Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to pull the trigger on an enyaq iv 60 nav ecosuite on a 3 year lease.

At this point with the UK charging infrastructure, is it worth springing the extra for a 100kw charger or just leaving it with the 50kw in?

I'll be handing it back after 3 years and not bothered about residual value etc. Should I bother or spend some pennies on another feature?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,635 Posts
How much is it for the 50kW to 100kW upgrade?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I think the better question is about your usage. If most of your charging is going to be at home and you don't plan on using the car for many long distance journeys then definitely don't bother.

If you don't have home charging, or will regularly be going beyond the range of your battery pack then definitely add it on.

Gridserve are currently in the process of replacing every single Electric Highway charger on the motorway network, and their new one are capable of more than 50kW. Likewise you have other networks like Ionity at an increasing number of service stations with higher powered chargers too. We're going to see more and more being installed so if you are likely to be a regular user of rapid chargers, and the pricing for the upgrade is reasonable it's probably worthwhile imo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the better question is about your usage. If most of your charging is going to be at home and you don't plan on using the car for many long distance journeys then definitely don't bother.

If you don't have home charging, or will regularly be going beyond the range of your battery pack then definitely add it on.

Gridserve are currently in the process of replacing every single Electric Highway charger on the motorway network, and their new one are capable of more than 50kW. Likewise you have other networks like Ionity at an increasing number of service stations with higher powered chargers too. We're going to see more and more being installed so if you are likely to be a regular user of rapid chargers, and the pricing for the upgrade is reasonable it's probably worthwhile imo.
Hmmmm with that in mind. It might be a good year or two before the infrastructure really changes to higher charging across the board. Most of mine is charging from home with occasional charge elsewhere.

Sounds like 50kw this time. Next time 100kw or more and by then 100kw should be considered standard on an ev

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Sounds like 50kw this time. Next time 100kw or more and by then 100kw should be considered standard on an ev
Maybe, but £685 is a lot for anyone just using it occasionally.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hmmmm with that in mind. It might be a good year or two before the infrastructure really changes to higher charging across the board. Most of mine is charging from home with occasional charge elsewhere.

Gridserve should be done in about 10 weeks based on their current rate of progress. Those chargers are 80kW (400v).

One thing to bear in mind is that 100kW charging, it will mean you can pull 50kW throughout so will improve 50kW charging times as well as 100kW. I don't know whether you'll still benefit from this with the 50kW option

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are there any charging curves for the two options?
sadly not that I can find even for the ID3 50kW option and 100kW

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had exactly the same dilemma and tried to talk a couple of leasing companies into finding a way to add the 100kW option without me paying, so that they could protect the residual value at the end of the three years when the infrastructure should be a lot further on. 50kW won't be a good look for EVs by then.

Unsurprisingly they declined, so I left it out, since I only use rapid chargers every couple of months and don't mind planning for the extra 20-25 minutes of waiting for a "slow" 50kW charge.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
You should absolutely pay the extra - it's not going to be much for you, but in the future that car will become a second-hand car for someone, and it will be better at it with the 100kw.
Better to leave you £400 in the glovebox. ;) I bet that you'll be willing to accept a post-dated cheque.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
50kW won't be a good look for EVs by then.
Why? Most people will still be doing the majority of their charging at home on AC and the difference in DC speed will be realised very rarely. Pretty much like the need for 4WD on most Range Rovers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think "but I can fill up my diesel in 2 minutes" will be the next "haha only 178 miles range" when big batteries are more common and a 50kW charge takes the best part of an hour. Just a hunch.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,635 Posts
Are there any charging curves for the two options?

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's just the 100kW option. Depends on if the battery pack is exactly the same with both options

1 - 20 of 45 Posts