Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
There was story in the press about an old lady in the top flat of a tower block where Orange put a base station on the top. She started having crippling headaches immediately the engineers packed up their vans and left. Her family immediately took legal action to get Orange to shut it down. Orange had a quite a good defense though - the base station had been installed but was still waiting for the power feed to be connected before it could be turned on and commissioned.
Off topic but similar - we once had a customer who claimed to have been made very ill by the diesel fumes on the train on her journey to Dorset.

It was an electric train.

It's mind over matter. People can think themselves ill.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
There was story in the press about an old lady in the top flat of a tower block where Orange put a base station on the top. She started having crippling headaches immediately the engineers packed up their vans and left. Her family immediately took legal action to get Orange to shut it down. Orange had a quite a good defense though - the base station had been installed but was still waiting for the power feed to be connected before it could be turned on and commissioned.
After establishing that it was the loud noise of installation that triggered chronic headaches in the occupant of the flat below, did Orange pay damages?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Off topic but similar - we once had a customer who claimed to have been made very ill by the diesel fumes on the train on her journey to Dorset.

It was an electric train.

It's mind over matter. People can think themselves ill.
Or, someone could have ignorantly misdiagnosed the source of fumes and still be made ill. The dielectrics leaking from industrial capacitors could react with air to produce toxic fumes.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Or, someone could have ignorantly misdiagnosed the source of fumes and still be made ill. The dielectrics leaking from industrial capacitors could react with air to produce toxic fumes.
Pretty sure Southwest Trains run diesel electric on the Dorset route.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A lot of brake and metal dust has a similar set of 'overtones' to diesel 'odeur'. Probably down to the way the nose reacts to particulates, would be my immediate line of enquiry.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Pretty sure Southwest Trains run diesel electric on the Dorset route.
You never let lack of knowledge get in the way, do you?

They are class 444 EMUs (third rail) operated by Southwestern Railway.

Line has been fully electric for over 30 years.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
You never let lack of knowledge get in the way, do you?

They are class 444 EMUs (third rail) operated by Southwestern Railway.

Line has been fully electric for over 30 years.
Well, I grew up in Dorset. But what would I know.

A quick search shows they use both. Probably depends on exactly where this was of course.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
We laugh about people burning witches but here we are in 2020 burning down mobile networks because they 'cause cancer and corona'.
The people doing that must know what they are doing because they are the same eligible voters who set the direction of UK macroeconomic policies.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Has anyone mentioned how many British birds get killed by cats annually yet? And they crap in your garden. Can we ban them please?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
To all those burning down 5G towers ... it is also well known that cats spread corona virus .... carry on ....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well
Well, I grew up in Dorset. But what would I know.

A quick search shows they use both. Probably depends on exactly where this was of course.
Well, as I told the story I probably know exactly where she travelled. The line uses the 444s exclusively. I can see the bloody tracks from my kitchen window.

Is it possible for you to ever admit when you're wrong?

(Sorry to everyone else, this is way off topic!!)

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Well

Well, as I told the story I probably know exactly where she travelled. The line uses the 444s exclusively. I can see the bloody tracks from my kitchen window.

Is it possible for you to ever admit when you're wrong?

(Sorry to everyone else, this is way off topic!!)
You said Dorset.

Now if you’d been more specific I’d probably understand what you meant.

As I say, I travelled for years on diesel electrics from Dorset.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You said Dorset.

Now if you’d been more specific I’d probably understand what you meant.

As I say, I travelled for years on diesel electrics from Dorset.
I didn't ask for your opinion in the first place. You butted into my anecdote because you thought you knew better. You didn't.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, she also told us that our electric air freshener was making her ill. It was a nightlight....

21 - 40 of 53 Posts