Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

501 - 520 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the "rules" allow a small amount so you have time to stop safety and take a photo :D The problem we had in the early days was people selecting hold going uphill to fudge their EV miles. It could often be spotted by low petrol MPG like photo above ;)
I see, thanks for clarify. I have tested hold ICE on for uphills and by empirical data collected from same route that if uphill is not really steep/long you actually lose EV miles slightly compared to full EV ride. Don't know if anyone has noticed same effect?

Btw deleted my post as it was not proper for 50mile club rules. Pardon!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Another entry, this was over some hilly roads from Frome up to wickwar and back, via Bradford on Avon.

Particularly pleased with this. No Aircon and a mix of L and D
IMG_20180722_203049635_HDR.jpg

Hoping for an optimistic GOM ready tomorrow morning for my commute. I've never made it completely on battery before, be interesting too see.

·
Registered
75 Posts
View attachment 102224 Was delighted to get 51.2 miles back and forth on the very hilly Jurassic Coast road. No air-con, driving very gently - and thanks to some holiday makers and tractors driving slowly. Not bad for an early 2012 Ampera with 71K on the clock. I was annoyed to find I had inadvertently turned the heated seat on when turning the fan off - not what you need in this weather!

In winter I struggled to make it to the 40 mile club on the same road - so that's 25% more range thanks to the warm weather,

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well finally after almost 4 years I've cracked the 50 miles club I am so happy!

Proof below, could someone verify this please and advise if it is finally true... My only concern is that it advises I used 11 kWh which is more than I thought is possible. This was all done in D - Normal without any changes...

Thinking about it I haven't done it :(as I did a brief charge before my journey tonight to top up my electric miles for about 20 minutes added about 3.7 miles ... so that I probably haven'tdone it... Now I'm so unhappy :sick: God darn it.... Got so excited there... :whistle:

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finally, after two years of happy ownership, I have joined the over 50 club !. Managed 51.1 miles on a continuos single charge drive, all electric.Came as a surprise as most of my driving had been on fairly fast B roads and dual carriageways. Simon.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
What's happened to the lifetime mileage I lovingly teased up to 138 Hugh? ;):D
Your old one belongs to my friend Rob, he's still enjoying the car. I bought my one (also cyber grey but an MY'13) on 77 and have been nursing it upwards

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Your old one belongs to my friend Rob, he's still enjoying the car. I bought my one (also cyber grey but an MY'13) on 77 and have been nursing it upwards
Ah! Confused memory :D

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
How is model s ownership working out?
Absolutely fabulous, best car I've ever had, bar none. Tesla service are brilliant too, but the massive differentiator is the supercharger network. This is what completes the picture and enables easy travel for intercontinental distances. Other manufacturers don't seem to get this - or are just hoping other networks get it sorted before theyve worked out how to make their concepts in volume.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I had assistance from a couple of long hills for regen but wasn't exactly "drivin like Miss Daisy" and had a few miles left on the GOM but couldn't be bothered to drive past my house to take the long way round. Love summer range!

20180915_154841.jpg

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So close this evening... 12 degrees, winter tyres, raining, climate set at 19/min/screen only/recirc/notch 2 on fan speed managed to force AC only, keep the heater off and thus the windows clear.

IMG_20181115_215514525.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Impressive at this time of year, to me at least! I rarely drive enough in a day to empty the battery, but my GOM has recently been hovering around 41 or 42 after a charge.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,393 Posts
I was also rewarded with a summer-like efficiency this morning, yet 12 C. The roads look a lot dryer today, humidity is probably low. As I've explained about driving in the wet before, the consequences of the surface energy of the road are noticeable in an EV that does not waste copious amounts of energy.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
24 Jan 2019. 105.4 mile journey used 1.07 galls of petrol + a full charge + 2 preheats.

103 mile journey, allmost all way A34 & M40. Hypemiled behind HGVs, journey took 2hrs 10 mins in total. Temp was 2C when leaving Winchester on Normal, and ICE kicked in "engine running due to low temperature" despite 2 preheats immediately before departure 4 miles previously! Interestingly, when ERDTT mode was active for about 2 miles, I didn't have the option of selecting "Hold" mode! So the moment ERDTT ceased & car reverted to showing battery in display again, I switched to Hold to get the car nice & warm. Winter tyres at 40 psi. Temp set to 25C on Max auto-recirc when ICE running. Once nice & warm after say 3-4 miles, I swapped to Normal & fan off, full recirc, for maybe another 6-8 miles as car cooled down. Once down to 17 miles remaining EV range, I switched to MM and stayed there until 16 miles from destination. During MM phase, I watched the Power Flow display; Fan went on for heating during ICE battery-buffer-charging stages, anout 4 to 6 miles typically, then when the ICE shutdown & the battery was being drained, I turned the fan off to minimise battery drain! Stingy or what!! This got me about 2 miles before the ICE cut in again. When 17 miles from destination, I cut the fan off & car was warm enough to last that stage. Ambient temp had risen to about 5C by the time I arrived near Southam with maybe 1/2 a mile EV range left.
upload_2019-1-25_3-18-13.jpeg

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Nice... but definitely doesn't qualify for the 50 mile club I'm afraid as Mountain Mode was involved which always ends up with part of the energy going into the battery counter :)
Nonetheless very impressive!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Mm was not used to recharge the battery! If it had been, the petrol mpg would have dropped to compensate. Anyway, I'm already a member! :)

Edit 27/Jan: the return trip yesterday was nothing like as efficient! Used 1.3 gallons of petrol, the result of heavy & occasionally torrential rain 80% of the way back.

501 - 520 of 540 Posts