out on a 39KWH Kona dropping 20+ miles range or gaining more isn't really a tough choice.

Thanks for the nudge, I’m going to have a chat with the dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just a quick note to say that 'sport' mode gives you the best steering feel if you get the chance for a test drive.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Also remember the 5 lacks a lot of active safety features. I’d be worried about crashworthiness too - until the “Westernised” facelift is released and put through NCAP.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
471 Posts
Given I'm in Cornwall, so it's mostly A roads, around town and short dual carriageway stints, handling will be more important that the gadgets. The Mrs likes the idea of the panoramic roof but I've had less happy experiences driving into the sun with them.

The big selling point is range for me, Having just missed out on a 39KWH Kona dropping 20+ miles range or gaining more isn't really a tough choice.

Thanks for the nudge, I’m going to have a chat with the dealer in the morning.
I don’t understand the issue of driving into the sun with the panoramic roof? The windscreen is normal height and the roof starts above the drivers head, in any event there is a blind under the roof. The ZS handles well enough for me in Hampshire’s single track lanes, most critics compare it to a Porsche or similar, it’s an SUV and handles like one.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,046 Posts
I'd suggest you try both. MG5 has range on its side, and from what I gather drives well for a EV estate. MG ZS as I've found goes round corners just fine, maybe a bit softly sprung but its no ditch finder. As you said you live in Cornwall you'd probably find both cars will have good range, its never really particularly cold down there compared to say Scotland.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy either. There are plenty of ZS's around for just below 20k, I also have a shot at getting a 5 Exclusive delivered below the 20k mark as well. So, I'm comparing Exclusives, high seated (ZS) or estate (5) . Features are similar except:

Range (obvs)
Sunroof
Seating height (I have knackered knees and getting in and out of the higher vehicle would make life much easier).
Age, the 5 is less than 6 month old - ex demonstrator

I'd love to hear some opinions before I have to make my mind up.
I'm 6'4" and 110kg I do find it a little more challenging getting in and out of the MG5 Vs my Kia soul which is more SUV like. Give them a try. The zs has more tech on it if that your thing. I find lane assist likes to try and kill cyclists when you over take them.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also remember the 5 lacks a lot of active safety features. I’d be worried about crashworthiness too - until the “Westernised” facelift is released and put through NCAP.
Aah, yes the facelift, I'd forgotten all about that. That can't have a positive impact on pre-facelift versions if history tells me anything.

I don’t understand the issue of driving into the sun with the panoramic roof? The windscreen is normal height and the roof starts above the drivers head, in any event there is a blind under the roof. The ZS handles well enough for me in Hampshire’s single track lanes, most critics compare it to a Porsche or similar, it’s an SUV and handles like one.
The sunroof thing I experienced driving my parents' car. Being autistic and having a slight aversion to sudden bright lights, the roof did make a difference. That said, it's a little thing and I'd probably get used to it again.

I'd suggest you try both. MG5 has range on its side, and from what I gather drives well for a EV estate. MG ZS as I've found goes round corners just fine, maybe a bit softly sprung but its no ditch finder. As you said you live in Cornwall you'd probably find both cars will have good range, its never really particularly cold down there compared to say Scotland.
Tried both, range was a consideration but the facelift thing and height made a huge difference to me.

I'm 6'4" and 110kg I do find it a little more challenging getting in and out of the MG5 Vs my Kia soul which is more SUV like. Give them a try. The zs has more tech on it if that your thing. I find lane assist likes to try and kill cyclists when you over take them.

Sent from my NX629J using Tapatalk
It's not my height that makes the difference but not having to lift my weight with my knee. To open the door fully, spin round and lift with both legs (as you're supposed to, apparently) needs either a disabled space or an empty space beside me. Otherwise, it's a case of getting out as the majority of people do, pushing up with the right leg (my bad one). However, the ZS doesn't require a lift so massively reduces the space required and stress through the knee.

In the absence of another Kona at the right price, I'll be getting a ZX Exclusive, now it's just deciding on colour (I'm not a fan of this monochromatic trend of black/white/grey. So it'll be red or blue.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
The blue looks fantastic. Was very fond of mine.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
484 Posts
Aah, yes the facelift, I'd forgotten all about that. That can't have a positive impact on pre-facelift versions if history tells me anything.
And here is a preview of said facelift, not a massive difference back and side look the same to me just the front that's changed (oh and the infamous roof bars!), interior is a bit different though and it looks like the back seats have been improved with more cushioning

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
njm, thanks for that, like Petriix I prefer the new front. I still feel that buying a 5 now, knowing the facelift is due is not a wise choice for my money. We all know cars depreciate but knowing there's going to be a big hit soon and your car will always have a negative 'label' of pre facelift whenever you try to sell it doesn't make good sense to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, much prefer the front on this one and the slightly larger wheels help I think, will be interesting to see what kind of "MG look" it gets for this market.
Not sure about some of the controls like HVAC etc moving to touch-screen though.
Wonder what will happen with battery size, the GOM range in the brief view in the video looked pretty large for the % SOC but may not be realistic of course.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,046 Posts
What's going on at 2mins 41? The chap is showing the different menus etc by clicking on the screen, but then it changed fractionally before he touches it. Almost like its just a display and he's pretending to press (lipsync for a better term) and he's too late. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gerbro

·
Registered
431 Posts
The current MG5 is already the cheapest > 50kWh EV by some considerable distance. I didn't buy it based on its future value or how it will stack up against future models. I bought it because it's the first reasonably affordable EV with enough range to fit my driving profile.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
484 Posts
Apparently the battery is 61.1 kWh gross so probably around 58 kWh net and it possibly might have ACC too, no idea when it's coming here though wouldn't be surprised if it's 2022 or later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shows 197km @ 44% so 450km @ 100% which equates to a 68KWH (gross) battery. Also has cameras front, rear & bottom of mirrors. Small sunroof, LED headlights and possibly lane assist. Front looks good but doesn't gel with the rest of the car plus as said prefer manual heater controls. Apparently the motor will be more powerful but the extra weight will affect handling & performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts