Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a question in AutoExpress magazine but the answer given to the mag "by the authorities" made no sense

The Q was , if I'm on a motorway that has a 60mph(*) speed reduction which according to Gantry Signs is for emissions purposes, if I am driving an EV can I go at 70 ?
The answer from the authorities was No, as it can't be done safely

eh?
So it's okay to normally have an artic from Fred's Freight doing 50.0001 mph, and Stacey Student doing 69.999 mph but not a ICE car at 60 and an EV at 70 in an Emissions Zone?

Assuming the emissions reduced speed zone has an average speed camera to rollick people doing over 60, let me write the code for you - new code is blue
Is Avg Speed over 60mph ?
If yes, if the car reg number defined in DVLA as an EV
If no send them a speed related fine
If yes it's an EV, was its speed over 70 ?

If yes send the EV driver a speed related fine

Not rocket science is it
If the safety reason is that an ICE driver will get violent towards those doing over 60, then if ever a case for green front edge number plates this is it - gantry can say "Green Plate cars are allowed to do 70 "

Anyone who can explain the authorities view better, please do

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I guess the 60mph speed reduction is triggered when the road is actually busy. And so good luck making much progress before catching up with traffic ahead.
And speed limits have to apply to all traffic. The emergency services get an exemption, and it works because they can make themselves very visible. But with regular traffic there might just be an issue if you want to change lanes and the car behind was going much faster than you thought.

But I predict a future when the majority of cars on the road are EVs, there won't be a need for emissions-based speed limits, and darn me! if they aren't all doing a steady 60mph!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not all EVs come on green plates - for some unknown reason, my Born didn't. A neighbour asked what size engine it had. He didn't believe me that it was an EV because it didn't have the green plates my old ID3 came on. I invited him to have a walk around the back of the car ad point out the exhausts.

The emissions speed reduction is a catch all solution that doesn't work for everything, but does work for the majority - my last ICE car, an Audi A4 Avant "40" Quattro, was more efficient at 80mph, spending 90% of its time in 7th gear, than at 70mph, spending about 20% of its time in 7th gear.

·
Registered
ID3
353 Posts
I’d be curious to see the reduction in tire and brake particulate from lower speeds, it’s not only exhaust that is bad. EVs are a lesser evil but they don’t just emit candy floss. Noise is a factor too. I don’t have problems with speed reductions in places like Newport or the end of the M32 in bristol, those motorways are so close to residential areas.

Most definitely do not drive at 60 when permitted to go higher. If I’ve got the range I'll match traffic.

·
Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
830 Posts
I think the safety issues comes from the fact that if you're seen to be doing more than the environmentally enforced limit, then you're likely just to get everyone else thinking it's ok to do that too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the safety issues comes from the fact that if you're seen to be doing more than the environmentally enforced limit, then you're likely just to get everyone else thinking it's ok to do that too.
I often have the same thought about why should I stick to 60 when I drive through the one I mentioned above.
However, I can see the argument very clearly for EVs doing the same. Danger comes when there is a mismatch of speed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I guess the 60mph speed reduction is triggered when the road is actually busy. And so good luck making much progress before catching up with traffic ahead.
And speed limits have to apply to all traffic. The emergency services get an exemption, and it works because they can make themselves very visible. But with regular traffic there might just be an issue if you want to change lanes and the car behind was going much faster than you thought.

But I predict a future when the majority of cars on the road are EVs, there won't be a need for emissions-based speed limits, and darn me! if they aren't all doing a steady 60mph!
Great post OP, have been wondering the same. I encountered the same 60 restriction for Emission Reduction in early weekend morning while back when the motorway was empty somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester.

·
Registered
Cupra Born
826 Posts
I guess the 60mph speed reduction is triggered when the road is actually busy.
No they're not, the one in Sheffield on the M1 is practically on all the time.

I often have the same thought about why should I stick to 60 when I drive through the one I mentioned above.
However, I can see the argument very clearly for EVs doing the same. Danger comes when there is a mismatch of speed.
As the OP said there is a mismatch in speed by all users all the time. Lorries doing 56, caravans doing 60, cars doing between 50 and god knows what and DPD vans doing 120+.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
10,844 Posts
Well, I guess that an EV being driven at 70mph rather than 60mph will be using more electricity, and as grid electricity isn’t carbon free then it’s still valid?

The sign could say “60mph limit in force for emissions reduction, EVs are not exempt unless charged on verifiable carbon free solar setups or certifiable 100% green electricity. Thank you for your co-operation!”…? 😂

Also, it would mean some EV drivers would need to speed up!

·
Registered
344 Posts
No they're not, the one in Sheffield on the M1 is practically on all the time.

As the OP said there is a mismatch in speed by all users all the time. Lorries doing 56, caravans doing 60, cars doing between 50 and god knows what and DPD vans doing 120+.
It's not as simple as that though. It's down to statistical likelihood of an accident. If there are a significant number of cars exceeding the speed everyone else is doing there is a higher probability that a car will change lanes inadvertently into the path of an EV. We are used to lorries etc. going slower but not other cars going faster.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know what roads you're driving on.

Seems on your roads everyone has cruise set at 70mph, I'd like to drive on that road.
That's not what I'm saying. It's a statistical thing meaning people are more likely (over a large sample) to move out in front of a faster moving car. A lot of drivers seem incapable of judging the closing speed of an approaching car, this is just exacerbated when the expectations of the speed of that car are lower.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
A lot of countries around the world drive at 80-100kph anyway.

The UK has a relatively high max permissible speed - and all the Facebook old men banging on about how the “autobahn is safer and everyone does 150mph there” have usually never been there, read the rules relating to it, or have any understanding of how much difference road surface quality makes at high speeds.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
37,956 Posts
Saw a question in AutoExpress magazine but the answer given to the mag "by the authorities" made no sense

The Q was , if I'm on a motorway that has a 60mph(*) speed reduction which according to Gantry Signs is for emissions purposes, if I am driving an EV can I go at 70 ?
The answer from the authorities was No, as it can't be done safely

eh?
So it's okay to normally have an artic from Fred's Freight doing 50.0001 mph, and Stacey Student doing 69.999 mph but not a ICE car at 60 and an EV at 70 in an Emissions Zone?

Assuming the emissions reduced speed zone has an average speed camera to rollick people doing over 60, let me write the code for you - new code is blue
Is Avg Speed over 60mph ?
If yes, if the car reg number defined in DVLA as an EV
If no send them a speed related fine
If yes it's an EV, was its speed over 70 ?

If yes send the EV driver a speed related fine

Not rocket science is it
If the safety reason is that an ICE driver will get violent towards those doing over 60, then if ever a case for green front edge number plates this is it - gantry can say "Green Plate cars are allowed to do 70 "

Anyone who can explain the authorities view better, please do
I already posed this to DoT years ago.

Had the same BS answer. I think I posted it here. They said can't distinguish two, I said that's nonsense as they do that between vans and cars with different speed limits.

Vans are 60mph on dual carriageways, cars are 70. What's the problem ICE/BEV 60/70, if van/car can be 60/70?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Question was asked years ago when Welsh Government introduced Average Camera enforced speed camera for emissions reasons. Same poor excuse.

A lot of countries around the world drive at 80-100kph anyway.

The UK has a relatively high max permissible speed - and all the Facebook old men banging on about how the “autobahn is safer and everyone does 150mph there” have usually never been there, read the rules relating to it, or have any understanding of how much difference road surface quality makes at high speeds.
The UK has the lowest motorway speed limits in Europe...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts