Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
R240 coming up to 5 years and Renault want £333 to change the coolant. Now it’s not that much coolant as it’s not like the battery is water cooled, wtf Renault!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
If it’s such a quick and easy job, do it yourself.

Better yet, just don’t do it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it’s such a quick and easy job, do it yourself.

Better yet, just don’t do it.
well considering when I checked the pricing earlier this year it was £125 and now £333 that’s quite a jump. It’s not like the coolant change on a Tesla! Which was done last year on our model X for £900

I’m not doing it myself because I have no idea about cars or maintenance

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
well considering when I checked the pricing earlier this year it was £125 and now £333 that’s quite a jump. It’s not like the coolant change on a Tesla! Which was done last year on our model X for £900

Shop around?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts

Do they have to isolate the HV battery to do it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
R240 coming up to 5 years and Renault want £333 to change the coolant. Now it’s not that much coolant as it’s not like the battery is water cooled, wtf Renault!
Just had my R240/2015 done at DSG Morecambe
Comprised.
"A" service
Coolant change
Cabin air filter £18.87 (no seriously).
Coolant £11.28
Screen wash £1.50
Lots of labour and VAT
Total £209.80

If it is only once a year I can live with it.
And they are quite nice people.
Cheaper than an ageing diesel.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just had my R240/2015 done at DSG Morecambe
Comprised.
"A" service
Coolant change
Cabin air filter £18.87 (no seriously).
Coolant £11.28
Screen wash £1.50
Lots of labour and VAT
Total £209.80

If it is only once a year I can live with it.
And they are quite nice people.
Cheaper than an ageing diesel.
yeah I would but It’s 300 miles away lol

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts
Surely if DSG can do it for £210, all dealerships should be able to? Aren’t labour times standardised by the manufacturer. Unless labour costs are a lot less in Morecambe?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Labour times are standardised. Labour costs aren't. That's why when you book a service online, you get several different quotes for the same work. Our's varied by £50 for the fifth service, including an MOT.

You need full PPE and EV-specific training to do the coolant change as you're working with the drive battery. That's what you pay for unless you want to pay a cowboy less to cut corners.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
Always get a quote breakdown. There are usually extras that are optional, which can make a lot of difference.

It’s a classic upsell arrangement. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Labour times are standardised. Labour costs aren't. That's why when you book a service online, you get several different quotes for the same work. Our's varied by £50 for the fifth service, including an MOT.

You need full PPE and EV-specific training to do the coolant change as you're working with the drive battery. That's what you pay for unless you want to pay a cowboy less to cut corners.
the coolant isn’t anywhere near the battery

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But it is near the motor/invertor. Hence it probably needs HV disconnect procedure, which I understand is a lengthy process in the Zoe.
having seen links to the process it’s a scam. If you think putting on PPE and pulling out the cut out fuse in the drivers floor panel a “lengthy process” then I’m not sure why they charge over an hour for doing so

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
having seen links to the process it’s a scam. If you think putting on PPE and pulling out the cut out fuse in the drivers floor panel a “lengthy process” then I’m not sure why they charge over an hour for doing so
I was just relaying the comments from DSG on this procedure.

Some details here, referring to the brake fluid change, but I expect the same applies to the coolant changes:

Battery lockout process is 45 minutes alone.

Maybe they have to activate the electric pumps using the CLIP computer to ensure all the air is out of the system.

Just guesswork of course. I suggest you interrogate a Renault master tech. ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,310 Posts
If its a battery hire car you should get it done as its necessary to keep you above board with your hire agreement requirements.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts