Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having had a broken PTC heater and non functioning cabin preheating since our e-Niro4 was delivered in November, and following a big scrap with Kia UK to get a suitably sized loan car out of them, it was dropped off 6 weeks ago at the local dealer for diagnosis and repair.
We haven’t seen it since.

PTC heater was on back order. Arrived and fitted 2 weeks ago. Cabin preheating still doesn’t work.

Kia UK have told the dealer it needs a software update. They’ve also said they don’t know when it’ll be available.
They initially told us it needed updating back in December, so they put the new version of UVO in it. Unsurprisingly it didn’t work. I’m doubtful it will now the PTC heater’s been replaced. They admit it’s just a next step and may well not fix it.

Meanwhile Kia UK are also hassling the dealer every day threatening to charge them for the Niro PHEV they’ve loaned us if they don’t fix our car immediately - The loaner’s ironically been hired by Kia UK from another dealer in the same group as the one fixing ours.

My wife’s pouring gallons of expensive petrol into it every week and cursing it’s very existence. It is a truly hateful thing to drive. We are of course still having to continue to pay for the e-Niro whilst we don’t have it.

Our e-Niro’s done just 2,500 miles since November. Kia UK and the supplying dealer (not the one that’s fixing it for us) have refused to replace it. Doing so seemed a reasonable way of ensuring my wife was no longer in detriment as a result of their delivering a faulty car and would limit their hire car costs. Nope.

We still have the statutory right to reject the car as the issues were reported within 30 days of delivery. Trying to avoid that as we quite like the thing and the range.

What I dislike is Kia UK’s bloodymindedness, the fact they were happy for my wife to drive our baby daughter around in a freezing cold car over the longest, coldest winter we’ve had for nearly a decade and the fighting/begging I had to do to get a loan car that fitted the pushchair and child seat.

It’s now just a matter of whether they fix the car before I can persuade a Skoda dealer to knock about £1,000 off an Enyaq EcoSuite.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
719 Posts
I hate to say this because I am the proud and very satisfied owner of an e-Niro. But ditch it. Not because of the car, but because of the dealership that are incompetent and downright arrogant, together with Kia UK's complete lack of being empathic and customer oriented. It's corporate bullying at its best and you shouldn't stand for it.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,898 Posts
Yep, it’s still less than six months old, so I’d be formally rejecting it now, and especially because the dealer/Kia are being so bloody minded about it.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,127 Posts
Exactly. They are calling your bluff and assuming that you will not reject it. They tried the same with @stageshoot but he stuck it out and they gave him an excellent deal on a replacement.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I concur with what others are saying, reject it. You have been more than reasonable in allowing them a reasonable time in which to fix it.

They have failed.

My friend had issues with a brand new VW id3. Out of the 6 weeks that she owned it, she had 1 weeks use out of it. It still hadn't been fixed after 5 weeks in their service dept "awaiting parts" from germany.

She rejected the car, got a full refund AND a £1000 discount on a brand new VW id4, as well as honouring the original £3000 government grant.

I would reject it now before it is too late and you end up regretting it.

Enough is enough.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,348 Posts
I had the PTC heater woes and it took nearly two months to get that fixed. I was most unimpressed by the communication throughout, and told the dealer so, using the word "reject" really got them moving. In fairness they were at the mercy of Kia for the part and their comms were affected by lots of staff on furlough.

However, the heater components replaced sorted it so the repair was successful. If it hadn't been I would have moved to reject the car.

Kia are paying for the car hire while yours is off road. I complained that I was paying for an EV I didn't have, which wasn't really good enough, and they were able to swap the hybrid for a Soul - again the best the dealer could do in the circumstances.

I'm very patient but my patience was tested. Your situation would madden me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the PTC heater woes and it took nearly two months to get that fixed. I was most unimpressed by the communication throughout, and told the dealer so, using the word "reject" really got them moving. In fairness they were at the mercy of Kia for the part and their comms were affected by lots of staff on furlough.

However, the heater components replaced sorted it so the repair was successful. If it hadn't been I would have moved to reject the car.

Kia are paying for the car hire while yours is off road. I complained that I was paying for an EV I didn't have, which wasn't really good enough, and they were able to swap the hybrid for a Soul - again the best the dealer could do in the circumstances.

I'm very patient but my patience was tested. Your situation would madden me.
It’s the absolute lack of care that gets me.
Rejecting it at this precise point would put us in detriment - Prices have shifted against us since November thanks to the grant situation.

We’ve got the statutory right of rejection in our pockets for now. If it’s not fixed by the time something better comes along, we’ll push the button at our convenience.

Not a lot of point in thinking we can fight them. They really don’t care either way.

Unless something radical happens shortly, we won’t be taking another chance on Kia in the future.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Real shame as they have made a good car, but all these “just in time” inventory/assembly deigns don’t leave much (any) slack for spares, recalls, etc. Feels like a false economy when a small warehouse full of bits sonewhere in Europe doesn’t need to be that expensive (compared to the retail price of the fleet of vehicles it would serve)

Reactions: peterca

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,625 Posts
Yeah, but if I remember correctly @i3S has had a bit of a saga with this new car purchase.

So what next if he rejects this one?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but if I remember correctly @i3S has had a bit of a saga with this new car purchase.

So what next if he rejects this one?
It’ll likely be a Skoda Enyaq EcoSuite. Bigger car. Still enough range for our needs.
Just needs a tiny little bit off list to make it viable.

If the Niro is fixed before something else comes along we’ll grit our teeth and keep it as it does a lot. But that’ll be in spite of the way Kia UK have behaved.

I’d rather they just replaced it to be honest.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Real shame as they have made a good car, but all these “just in time” inventory/assembly deigns don’t leave much (any) slack for spares, recalls, etc. Feels like a false economy when a small warehouse full of bits sonewhere in Europe doesn’t need to be that expensive (compared to the retail price of the fleet of vehicles it would serve)
The car is/was great. We want it or a replacement back.

It’s the “service” and attitude we and others who’ve had contact with Kia UK with faulty cars that’s the issue. Objectively the worst experience I’ve had in 30 years of buying cars. Saved only by the excellent service received from our local dealer. The supplying dealer, not so much.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A flurry of excitement this morning as UVO notifications of movement arrived on my phone....followed by an unsurprising phone call.

The update’s not worked. They’ve now no clue where to go.

Made some enquires and had direct contact with someone at Director level at Kia today followed by contact from one of the seniors in his Dept.
They’re now looking into exchanging it.

Hire car’s cost them £2,500 so far and they’re harassing the dealer ever day asking them if they’ve fixed ours so they can off-rent it.

We’re not really going far at the moment what with the current global unpleasantness and all.
The thought of that car sitting in the corner of our driveway costing them £60 a day is almost enough to make me want to sit it out given the way we’ve been treated.

Hopefully though it’ll be enough leverage to make them consider just replacing the broken one without much further delay.

Ball’s in their court for the mo. Although DriveTheDeal’s email this morning pushing new ID3 Pro Performance Life for £27k did cause fleeting bit of interest. Then we remembered how crap the interior is.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
There are 52 eNiro on autotrader. They could very easily get you another Niro while yours is repaired to sell on once you have yours back. Would cost them less than a hire car. Very silly.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
650 Posts
My dad had a Kia Niro (hybrid) and after only a few months it lost all power and died on a dual carriageway. Kia took it back and spent weeks pulling the car apart and eventually found a failed sensor. My dad made the argument that he didn’t want a virtually brand new car that had the engine and gearbox stripped apart and rebuilt. They agreed and did a good deal on another new one and as I understand it carted the old one off back to Kia for them to analyse.

Shame to hear the customer service is not always like that. He came away happy with how they had treated him, and the replacement Niro was faultless for years. He now has a 2020 Soul.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the software update was applied and guess what? It didn’t work. Still no cabin precon.

Kia Technical have requested screenshots of all data from the car, but they’re stumped.

Meantime Kia GB have ruled out replacing it. They’ve told me anything sales is down to sales, as in the supplying dealer. Complete BS of course, but the fact they’re obfuscating is indicative of intention. Pointless pursuing that line.

All they’re offered is a non specific “contribution” to petrol costs. They didn’t go into detail and unlike all our other comms, this “offer” was by phone. Nothing has been emailed.

They’ve offered a Soul EV loan car, but it’s genuinely not big enough for the pushchair. The boot in the Soul is objectively tiny.

Asked the supplying dealer, NK Motors to loan us a Niro EV. The response was pretty tactless given they delivered us a car with no working heater - “we’re overwhelmed with enquiries for test drives in the e-Niro so we couldn’t possibly loan ours to you”.

How about just exchanging it? “Can’t do that because it’s been replaced by a completely different car”. Which of course it hasn’t. The 2020 top spec e-Niro was the 4. The 2021 top spec e-Niro is a 4 with a few additional standard items. Hardly a completely different car.

Discovered from the broker that if we reject it the leasing company funding the deal (Kia Contract Hire/ALD) charge back all of their losses to the broker and the supplying dealer. That includes loss of their margin.

As the faults were reported within 30 days of delivery back in November, lease firm is statutorily obligated to return every penny we put into the car. They have to make sure we’re returned to how we were prior to the agreement being signed. Broker’s doc fee also has to be returned

Bottom line here is since the grant disappeared from the e-Niro, the dealer and broker know they’d lose less if we reject it than they would if they replace it with a new one.

It’s an absolutely shite way of dealing with customers.

Kia UK are the villain of the piece here. They supplied the dealer with a faulty car. Yes, the dealer perhaps didn’t PDI it properly. Or maybe it didn’t flag until afterwards. Kia UK have passed the buck to the supplying dealer.

But Kia UK are also paying for the rented PHEV. So stuff ‘em. We’ll keep that and keep them paying for it until we’ve found a replacement. Then we’ll reject it. If the e-Niro’s fixed and ready in the meantime, so be it.

We know it’s causing them aggro because of the way the hire team at Kia UK Complaints are hassling the dealer fixing the car (Not the supplying dealer) on a daily basis wanting it off-rented.

It’s our local main dealer fixing the car I feel sorry for. They’ve been brilliant throughout, from Service receptionist to service manager, dealer principal who loaned us his Soul EV one night just to see it would work space wise.

Having replaced the PTC Heater, because this is now “Diagnosis” again and not “Repair”, despite the many, many hours spent doing as Kia Tech ask them, they get £0 in labour from Kia Warranty. Staggering.

Next step for our local dealer, if Kia Tech can’t fix it from a distance an engineer has to come from Kia UK.

Next step for us, log the whole incident with the Financial Ombudsman Service, continue to look for a replacement and, it the Niro isn’t fixed when we find something, reject it when we’re ready to give back the rented PHEV loaner.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,116 Posts
How depressing. Looks like Kia are another manufacturer that won't do the decent thing when they have produced a faulty car. If you don't get proper customer support when a car is in warranty I can't see the point in paying the premium for having an in warranty car.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts