Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it exists, and is in service in Geneva.

ABB TOSA system is for buses, and has 15 second contact charging for top-ups at bus stops. 600kW. They have Chademo charging as well at the depot. The chargers at bus stops have local battery storage, which makes sense, since the grid connection would be massive for street furniture.

The only battery electric vehicle I'm aware that charges faster than that is that ferry in Norway at 1.2MW.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The only problem behind super-mega-hyperfast chargers is how to deliver the electricity to them in a safe manner - the infrastructure isn't available at the moment.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How much charge would this deliver in just 15 seconds? 600kw is a lot but he time is so small it's hard to see that it could deliver a meaningful amount.

Great tech though and certainly a good solution for urban public transport whilst battery costs remain high.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How much charge would this deliver in just 15 seconds? 600kw is a lot but he time is so small it's hard to see that it could deliver a meaningful amount.

Great tech though and certainly a good solution for urban public transport whilst battery costs remain high.
600kW x 15/(60*60) = ~2.5 kWH assuming absolutely no losses

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have regular (Chademo) chargers at the depot too - I wonder if these are 100kW+?, so this is about keeping the batteries topped up during the working day, so they don't need quite so massive battery packs on the buses. They're not only charged at the bus stops.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,736 Posts

Didn't video say 20 secs? But that's splitting hairs. I know for a fact it takes me longer than 20 seconds to fumble through loose change looking for the right fair and your average bus users (pensioner) may take less time to swipe their bus pass but will take a good 30 seconds in pleasantries and then a further @60 seconds getting to a seat (where the drivers tend not to move away for fear of shattered hips and a call from a no win no fee ambulance chaser).

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
Assuming that they start the day with a full battery, an injection of 2 to 3 kWhs every kilometre or so would keep it up there, which presumably is the aim. And as identified, each stop would be more than 20 seconds duration anyway even with touch card payment if the service was busy. Just don't stand under that central part of the bus when charging if you have a pacemaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts