Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I booked my 2015 27kWh Soul into NK Motors Derby for its service, it had a recall on the Electronic Parking brake and a service action (BMS / FATC UPGRADE - Operation logic improvement. While battery charging.

So when I took it in I asked if it was possible to get a battery health check so I could see the SOH of the battery, I was told they'd check and ask if this was possible during the service. Upon collection, after having a rear wiper blade, pollen filter and new tyres inflator kit as the old one was out of date, I asked if they'd managed to get me the battery state of health. This to me sounds like a reasonable request, but the guy on the service desk first started going on about the 12v battery and how mine was fine, then the state of charge... I told him it was the high voltage traction battery I was trying to find out about. He went and checked with the service department, apparently they don't do that, checking the battery would only be possible if there was a suspected problem with the battery....!? After several attempts to show it was indeed possible and many people on here have uploaded images of their print outs from Kia dealers I decided to give up. But I also wanted some clarity on what the recall and service action that they had done was actually for, what did they do, how would the parking brake work differently... He checked again... 'well they're software updates..' was the answer... At this point I realised I was banging my head against a wall, surely they should know and be able to tell me this information without such disinterest..??

Has anyone had any experience with this dealership or any information on what the 'software updates' I've had done will affect the car..?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,529 Posts
Sorry, can't comment on the dealer, but it should be easy to get at least some general idea of your SOH using an OBD2? And an app like CarScanner. I can see SOH on my Soul64, maybe yours will be shown as well?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also asked the question about the rapid charge ending at 83% and whether this would change this making it top out at 94% like the 30kwh and many other 27kwh users on here... I was greeted with a similarly vacant stare..

Just checked and can confirm a rapid still ends at 83%....

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,568 Posts
It really is shocking how poor some dealers are with service, of all marques. It may be worth posting a list of Kia dealers who do servicing within say 50 miles of you on here and ask what their service is like. There are some good ones around worth traveling a bit further than you would like for good service. I have 3 at 13/35/50 miles from us and I would travel for a good one, fortunately the one at 13 miles is good. As for the battery health charge to 100% one day and drive down to 50% and double the result for a good idea of how it is. You should get about 45 miles on 50% mixed driving in winter above 5 degrees with seats/steerin wheel heated and a little A/C from time to time. Less than 40 miles from 50% from a 2015 27kw I would start to worry and go down the route of getting an OBD2 dongle.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
233 Posts
If you have an Android phone or tablet, buy a copy of the SOUL EV Spy app, and a KONWEI KW902 Bluetooth OBD2 interface here. It will give the battery State of Health (SOH). If it is below 70%, your KIA warranty should replace it. The app will also show you whether you have one or more battery cells notably weaker then the rest.

The dealer will not accept the value you get, but it should be enough to prompt them making an "official" reading.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is shocking how poor some dealers are with service, of all marques. It may be worth posting a list of Kia dealers who do servicing within say 50 miles of you on here and ask what their service is like. There are some good ones around worth traveling a bit further than you would like for good service. I have 3 at 13/35/50 miles from us and I would travel for a good one, fortunately the one at 13 miles is good. As for the battery health charge to 100% one day and drive down to 50% and double the result for a good idea of how it is. You should get about 45 miles on 50% mixed driving in winter above 5 degrees with seats/steerin wheel heated and a little A/C from time to time. Less than 40 miles from a 2015 27kw I would start to worry and go down the route of getting an OBD2 dongle.
Thanks for the advice. I'm in the Derby area so anyone with any experience of dealers in the East Midlands would be good. I mean was I asking such a difficult question, 'can you give me a battery state of health check' surely this is the most critical part of an EV... I think an email to Kia to see if or which dealers are able to provide this information is in order.

As far as the range, on the GOM at 100% currently I'm seeing 80 miles, I did 51 miles yesterday and was down to 52% remaining, this was probably an average of around 4 miles / kWh. So I'm pretty confident I could eek out about 100 miles if I ran down to the ---. When I got the car about a month ago it was showing 82 miles at 98% and since then has not gone about 80 miles even though my efficiency has been pretty good (I've been manually resetting the trip to give a per trip m/kWh) ranging between 2.9 - 6 generally.

I've a friend in the motor trade and after rapid charging and seeing the amount of power going in I was a little worries as I calculated it was only taking around 24kwh (although I'm not sure how accurate the polar rapids are, I was assuming when new it would deliver 2.7kwh per 10%... I was seeing more like 2.2kwh... but then when I reconnected and went from 84-94% it delivered around 3kwh...? Strange). So I connected an OBDII reader and was able to see at 54% SOC it was displaying 89.41 SOH. This was after I'd done around 100 miles in it and it had been sat for probably 4 months, so I'm hoping this figure could possible rise a little now it's in use..?

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,568 Posts
I don't think you need to worry at all about the battery. Sounds like its in great condition. In fair weather 90 miles with no motorway use is pretty good in a 27kw and 100 if your really careful. The 83% to 94% on ours used to take 10-11 minutes, which isnt really worth it unless you really need it. I used to quite like the stopping at 83% as it made me keep going instead of waiting longer most of the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think you need to worry at all about the battery. Sounds like its in great condition. In fair weather 90 miles with no motorway use is pretty good in a 27kw and 100 if your really careful. The 83% to 94% on ours used to take 10-11 minutes, which isnt really worth it unless you really need it. I used to quite like the stopping at 83% as it made me keep going instead of waiting longer most of the time.
Yeah, but I've read that several people cars can now rapid straight to 94% like the 30kwh.. mine still caps out at 83..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts