Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
982 Posts
100% Agree with the last few posts. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Car dealership technicians have no chance of having adequate knowledge as things are just getting too technically advanced. They are trained with spanner’s and hammers. Only the top end design engineers in Korea know how the thing works.

So then it’s now up to the car designers to build in extremely comprehensive self diagnosis system. I fear that in reality, these diagnostic systems have just not kept up with the pace of technology evolution, and they don’t cover all possible fault scenarios.

So that’s where we are at. The makers know this full well, so they should cost in a percentage for the occasional car replacement, in extreme circumstances when a problem simply can’t be fixed. We just shouldn’t have to get into legal battles because a car can’t be properly fixed in a sensible time frame.

It is worrisome. Imagine what it will be like when you’re just out of warranty, should some undiagnosable fault occur. What then? Who pays for all the trial and error parts replacing until they eventually stumble on the bit that actually has failed.
Peter

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I met with the Master Technician at my dealer, he looked nothing like the traditional car mechanic. He was dressed more for an office environment and when talking with him, it was more like having a conversation with an IT engineer.

He admitted that garaged need to start emptying a different type of person to deal with the new technology, but added, even then, most diagnostic is handled off site.

He’d just spent 6 hours trying to resolve a lock / key fob issue (couldn’t fix) and said he had downloaded a 20 page fault report and sent it off for feedback

·
Registered
315 Posts
Something tells me that there's a total lack of a system of co-ordination with dealers and manufacturer. You can easily imagine a situation where reports of diagnosis and fixes by one dealership could end up being buried in HQ rather than being added to a knowledge base. So you can see dealers being left to their own devices to diagnose and resolve. I'd love to be proved wrong but somehow, I very much doubt it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Something tells me that there's a total lack of a system of co-ordination with dealers and manufacturer. You can easily imagine a situation where reports of diagnosis and fixes by one dealership could end up being buried in HQ rather than being added to a knowledge base. So you can see dealers being left to their own devices to diagnose and resolve. I'd love to be proved wrong but somehow, I very much doubt it.
I think it’s also a case of manufacturers trying to bury problems. If it wasn’t for forums like this, you’d probably never know there were other cars with similar issues

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
325 Posts
A bit like a computer operating system, there are so many variables that having exactly the same settings throughout it can be difficult to replicate problems, back in old days it was , is petrol getting to carb, is there a spark, if yes to both then it it usually went bang at the right time.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts