Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Kia soul 30kw 10/2017
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys..does anyone of you know if I definitively need to upgrade my 60amp fuse before installation of the charger..I called my energy supplier and requested to upgrade the fuse to a bigger one, but they charge close to £500 for it. shocking.. the supplier is green energy...any advice appreciated..Kind Regards Daniel:unsure:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF e+
546 Posts
It depends a lot on what other electrical stuff you have - induction hobs, electric showers, heaters, hot tubs, etc may not leave enough free capacity for a 32A charger.

We have a 32A charger on a 60A main fuse, but heating/hob are gas and our highest drain thing is an electric oven.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
It also depends a little on what charging point you have installed. If the one you choose has load monitoring then it may not be necessary to upgrade at all. I know the Podpoint and Zappi have this, there’s probably others though. Simply put, it monitors the incoming supply and if it gets close to it’s set limit it’ll dial back what is drawn through the charging point.

I had the intention of upgrading my supply from 60A but I’m going to leave it and see how it goes. I have a PodPoint and chances are it’s only going to be in use overnight when other consumption is negligible. That said, we have gas heating and hob and a mains pressure hot water tank so no hefty power showers to consider.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good morning guys..does anyone of you know if I definitively need to upgrade my 60amp fuse before installation of the charger..I called my energy supplier and requested to upgrade the fuse to a bigger one, but they charge close to £500 for it. shocking.. the supplier is green energy...any advice appreciated..Kind Regards Daniel:unsure:
Hi my home charger was fitted by Pod Point. About 6 weeks after installation Western Power came to inspect the installation and at the same time upgraded the fuse from 60 to 80amp at no charge. (South Wales).

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
Hi OP, pretty sure your DNO will be Scottish Power ( not the retail side). Contact them for an upgrade/check of your servicehead and fuse

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT Line & Hyundai Ioniq 38kW Premium
68 Posts
I have a 60A fuse. Installer didn’t have a problem with it as the Zappi will rate limit to prevent overload. I also don’t have an electric shower or heater. Only the oven, washing machine, dishwasher and kettle are high-current devices.
Installed back in November - nothing from DNO so far.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,677 Posts
AIUI they will look at "diversity" which is effectively an averaged out load rather than peak worst case load. We have a 32A charger and 60A fuse... and 40A shower... theoretically running the charger and the shower at the same time is an overload but sparky wasn't worried as the main fuse requires a high sustained load before it'll blow. If you look at the datasheets for these fuses there's a curve of load vs. time and you can actually run a 60A one at around 80A pretty much indefinitely. But the higher the overload the shorter the time before it goes pop.

That said, I still avoid using the shower and charging the car at the same time if I can help it, as there's no sense in inviting problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, amateur here 👋
We’re upgrading our 60amp to 100amp for a car charger. Cost is about £80 with SSE.
(Free with Uk networks, typical!)
So two questions, if we’re having house renovations next year should I upgrade even further?
And if there’s a higher amp that I can get, does that make the car charger faster?
thanks

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Hi, amateur here 👋
We’re upgrading our 60amp to 100amp for a car charger. Cost is about £80 with SSE.
(Free with Uk networks, typical!)
So two questions, if we’re having house renovations next year should I upgrade even further?
And if there’s a higher amp that I can get, does that make the car charger faster?
thanks
100 A per phase is the maximum domestic supply in the UK, so the only way to get more than this is to go from a single phase supply to a three phase supply. That depends on whether three phase is available close to your home or not, and also whether there is sufficient capacity in the local distribution network. It can be costly to get a three phase supply installed, depends very much of the local circumstances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100 A per phase is the maximum domestic supply in the UK, so the only way to get more than this is to go from a single phase supply to a three phase supply. That depends on whether three phase is available close to your home or not, and also whether there is sufficient capacity in the local distribution network. It can be costly to get a three phase supply installed, depends very much of the local circumstances.
Thank you that makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 60A fuse. Installer didn’t have a problem with it as the Zappi will rate limit to prevent overload. I also don’t have an electric shower or heater. Only the oven, washing machine, dishwasher and kettle are high-current devices.
Installed back in November - nothing from DNO so far.
I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Looped supply, 60mp main fuse. DNO came to inspect today and said due to me not having a high existing electric draw, an EV charger with a power limiter will be fine. Only two of us living in the house, gas oven, gas hob, gas heating and shower, so finger's crossed the Zappi 2 with power limiting will be ok. Have you experienced any problems with the charge rate being limited and it taking ages to charge the car?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No my Zappi has been fine. I’ve even set the current limit on the load limiting function of the Zappa to 45A to leave plenty of headroom in case the limiting is delayed slightly. As I charge in the evenings when nothing else is really pulling a load (except for the dishwasher) it hasn’t been a problem. I believe I’m also looped but I’ve never had anything from the DNO before or after installation.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
No my Zappi has been fine. I’ve even set the current limit on the load limiting function of the Zappa to 45A to leave plenty of headroom in case the limiting is delayed slightly. As I charge in the evenings when nothing else is really pulling a load (except for the dishwasher) it hasn’t been a problem. I believe I’m also looped but I’ve never had anything from the DNO before or after installation.

I'd not worry at all about the need for any sort of delay. Fuses take a very long time to rupture at a modest over-current. For example, a BS1361 60 A fuse will take around 3 hours or more to rupture at a continuous 80 A, in cool weather it may never rupture at all at that current:

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info - I knew the chance of blowing the fuse was slim but I also wanted to limit the current due to (potentially) being on a looped supply. Just feel happier being a little safer having a lower current limit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd not worry at all about the need for any sort of delay. Fuses take a very long time to rupture at a modest over-current. For example, a BS1361 60 A fuse will take around 3 hours or more to rupture at a continuous 80 A, in cool weather it may never rupture at all at that current:

View attachment 151193
Thanks for posting this as I have further evidence to quote to the DNO regarding my looped supply. Currently the want to dig up my drive, my next door neighbours drive and my neighbour opposite’s drive plus cut off the access to the Close I live in!
I have just had 2 electric showers removed, so all I have with load is the usual oven, induction hob, dishwasher. My max daily loads are 47kwh (when charging) and 17kwh (when not charging)
I’m using a 3.2 portable at the minute on a 16a commando socket but planning a 2nd EV so need to resolve this asap without digging up half the close.
I am thinking I can run on 2 x 3.6kW chargers as I have 2 x 16 amp fuses spare in my Consumer unit.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Thanks for posting this as I have further evidence to quote to the DNO regarding my looped supply. Currently the want to dig up my drive, my next door neighbours drive and my neighbour opposite’s drive plus cut off the access to the Close I live in!
I have just had 2 electric showers removed, so all I have with load is the usual oven, induction hob, dishwasher. My max daily loads are 47kwh (when charging) and 17kwh (when not charging)
I’m using a 3.2 portable at the minute on a 16a commando socket but planning a 2nd EV so need to resolve this asap without digging up half the close.
I am thinking I can run on 2 x 3.6kW chargers as I have 2 x 16 amp fuses spare in my Consumer unit.

Worth remembering that the fuse is not the current rating of the supply, that is set by a combination of the incoming cable size and the total demand on the local sub-station/PMT. If the cabling is not up to supplying more current then it may well need to be replaced. It's not unusual on looped supplies to find that the cable supplying the first of the looped properties is only rated at around 120 A to 130 A maximum, so that may then restrict two houses fed from that cable to 60 A each.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.