Discussion Starter #1
My pre loved 2017 Tekna has a 6.6 and 3.3 charger on board

The screen shows 6kw as —:—
3kw 13 hours

Does that suggest 6.6 is not working??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is that it plugged in or not plugged in?

My 63 plate shows 2 times. When plugged in shows a time for the 6kw and blanks the 3kw.

If it is plugged in could be you are only getting a 3kw feed. Or maybe your charging cable is only 16amp which would result in a 3kw charge

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks to another forum member here, I discovered that my car only charges at 6kw when plugging in at the wall first, I have a untethered charger, plugging in car first charges at 3.3, plugging wall first charges 6.6, no idea why

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - its the cable that came with car so presume its for the 6kw charger?

I tried stopping charge and putting wall plug in first car second but unfortunately has made no difference

I think I’ll give Pod-Point a buzz?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Did you pay for a 7kw pod point install, its always a little more than 3Kw due to the size of the cable ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had to pay 99 squids to pod point for them to fit a 7kw box. The box itself is the same but the cable they run is thicker. And higher rated fuse possibly. By default they use a 3kw rated cable.

Could go to a public charger like a polar post and stick it on charge there to test it.

Also don't assume the cable is a 32amp cable. Bought my car from garage and they didn't keep cables in the cars. They had a rack of them in an office and the bags were not labelled. I guess I got lucky or maybe they were all 32amp.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Thanks - its the cable that came with car so presume its for the 6kw charger?

I tried stopping charge and putting wall plug in first car second but unfortunately has made no difference

I think I’ll give Pod-Point a buzz?
So you've got a podpoint, but you're using the cable that came with the car?
So it's an untethered podpoint you have.
So there's three possibilities

1. The podpoint isn't a 7KW unit
2. The car cable you're using can't provide 7KW
3. The onboard charger is knackered.

As others have said, the last one is the easiest to rule out by going to a public 7KW point.
I'd have also thought you'd remember if you ordered a 7KW podpoint, as you'll have had to pay an extra £90 for it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So you've got a podpoint, but you're using the cable that came with the car?
So it's an untethered podpoint you have.
So there's three possibilities

1. The podpoint isn't a 7KW unit
2. The car cable you're using can't provide 7KW
3. The onboard charger is knackered.

As others have said, the last one is the easiest to rule out by going to a public 7KW point.
I'd have also thought you'd remember if you ordered a 7KW podpoint, as you'll have had to pay an extra £90 for it.
Alternatively get another leaf with 6.6 on board to plug in to your podpoint.
The podpoint fitter may have forgot to set your podpoint to 7Kw output, this is done via dipswitch inside for 7.2Kw output switches 1 and 2 need to be on and 3 and 4 off and a 40A breaker fitted using 6-10mm cable for 3.1Kw 2.5mm cable 16A breaker and switch 2 on rest off the dipswitch is a 5 way Switch 5 defines socketed or tethered and doesnt need to be touched.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thanks to another forum member here, I discovered that my car only charges at 6kw when plugging in at the wall first, I have a untethered charger, plugging in car first charges at 3.3, plugging wall first charges 6.6, no idea why
The reason for this probably has to do with the way a socket-equipped EVSE is supposed to work. The first part of the signalling protocol for an EVSE that doesn't have a tethered lead is to detect the current carrying capacity of the lead that is connected to it. It does this by measuring the resistance of a resistor fitted between PP and PE in the connector at the EVSE end of the cable. This tells the EVSE whether it's OK to signal to the car that up to 32 A is available, or that only 16 A is available, depending on the cable rating. Some EVSEs will default to 16 A if they don't sense the cable (not strictly in accordance with the protocol, but generally safe).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great - lots of options!

Checked the cable is marked 32amp - so that’s not the issue

Will try a 7kw public post tomorrow

Then I’ll ring Pod-Point

I’ll report back!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just hooked up to public charger and .... 6.6 works! Yeeeh!

So my next call must be Pod-Point to see if they have installed my charger incorrectly.

Thanks all for help in pointing the way to eliminate possible probs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Pod-Point have installed my charger incorrectly- only goves 3kw charge

But how do I get them to do anything about it!! 3 communications so far failed to get any action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do they have a Facebook presence? If so, ask on the end of their posts; better than starting a new one, which visitors won’t see. Are they on Twitter? Try it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just about to when...I get an email apologising for delay and promising the calle by Friday (today).

Well its 17:16 and no sign of missing cable! This is the second promised delivery date that hasn't happened

1 - 15 of 15 Posts