Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys..does anyone of you know if I definitively need to upgrade my 60amp fuse before installation of the charger..I called my energy supplier and requested to upgrade the fuse to a bigger one, but they charge close to £500 for it. shocking.. the supplier is green energy...any advice appreciated..Kind Regards Daniel:unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, you need to contact the DNO, this is the company that manages the electricity network in your area not who sends you a bill.
Should be a free change to 80A some charge for 100A some don't.
Hope this helps, Joe

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, you need to contact the DNO, this is the company that manages the electricity network in your area not who sends you a bill.
Should be a free change to 80A some charge for 100A some don't.
Hope this helps, Joe
Thank you Joe..(y)

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts
It depends a lot on what other electrical stuff you have - induction hobs, electric showers, heaters, hot tubs, etc may not leave enough free capacity for a 32A charger.

We have a 32A charger on a 60A main fuse, but heating/hob are gas and our highest drain thing is an electric oven.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
It also depends a little on what charging point you have installed. If the one you choose has load monitoring then it may not be necessary to upgrade at all. I know the Podpoint and Zappi have this, there’s probably others though. Simply put, it monitors the incoming supply and if it gets close to it’s set limit it’ll dial back what is drawn through the charging point.

I had the intention of upgrading my supply from 60A but I’m going to leave it and see how it goes. I have a PodPoint and chances are it’s only going to be in use overnight when other consumption is negligible. That said, we have gas heating and hob and a mains pressure hot water tank so no hefty power showers to consider.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning guys..does anyone of you know if I definitively need to upgrade my 60amp fuse before installation of the charger..I called my energy supplier and requested to upgrade the fuse to a bigger one, but they charge close to £500 for it. shocking.. the supplier is green energy...any advice appreciated..Kind Regards Daniel:unsure:
Hi my home charger was fitted by Pod Point. About 6 weeks after installation Western Power came to inspect the installation and at the same time upgraded the fuse from 60 to 80amp at no charge. (South Wales).

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you guys for the info.. a great forum with a quick response time. (y)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Hi OP, pretty sure your DNO will be Scottish Power ( not the retail side). Contact them for an upgrade/check of your servicehead and fuse

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line & Hyundai Ioniq 38kW Premium
43 Posts
I have a 60A fuse. Installer didn’t have a problem with it as the Zappi will rate limit to prevent overload. I also don’t have an electric shower or heater. Only the oven, washing machine, dishwasher and kettle are high-current devices.
Installed back in November - nothing from DNO so far.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,513 Posts
AIUI they will look at "diversity" which is effectively an averaged out load rather than peak worst case load. We have a 32A charger and 60A fuse... and 40A shower... theoretically running the charger and the shower at the same time is an overload but sparky wasn't worried as the main fuse requires a high sustained load before it'll blow. If you look at the datasheets for these fuses there's a curve of load vs. time and you can actually run a 60A one at around 80A pretty much indefinitely. But the higher the overload the shorter the time before it goes pop.

That said, I still avoid using the shower and charging the car at the same time if I can help it, as there's no sense in inviting problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts