Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Next step for us, log the whole incident with the Financial Ombudsman Service,
I would do that right now. I might also think about getting the press involved, and maybe Honest John or the legal eagle in the Torygraph?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would do that right now. I might also think about getting the press involved, and maybe Honest John or the legal eagle in the Torygraph?
What about Watchdog
Personally I would reject it without further negotiation. Enough time has elapsed for Kia to adopt a satisfactory outcome for the owner but have failed miserably.

Remove the unnecessary stress...reject it, get your money refunded in full, short-term hire whilst deciding on the next vehicle.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Personally I would reject it without further negotiation. Enough time has elapsed for Kia to adopt a satisfactory outcome for the owner but have failed miserably.

Remove the unnecessary stress...reject it, get your money refunded in full, short-term hire whilst deciding on the next vehicle.
At the moment they’re paying the “hire car”. We’re taking full advantage of that until something else turns up. If it’s fixed first, saves us the stress of replacing it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Progress of a sort. Kia Complaints have agreed to reimburse all of my wife’s consequential costs whilst she has the Niro PHEV they’ve rented from another dealer to a max of £500.

We’ll see how that plays out - The guy who runs Kia Technical has been helping our local dealer diagnose, but even he’s stumped, so this could go on beyond £500 worth of fuel and parking costs. She’s at £200 ish already.

A ticket’s been raised with UVO now. Kia Technical still reckon it’s the head unit, the radio, which is the control unit for anything to do with timed cabin or battery heating.

One option is to remove a head unit from a demo car and connect it to ours to see if it works....which as they said, is a lot of labour hours and cost if it doesn’t. And if it does it’s still a chunk of cash to strip and put together both cars, before ordering a replacement unit for ours then stripping the dash for a 4th time and fitting the new one. Already been stripped twice when the PTC heater was diagnosed and then replaced.

Because of the high voltage anything that exposes cables has to be rebuilt immediately. They don’t leave anything exposed overnight.

Kia UK still refusing to replace the car and still refusing to provide an e-Niro loan car. In fact, the sign off from Kia Complaints email was “if you’re not happy with our goodwill offer, reject the car”.

Once we’ve found an alternative car we’re happy with, if it’s not repaired by then, we’ll reject it. In the meantime, they’re paying for a hire car so the pressure’s on them. Not us.

Proving difficult to find something though - The grant existed in its previous form when the car came in November. Now prices have shifted we can’t find anything the Mrs wants that’s close to the same budget. This of course being the reason also Kia and their crap supplying dealer have refused to exchange the car.

Seriously considering going back to an i3S Rex for a while. One appeared the other day for £18k. Quite tempting as a stopgap. In 5+ years the i3 and i3S she had never, ever put a foot wrong. Made money on the first after buying it at the end of the very cheap initial lease and selling it a year later. Got my money back on the S when I resold it.

Only trouble is, the only reasons we replaced the S with the Kia was because of the arrival of our daughter, the aggro loading a baby into a baby seat through the i3 rear doors and the fact the pushchair frame only just fits in the boot.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We managed fine with a double buggy in our Zoe. Just saying. :)
Missus chose an iCandy All Terrain - Needed to have proper wheels as it spends a lot of time in muddy fields and horse yards. Also needed to be light.....and fit the i3. Which it did. Just.

Had a Zoe 50 GT Line in June. Just about fit in the boot of that but the interior space as whole was far smaller. Became academic when the drivetrain packed up in week 1 and the car wouldn’t start at all. Lots of lights. Funny smell. Goodbye Zoe.

Just too small inside for what we need. Enyaq is almost there for us, but leases are just a touch too high at the mo. Getting there.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,873 Posts
@i3S

If the cost of a replacement car has increased then is it a consequential loss of their faulty car anyway and Kia/the supplying dealer should pay it? I'd think you really need to get legal advice on what you can do. A lot of home insurance has legal advice cover/helplines so it's worth seeing if you have.

If they have suggested rejection already then I'd think it would be accepted. If you can reject and then claim consequential losses ie the extra costs of replacing the car then it puts it to an end and also makes sure they don't weasel out of things. It's not up to them to put a cap on consequential losses either. As long as you make an effort to keep them reasonable. It's not your fault they can't fix it and won't replace it.

It doesn't make sense to take the radio out of another car. It makes more sense to link your app to their demo car and see if that works. Far less effort. They should lend you the demo for long enough instead.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I agree with @srichards , you need some sound legal advice at this point regarding the handling of the rejection procedure and you rights regarding the disruption, loss of use, and potential financial disadvantage

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate to say this because I am the proud and very satisfied owner of an e-Niro. But ditch it. Not because of the car, but because of the dealership that are incompetent and downright arrogant, together with Kia UK's complete lack of being empathic and customer oriented. It's corporate bullying at its best and you shouldn't stand for it.
Its certainly worth sending a formal letter to Kia UK by registered post, citing your rights under the Consumer Act.. The Citizens Advice Bureau offer a free service that provides a model letter to use as a basis, and some advice on what "Redress" you are entitled to ask for. Eg Full refund or a different and new Kia Niro 4+. Oh and if buying another Niro, go to a different dealer....
Failing that, get your family solicitor (if you have one) to write and send the letter for you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So, 2 months after it was last seen on the day my wife’s broken e-Niro 4 was dropped at our local dealer and still no closer today to being fixed we have progress.... of sorts.

Had to do a lot of pushing and shoving, but this morning, thanks in no small part also to the efforts of the Director of Sales at Kia in Loughborough, he came and swapped the nasty Niro PHEV (Loughborough Kia hired to Kia UK to loan to us) for a new e-Niro 4+.

This at least means my wife’s back in an EV and essentially she’s driving the same car as the one she’s paying to lease.

Kia UK have agreed to cover all her fuel costs for running the PHEV for the past couple of months which is another win.

Meanwhile the leasing company have confirmed, should we choose to reject hers before Kia manage to fix it, we’ll get all the rentals and initial payment we paid and be charged only for the mileage it had done when it was dropped off for repair in March.

All in all, we’re ahead of the game. My wife can go back to enjoying the car she picked. It’s just it’s suddenly grown a sunroof and air cooled seats. Ironic given recent weather.

TMS in Leicester who are repairing the car continue to be fabulous and have had further daily protracted comms with Kia Technical and UVO. They’ve extracted 5,000 pieces of data from the car so far and still no one can understand why the cabin and battery ore-heating doesn’t work.

Right now we’ve another e-Niro, petrol expenses to date covered and all our money back if we find something the Mrs prefers before Kia fixes hers. Just a shame we’ve had to invest so much time and energy fighting for it all.

And just a shame the oaf dealing with this at NK Motors in Derby who supplied the faulty car back in November refused to provide anything resembling customer service.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
644 Posts
Glad to hear things have been taken care of, at least for now. What a difference one guy can make who takes customer satisfaction at heart. But I don't understand why they just don't replace the car and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I think I would be saying to them Just give me the replacement car as my own and we'll call it quits. That is if you still want a Kia after all this pain. Failing that I would take the payments back, pay for use, and walk away. I wouldn't let this drag on any further.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think I would be saying to them Just give me the replacement car as my own and we'll call it quits. That is if you still want a Kia after all this pain. Failing that I would take the payments back, pay for use, and walk away. I wouldn't let this drag on any further.
Which would leave us with no car and under pressure to find another.

Right now we’ve the same car we leased, petrol covered in the one we didn’t, and if they don’t fix it before something else we like turns up, we get all of our money back....turning the loan car into however many months we end up having it into free transport. Seems a pretty good position to be in to me.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What shocks me about this, and isn't something anyone seems to have commented on, is the ridiculous situation where the problem can't be diagnosed. This thing was built from parts, and software written by programmers, and yet no-one seems to know how it works - this is a bizarre place to be, and doesn't bode well for the future - obviously Kia the head company have some serious issues with regards to the giving of information regarding their products to their dealers. Basically they're saying that they control the whole process, and yet can't be held responsible for making sure that process works. I'm pretty sure that's the way all relationships between manufacturer and end-user are going as well, and it just isn't acceptable really - but what can you do ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
What shocks me about this, and isn't something anyone seems to have commented on, is the ridiculous situation where the problem can't be diagnosed. This thing was built from parts, and software written by programmers, and yet no-one seems to know how it works - this is a bizarre place to be, and doesn't bode well for the future - obviously Kia the head company have some serious issues with regards to the giving of information regarding their products to their dealers. Basically they're saying that they control the whole process, and yet can't be held responsible for making sure that process works. I'm pretty sure that's the way all relationships between manufacturer and end-user are going as well, and it just isn't acceptable really - but what can you do ?
Totally agree, my car is an ID3, but the dealer / manufacturer problem solving (guessing) seems very similar. Dealer ripping just hair out as unable to look after customers.

My car is only a few weeks old, but I’ve given them until next Friday to either fix or reject. This was all agreed during a conference call yesterday with the service manager and business manager.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is true of just about any computer system you might buy. The systems are so complex that literally no-one understands all of it in detail - it's built out of modules and layers that hopefully plug together in the right way. And normally that's fine, but when there is an obscure fault somewhere - or, more likely, a nasty combination of two or three faults - then there may be nothing for it but to chuck the thing in the bin (or more likely strip for parts, with the caveat that some of the parts are tainted as possibly faulty).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
644 Posts
That's right. Apart from that, Dealers are like a 1st line helpdesk that does problem solving by script. 'Have you tried resetting the router? Have you tried connecting via cable instead of wifi? Have you tried clearing the browser cache? Have you tried resetting the computer?'

I bet you that if they should send one or two Lead Engineers over from South Korea, the problem would be diagnosed in a day. But that will not happen, unless a very severe situation would be on hand, like the car being involved in a freak accident with several casualties as the result of a possible software error. So the dealers do what they can: they get logs out of the system and send it off to someone higher up in the monkey tree, until in the end the problem is diagnosed or they have found a solution by trial and error.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts