Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am keen to get a Golf GTE as I am now working predominantly from home so will be doing the school and supermarket runs for 95% of my journeys, 6-7 miles each way so feel it it is the perfect car to help bridge the transition to full electric in 4-5 years time.

I cant decide whether to go for a 66 reg which is £0 tax or go for a post 2017 vehicle. Does the 2017 one have a significantly better spec which would mean the £140 tax is a necessary evil to get the better vehicle? Im not bothered about leather, but would like apple car play, winter pack, privacy glass and I like the virtual dashboard, not sure if that is just on 2017 on or not?

I have found this forum ridiculously helpful and informative, so thank you to you all for your contribution, I am sure there are many, many people who have found the comments absolutely superb and a tremendous source of research. I think the information I have found on here has also made me a negotiating nightmare for garages!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

On the off-chance that it is of interest and conveniently located for you (we live in West Sussex) I am looking to sell our Golf GTE - see link below.

It's not mentioned in the description, but the sale price will include 12 months VW warranty for the new owners peace of mind.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
408 Posts
I had a 67 plate one - facelift gets the virtual dashboard, carplay (App-Connect), but oddly no armrest (I had to option one). Winter pack was an option - didn't get it as you can preheat, including when you're not plugged in. Think the glass was lightly tinted as standard.

Had a pre-facelift mk7 Golf (not GTE) before that and App-Connect was an option then. Seemed to be hit and miss whether it could be activated or not later on.

Really good cars though and great for that kind of use.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whatever you get, warranty is key. You can't really go wrong with the car.
My last one was (2017 / 67) the Advance with most things, including virtual dash, which is nice, and Car Play, but without a sunroof.
App Connect is a pay thing after the first three years (I may stand corrected on that)
My current one (2020 / 70) is pretty much the same with a few extra toys, lane assist etc.
If road tax bothers you, think of how much you'll save on fuel.
These days I only use the stuff to be a naughty carbon emitter - showing 257mpg long term just now which tells you I'm on electric nearly all the time. Next car will be fully EV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts