Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
I have a 2012 Volt, and I when the charge-sustaining mode kicks-in I can see anything between 9.8 kWh and 10.2 kWh. The meaningful variable seems to be how gentle I was on the speed and accelerator toward the end of the battery usage and how significant regenerative braking was used at that time, too. If you drive slowly and gently and brake rarely but use regen aggressively (as in with "L") then you can get a long drive out of the battery.
My driving style is pretty much as you describe, I always drive in "L".
Regen does not give me anymore of a kWh read out, infact if I am going down hill then for any length of time the read out goes down

·
Registered
707 Posts
Correct, regen actually subtracts from the kWh usage, but there seems to be some sort of "intelligence" employed in drawing the line on the cut-over from battery to charge-sustaining mode that makes it noticeably variable. It *seems* to me that if the car thinks you're near to parking (and charging) that it will "hold out" a little longer on the battery. Use of regen seems to be involved in this. It also seems that this "intelligence" is more based-off of the very latest activity rather than the driving activity at the beginning of the drive.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I used think that 60 miles was a hope too far on a single charge. That was before I made it happen today in my 2012 Ampera. My max speed was 40 mph - that's all it took, including hills like up and over the hogs back near Guildford. I had to go to Wimbledon to my dealer to collect replacement wall charger.
Very impressive! Have yet to break mid 50's in mine :( *note to self! must try harder*

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
And with the temperature reading 12c? I don't understand how that happens. Once the temperature goes below about 15-16c, I can't get any more than about 3.5 miles per kWh out of my MY2012 car, and the gauge has never read over 10.3 kWh when it switches to petrol. How did you get 11.4?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
As per the 70 mile claim, the second one don't count! Don't think I'd want to get stuck on a road behind you! ;)

Joking aside, not sure I'll ever make one of these clubs, because if I'm using up the battery, it's usually because I've headed on to a motorway or fast A road. But regardless...it's waaay better than burning dino juice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As per the 70 mile claim, the second one don't count! Don't think I'd want to get stuck on a road behind you!
I suspect you won't be stuck behind me as both of those trips were on the motorways all the way at 70MPH. The first was from Shap to Home and the second was home to Carlisle and on the following day to Portsonachan. M40, M42, M6 Toll, M6, M8 through Glasgow and then on the A roads past Loch Lomond to Invarary and then up towards Oban.

Hope that puts your mind at rest.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Wow....that's impressive...especially if it's on hilly roads! On the advice of others, I tend to aim for around 65mph on the motorway, but may well go crazy and sit at 70mph if it's still possible to achieve decent range.

I test drove a Leaf this week and was pretty impressed; it seemed as nippy as the Ampera, at least up to 40mph...but boy did travelling at speed affect the range! Hopefully the Ampera isn't adversely affected in the same way because of its more aerodynamic design.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Wow....that's impressive...especially if it's on hilly roads! On the advice of others, I tend to aim for around 65mph on the motorway, but may well go crazy and sit at 70mph if it's still possible to achieve decent range.

I test drove a Leaf this week and was pretty impressed; it seemed as nippy as the Ampera, at least up to 40mph...but boy did travelling at speed affect the range! Hopefully the Ampera isn't adversely affected in the same way because of its more aerodynamic design.
Also the ICE definatly contributes (in hold mode) to directly driving the wheels at 70MPH, IMO using the petrol to drive the wheels and maintain charge is always going to be more efficient than just using petrol to charge the battery

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Right...so let me get this straight:
  • If in stop start motorway traffic below 70mph use the battery (if available)
  • At 70 mph steady flow, engage Hold and release when within the estimated remaining range of your destination

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
  • At 70 mph steady flow, engage Hold and release when within the estimated remaining range of your destination
My normal use on a long trip is to……battery to motorway except petrol up hills, turn Hold on the on motorway, battery once I am back in town and then the opposite in reverse coming home, BUT making sure I run out of battery before I get home. If I have a destination charge then I make sure I run out of battery before I get there.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well...yeah... :) Or you can just drive efficiently on normal and then let the car switch to petrol when it wants and just stick below 65 on the trip and end up with 68mpg at the end of 150 miles which is what I get each time I go to my mums on the A3 / M25 / A40 ;-)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Try it different ways with different nt modes and compare them is best. But my experience is that just letting the car do it's thing and concentrating on efficient, light footed driving and anticipation of braking is the biggest factor.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Jumping between two threads now, but the message from that American technical article was to use EV mode for heavy load eg hills (and I assume above 70mph).

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Very impressive. Must have found plenty of long hills to regen down !
Not something I get to play with in the Fens ......

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,412 Posts
20150626_60mi.gif

Just got back home at 60.1 mi showing. No funny business. No petrol miles. This was a bog standard potter to work and back, ~19 miles each way on the motorway at 52mph with a few miles 'urban' either end, and then a trip into town to drop my son off, and back. Just steady driving, low accels, stretching out the decels. Real world driving, albeit with the trucks overtaking me!

I wonder what the next battery range will show?

(PS - all in 'D'. I don't believe 'L' gives better range, I only use it occasionally when in heavy traffic.)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
View attachment 5790

Just got back home at 60.1 mi showing. No funny business. No petrol miles. This was a bog standard potter to work and back, ~19 miles each way on the motorway at 52mph with a few miles 'urban' either end, and then a trip into town to drop my son off, and back. Just steady driving, low accels, stretching out the decels. Real world driving, albeit with the trucks overtaking me!

I wonder what the next battery range will show?

(PS - all in 'D'. I don't believe 'L' gives better range, I only use it occasionally when in heavy traffic.)
Awesome result !

21 - 40 of 96 Posts