Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been keeping an eye on PDMs on sale. Found Leaf40 PDM but but was told to not go for it as of requires connector to be swapped from type 1 to type 2

Finally last night saw a Leaf Acenta 6.6kW charger on eBay and after deliberation overnight paid up for it

Here’s hoping I can get it swapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
Been keeping an eye on PDMs on sale. Found Leaf40 PDM but but was told to not go for it as of requires connector to be swapped from type 1 to type 2

Finally last night saw a Leaf Acenta 6.6kW charger on eBay and after deliberation overnight paid up for it

Here’s hoping I can get it swapped

Dave- How much? You didn't say.

·
Registered
652 Posts
OUCH! cheaper than a Nissan install though....

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was considering going this route on my 3.3 Leaf but wondered is it plug and play or is there other software issues involved?
Its plug and play

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!! That is a bit too involved for me, are you considering doing the swap yourself or having it done for you?
Just spoke to Matt @CleevelyMotors after dropping a message to Cleevely EV mobile on Twitter. Was told it shouldn’t be an issue for James to pop over and do it.

Waiting to schedule the appointment

I don’t trust myself especially with my wife’s car

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
So you are hoping for a net cost of around £300. Your Wife must have a similar usage pattern to me (~22kWh/day) to make it worthwhile to charge marginally faster (3kW).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its plug and play

Watching that video, I can see why my Nissan dealer didn't want to correct a car that had been fitted with the wrong PDU at the factory that I had put a deposit on - it's a lot of work. In Nissan's inventory system, it had the 6.6kW charger, but in reality it didn't, especially since at the time the dealer's technicians weren't trained for any high voltage work. In the end, I cancelled the order and bought another car that did have the correct PDU. That was less work for everyone involved once they had persuaded Nissan that the car had left the factory with the wrong spec.

Thought of the day: Have all Nissan dealership's service teams yet been trained to do any high voltage work, or do they still ship 'problem' cars back to Sunderland or other appropriately qualified teams?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watching that video, I can see why my Nissan dealer didn't want to correct a car that had been fitted with the wrong PDU at the factory that I had put a deposit on - it's a lot of work. In Nissan's inventory system, it had the 6.6kW charger, but in reality it didn't, especially since at the time the dealer's technicians weren't trained for any high voltage work. In the end, I cancelled the order and bought another car that did have the correct PDU. That was less work for everyone involved once they had persuaded Nissan that the car had left the factory with the wrong spec.

Thought of the day: Have all Nissan dealership's service teams yet been trained to do any high voltage work, or do they still ship 'problem' cars back to Sunderland or other appropriately qualified teams?
I think very few dealers HV technicians. Most issues with HV system end up at Sunderland

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So you are hoping for a net cost of around £300. Your Wife must have a similar usage pattern to me (~22kWh/day) to make it worthwhile to charge marginally faster (3kW).
Daily charge is between 15 to 24kWh.
The issue is on certain days when after daily run to the rink we want to go elsewhere. We end up charging for hours or a visit to single unit rapids (often without joy)

This would enable a decent top up time at home for those days

I’ll list up old PDM for 300 who know if anyone will buy it (why bother). In my head is going to cost me another £200 to install it so a total of £800 to not rely on public charging in near future

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like £300 is achievable for your old unit. For £500 that is a nice upgrade. It was an expensive option not many cars had it.
I think it was an additional grand over the base option when buying the car

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to cost me a £270 to get it swapped so looking at £600 as total cost of I can sell the current one for £300 one day

Hope it’s worth it

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
158 Posts
Going to cost me a £270 to get it swapped so looking at £600 as total cost of I can sell the current one for £300 one day

Hope it’s worth it

I always regretted my Leaf having a 3.3 as opposed to a 6.6 onboard charger, I was just learning back then and didn’t understand the technicalities of it all. I thought it strange though how a friends earlier 24 had the 6.6 charger, I didn’t realise it was an option.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The 6.6kw charge is really good for a quick Tesco top-up, or if you suddenly have a trip you were not expecting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts