Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have now cleared 50000 miles in just less than two years, so time for some general rambling about life with the 225xe.

Overall mpg 61.8 - according to the trip computer which has not been reset during my time. Would expect that to start going up again when the warmer weather helps the battery range. Very happy with that, as it included multiple long trips across Europe.

Total Full Electric distance 19420 miles - wow!

Had 4 new tyres, 2 x front and 2 x rear. The Fronts will need replacing again soon.
Had 2 services, no mechanical work outside of normal service. One warranty issue, which was the Idrive screen replaced without fuss by my local garage. Must admit that the reliability of this BMW has far exceeded any others that I've had. Still not sure I'd like to run it out of warranty though!

On the up side, its fast, economical (if you are happy to be constantly changing modes, and maximising coasting), practical, well built, and above all fun to drive. the 4x4 is surprisingly effective as well.

Love the ability to heat the car via the app or timer - fabulous this time of year.

On the down side, range range range. Could really do with about 30 miles electric, and I find the reduced petrol tank a pain on long drives. Need to fill about every 250 miles. Used to diesels able to get to Scotland on one tank. Also if you do tank advantage of that performance you will pay for it at the pumps. Managed one high speed fully loaded trip to Switzerland that averaged under 40mpg.

Ride is to hard. I have 17 inch wheels with run flats.

No spare wheel, so no real choice but to spec the run flats.

Blind spot on the front doors. Thought I'd got used to it, and then pulled out on a cyclist hidden behind it. - Luckily didn't hit him but received some well deserved comments on my driving ability.........

Not being able to adjust the steering wheel so you can see both top and bottom of the instrument display.

Would I have another? Well I need to choose in about 9 months. The new 225xe is now 57 grams co2, which will add a couple of percent BIK. The Passat GTE estate looks interesting, and the new Mercedes diesel hybrids will be worth a look. Not sure I'm ready for a full electric yet. Anyway another 225 will be high on the list.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You make some good points there.

I do more short journeys so my average is in the 70s, but 61mpg isn’t bad! Certainly reliable so far, touch wood. Haven’t had to fit new tyres yet. The ride seems ok but I don’t have run flats, only the tyre sealant kit, which glad to say, I haven’t had to use yet.

It coped with my Christmas trip run down to Cornwall and back very comfortably.

Love the performance and it coped fine with the bit of snow we’ve had this year.

I can cope with the small fuel tank, but another 10 miles electric range would, I agree, make a big difference to the car. It would need to be without adding too much weight though.

Agree also, the selectable info at the bottom of the instrument cluster is badly positioned in relation to the steering wheel, I’ve managed an adjustment to the seat height and steering column rake that just works for me, but it’s poor design. I don’t really like the position of the ev mode buttons down the middle of the console either.

The quirky indicator switch comes in for some stick, but I’ve actually grown to quite like it.

I shall keep this one for a fair while as it’s not leased, my next I hope will be a full ev, but not yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now cleared 75000 miles. Electric only is 28110 miles. Average mpg has now dropped to below 60 for the first time. Mainly due to colder weather, longer trips, and more PHEV's at work meaning I cant always get a charger.

Had a further service at 66000 miles, now calling for brake fluid change. Needs a couple of new front tires soon, and the suspension is feeling a little tired and worn. Car has gained a rattle from the rear "C" pillar. Brakes are original all round. Only issue since last report is the fuel filler refusing to open, leaving me enough fuel to get the car back to BMW but no further. BMW supplied me with a new 225xe while mine was being fixed.

Did the test drive thing around different PHEV's for its replacement. Close to getting a E300de, but in the end have ordered another 225xe. This is the first time in 35 years of driving I've replaced a car with the same model so says something about how I've enjoyed my time with this one.

Dont like leather trim, so stayed with the sport version, with the premium pack, tech pack, and driving assistant pack. Cant now spec run flats with the 17 wheels, so will have the hated compressor. Didnt want to upgrade to 18 inch wheels with the state of the rural roads where I live. Cant now de badge the premium models. And I wish the colour palate was much wider (Oxford green anybody!)

Have a march build date. Looking forward to more toys and greater battery range.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good write-up, thanks. Someone posted recently about their new 225 with the 10KW battery, he's getting a genuine 20+ miles of electric range in the current weather conditions, which is good.

I've had mine for 30 months and 24K miles, and similarly loved driving it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a September 2019 225 with 10kW battery, and am getting 24 miles electric only in the current weather, but that is after prewarming, and having the heater set to 20 with no aircon. In warm weather with no heater I was getting a real 27 to 28 of electric range... Not snowed yet so I’ve not yet worked out how to make 4wd drive work....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In theory the 4x4 should be automatic. In practice if the car starts off in electric and detects wheel slip there is a slight delay in getting the petrol engine going, and the transmission engaged. That is enough to make the car very tail happy.

So there are two tricks to getting the best out of the 225 4x4 potential. First is to hit the traction control button. In a normal active tourer this will disengage the traction control, but in a 225xe it will put the car into low traction mode. (You will get a confirmation message to confirm) Second is to get the petrol engine running as much as possible. Some people stick the gear box into sport mode, but in my mind that makes the throttle response a little sharp for snow. I use save mode to achieve a similar result.

Note if you have the car in low traction mode (BMW call it something else, but I cant remember what!) then it will use the abs to brake a spinning wheel, so you will get odd noises and feel from the pedals.

It can be very effective in low traction conditions, I've been able to get out of a muddy field which has defeated my wifes 4-motion tiguan. Still no substiture for a series Land Rover, but the 225 does come with the advantage of having a heater, unlike my SII

·
2018 Sport Premium with comfort pack
86 Posts
I got caught in the snow today on the M62. Put it in low traction mode and it worked well, I could feel the ABS working as well. I have driven about 18,500 miles, 4,500 of those electric and my average consumption is 54mpg, I do a lot of motorway miles and only get to charge on 1 in 3 journeys (thanks to still useless charging facilities in towns). Overall I love the car, really comfortable on long trips and the occasional lapse into sport mode for an amazing getaway!

·
Registered
12 Posts
To force 4WD when icy I have been selecting sport mode which for the few times i have needed it seems to work. Also select the display which shows which wheels are being driven - think this is e-Drive in the menu.
Have had the car for just over 2.5 years and average mpg is 56.3mpg. Do a 50 mile daily commute charging each night at home. Car has done everything asked of it including holidays to France with 4 people, roof box and bikes on roof. Bigger inside than it looks on outside. Have to replace at 3 years and was touch and go about ordering another, particularly with the new bigger battery and imminent reduction in BIK. However Volvo XC40 twin engine and Skoda superb estate PHEVs coming in at similar price on the NHS lease scheme so going to go with something more modern than the 2014 BMW design.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did look at a xc40 and it looked like a generation forward from the active tourer, but three main reasons for not choosing one. One our scheme Volvos are very expensive. I could have had an E class 300De for the same points as the xc40 Rdesign. Its two wheel drive, and it cant go as far as the 225xe on a charge, which bumps it up into the next tax band. (only 2% more, but still!) Alas no Skoda or VW on our scheme (but we can order Audi's - go figure!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a September 2019 225 with 10kW battery, and am getting 24 miles electric only in the current weather, but that is after prewarming, and having the heater set to 20 with no aircon. In warm weather with no heater I was getting a real 27 to 28 of electric range... Not snowed yet so I’ve not yet worked out how to make 4wd drive work....
Hi, I have 225XE bought in October 2019 but with build date of July 2019. The car is great but I’m not achieving anything like the 35 mile pure electric range claimed by BMW, one morning after a full charge to 100% the display quoted 20 miles and this reduced rapidly to 18 and then 16 after a few hundred yards. I bought the car on condition that it had the upgraded battery but BMW UK took a long time to confirm this and at one point said I probably had the previous battery. It’s had diagnostic check which incredibly doesn’t reveal which battery is in the car, apparently the VIN doesn’t reveal this either (?!) BMW have agreed to physically look at the battery next month which apparently is the only way of knowing for sure and that involves removing panels and support struts beneath the vehicle? I always drive the car on EcoPro mode, it’s kept and charged in a warm garage and always preconditioned. The local dealer is being helpful about this now but BMW initially were spectacularly unhelpful, saying they’d test the car but I’d have to pay. There have been other issues with the battery too, a “sudden and catastrophic discharge of the high voltage battery” where it took the BMW assistance call out engineer 5 hours to get the car started. Anyway, I’d be interested in other 225XE owners pure electric range on pre and post July 2019 models, Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fully charged and preconditioned my electric range always shows 30... the real mileage achieved is as described above. If your fully charged range shows as 30 in eco pro mode you have the 10kW battery...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fully charged and preconditioned my electric range always shows 30... the real mileage achieved is as described above. If your fully charged range shows as 30 in eco pro mode you have the 10kW battery...
Hi Bill, Thanks so much for your reply, with everything turned off (no heater or aircon) fully charged and preconditioned the car has only once shown 30 (very recently) Usually 23/24/25 (and occasionally as little as 20). When it showed 30 recently it dropped to less than 20 within 3 miles though. BMW have completed the battery diagnostics and have agreed to do a further physical check of the battery next month so I guess there must still be doubt otherwise they wouldn’t be offering that? Apart from the electric range I’m really pleased with the car in other respects though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Bill, Thanks so much for your reply, with everything turned off (no heater or aircon) fully charged and preconditioned the car has only once shown 30 (very recently) Usually 23/24/25 (and occasionally as little as 20). When it showed 30 recently it dropped to less than 20 within 3 miles though. BMW have completed the battery diagnostics and have agreed to do a further physical check of the battery next month so I guess there must still be doubt otherwise they wouldn’t be offering that? Apart from the electric range I’m really pleased with the car in other respects though.
I have an xe with the 10kw battery. I get 25miles electric at best in current temps.
Mine was bought in nov19 with a build date of July. I had trouble getting any sense out of dealer to confirm what KW battery it had.
My confirmation it had the 10kw pack was that from flat to 100% full charge it took 5hrs with the granny charger (2.2kw 9.5amp Approx. charge rate X 5hrs = 11Kw). Instead of 3.5 hrs for the 7.5kw battery pack.
Also someone else mentioned that the log book co2 will confirm it as it is different for the two battery pack versions. Depends on wheel size, but if you have 18inch wheels think it's 44g on log book for co2 with the 10kw pack & the 7.5kw version it's above 50g.( I think).
Thank HookyMan for the info re CO2 --it was in the thread I started about 225XE taking 5hrs to charge --
"The co2 emissions for the 2nd Gen battery are 52 g/km for the 17 inch, 57 g/km for the 18 in wheels. The 3rd Gen Battery values are 42 g/km for 17 inch and 44 g/km for the 18 inch wheels.
So check your v5 and see what value it has for emissions. "

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s a good read. This is my first EV/PHEV and I’m geeking out on the data and driving modes. I was wondering how you determine miles driven in electric vs petrol?
Once I get the EVSE installed I’ll be able to monitor electricity used as again I don’t think the computer particularly helpful (I doubt the m/kWh is accurate).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My apple bmw app doesn't show it, but the website does. Bottom of the page under the efficiency tab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts