Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... as the title says, my E-Niro arrives at the end of next month (ordered on Monday 18th Jan) - can anyone point out any negatives to me ? or suggest any must have accessories to get ? - 5 years ago when I got my first LEAF (24 Kwh) I was given a wall box as part of the deal, but forked out some extra to get a 32A version installed even though the LEAF with its 3.3 charger did not need it, the second LEAF I got after 3 years of EV ownership was a 30 Kwh, but still only had a 3.3 charger, hopefully now I made the right decision then ? - Andy

·
Registered
276 Posts
Order a CAMWIPE for the reversing camera. Regarding charger capacity, it all depends on your daily mileage. You can add roughly 50 miles in 7h off-peak from a 13A plug. And 7kW certainly allows you to squeeze a decent charge into a short low-tariff time slot. Get the PDF version of the manual -- makes searching for things much easier. Negatives? There are some annoying things you can't set as default; for me, AUTO HOLD to ON, LKA to OFF and regen to LEVEL 0 (lowest default is 1 - think petrol engine throttle lift-off response whereas 0 is more like big diesel in high gear) - these may or may not bother you. Worth noting is that LKA does not have to be ON for LFA to work with SCC. Have fun.

·
Registered
616 Posts
What kind of charge point do you have? Earlier Leafs use a Type 1 socket whereas the e-Niro uses Type 2, so if your charge point is tethered it wouldn't be usable with the e-Niro.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of charge point do you have? Earlier Leafs use a Type 1 socket whereas the e-Niro uses Type 2, so if your charge point is tethered it wouldn't be usable with the e-Niro.
..... thankfully I for saw that to as a possible future change and went un-tethered so all good ;) ( I believe the E-Niro comes with a type 2 to type 2 cable ?)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
..... thankfully I for saw that to as a possible future change and went un-tethered so all good ;) ( I believe the E-Niro comes with a type 2 to type 2 cable ?)
Yes, it does, but I would suggest that you get yourself an extra cable. In my opinion you need to have one type2-type2 cable in the car at all times. That is the only cable I have regularly used so far (away from home).

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
It’s slightly bigger than the Leaf, much more room in the backseats. The infotainment is similar, the driver assist features are nice. The GOM is much more realistic and consistent, the instant power screen is not as reactive or useful. There is a lag between applying the accelerator and actually moving/changing the amount of applied torque that the leaf does not have. It feels the same or slower up to ~40mph but after that the Niro does keep pushing power right up until 80mph (or faster, but I haven’t gone faster). The app is more responsive and has more features.

·
Registered
616 Posts
There is a lag between applying the accelerator and actually moving/changing the amount of applied torque that the leaf does not have.
In all modes? I can believe this in Eco mode since it's designed to make the accelerator less responsive but I don't personally feel any lag in Normal/Sport modes. I haven't driven a Leaf though so maybe I just don't notice it!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
644 Posts
In all modes? I can believe this in Eco mode since it's designed to make the accelerator less responsive but I don't personally feel any lag in Normal/Sport modes. I haven't driven a Leaf though so maybe I just don't notice it!
Fully agree. Of course, if you use Auto Hold or have applied the parking brake there will be lag. Otherwise, it's instantaneous.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Personally I think there's a slight lag in normal especially from stand still.
Sport is more extremely responsive that the leaf though - to the point of too being too sensitive.
I personally thing the pedal map couple be better for sport mode. Too sensitive on the first part of the travel.

@rowehillmaster I've followed pretty much the same route with 2 Leafs then an e-Niro.
Even the same with getting a 32A charger which got used precisely twice in 32A mode before the Niro :)
They very similar sizes for size though the "secret" boot space below the mat is nice.
I'm considering a frunk as there's potential to add that as the niro bonnet is quite a lot higher.
Struggling to think of negatives...it's just overall better.
Perhaps eating tyres as the extra power tempts you way too much!
That's entirely down to the driver though :):)

·
Registered
837 Posts
It'll be a treat.
Expect CCS to be less reliable than Chademo though (if you ever need public charging, that is!)
The Leaf has a very immediate accelerator response- and almost everything else I've driven fels a bit softer (comparing "normal" driving modes only). For example Sport mode in the Ioniq was similar to D in my Leaf. The benefit is much longer front tyre life :)
As for Type 1 and 2 tethered, change the plug and cable for a Type 2, assuming you no longer have a car with Type 1. Or, get an adaptor (but they're probably not as safe).

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
Yes all modes, particularly noticeable in situations like a roundabout approach when you are balancing the accelerator, then when you decide to go you punch it and....... nothing changes. You go “oh shit, I have to stop inst....” and then the car accelerates. It’s totally different to the leaf where it’s completely instant between pedal and response.

·
Super Moderator
7,459 Posts
Fully agree. Of course, if you use Auto Hold or have applied the parking brake there will be lag. Otherwise, it's instantaneous.
Then vehicles differs drastically because mine has a large lag.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
872 Posts
Yes all modes, particularly noticeable in situations like a roundabout approach when you are balancing the accelerator, then when you decide to go you punch it and....... nothing changes. You go “oh shit, I have to stop inst....” and then the car accelerates. It’s totally different to the leaf where it’s completely instant between pedal and response.
Wow. That description is nothing like mine. Unless of course your road surface has poor friction. Then yes, the moment you boot it and the wheels slip then the traction control will cut in to prevent you smoking away the front tyres (as it should do). That is the only explanation I can think of for your description. Mine is instantaneous except in eco when there is a slight offset dead band at the start of the gas pedal movement. Otherwise I would describe the drive as extremely responsive.
Peter

·
Registered
445 Posts
It’s slightly bigger than the Leaf, much more room in the backseats. The infotainment is similar, the driver assist features are nice. The GOM is much more realistic and consistent, the instant power screen is not as reactive or useful. There is a lag between applying the accelerator and actually moving/changing the amount of applied torque that the leaf does not have. It feels the same or slower up to ~40mph but after that the Niro does keep pushing power right up until 80mph (or faster, but I haven’t gone faster). The app is more responsive and has more features.
You have not gone over 80? I have not kept track, but I know I hit 100 before. Go out and have some fun!

Greg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very peculiar, mine doesn't behave like this at all in Normal or Sport

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have a Soul, which AFAIK has. identical motor, gearing etc, and dont recognise that at all.
Main difficulty tends to be wheel spin especially in the wet. And I think a fair bit of that is the standard tyres.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Weird. One of the things I like about the car is the confidence it instills in you that, if you press go, you go. What regen level are you using? In level 3, the zero point is quite a long way down the accelerator travel. Is this the problem? I prefer level 0 and, for me, go is instant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts