Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that's it.
Three years and just short of 33k miles later, the GTE goes back next week.

You would think by now i would have made my mind up if I am a fan of it or not, but even now I still cant say one way or another.

Deep down, its a Golf, what's not to like about a Golf. Comfortable, Solid, Reliable.
However I feel its always come up just a bit short, for the extra bit of effort of plugging in, finding a charger etc.

Over the 3 years, roughly calculated, its done 91 mpg, and I reckon circa 800 charges, so very roughly speaking cost around 8p per mile.
Vs my previous Golf GTD which religiously returned 50 mpg, costing around 10p per mile.

One thing it has made me realize, I'm never having a car with a manual box again. The DSG box is great.
Another great feature is the glass and cabin heating on a cold winters morning.

Negatives.
Really poor quality wheels. All 4, the lacquer has come away and weathered. They look a complete dogs dinner. Lets see what the assessors say when they come next week.
Twice after servicing it has had to go back to the dealership due to 'oil level too high'.
Bridgstone tyres its came on were garbage.

So we move on. I was hoping to swap for an ID3, but at the time I needed to order a vehicle to arrive as this one goes back, they weren't available on my work scheme, which is possibly a shame.
I've settled for a Hyundai Ioniq Electric on a 24 month deal at £179 a month fully maintained and insured. Maybe time will tell, and I may look back on the GTE with fondness after all, but ill have to console myself on the £150 a month (plus fuel) saving over the GTE.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've settled for a Hyundai Ioniq Electric on a 24 month deal at £179 a month fully maintained and insured. Maybe time will tell, and I may look back on the GTE with fondness after all, but ill have to console myself on the £150 a month (plus fuel) saving over the GTE.
Could you link to that deal? Sounds pretty good, best I saw were upwards of £250 pm for the Ioniq and with no maintenance or insurance!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
So that's it.
Three years and just short of 33k miles later, the GTE goes back next week.

You would think by now i would have made my mind up if I am a fan of it or not, but even now I still cant say one way or another.

Deep down, its a Golf, what's not to like about a Golf. Comfortable, Solid, Reliable.
However I feel its always come up just a bit short, for the extra bit of effort of plugging in, finding a charger etc.

Over the 3 years, roughly calculated, its done 91 mpg, and I reckon circa 800 charges, so very roughly speaking cost around 8p per mile.
Vs my previous Golf GTD which religiously returned 50 mpg, costing around 10p per mile.

One thing it has made me realize, I'm never having a car with a manual box again. The DSG box is great.
Another great feature is the glass and cabin heating on a cold winters morning.

Negatives.
Really poor quality wheels. All 4, the lacquer has come away and weathered. They look a complete dogs dinner. Lets see what the assessors say when they come next week.
Twice after servicing it has had to go back to the dealership due to 'oil level too high'.
Bridgstone tyres its came on were garbage.

So we move on. I was hoping to swap for an ID3, but at the time I needed to order a vehicle to arrive as this one goes back, they weren't available on my work scheme, which is possibly a shame.
I do agree with many of your comments on the GTE.
I was an early adopter of the GTE model and I really enjoyed the four years of ownership I had with the car.
Brilliant bridge car on the road to a full BEV.
But I knew my next car ( what ever it was ) would have to be a full electric after only six months of use.
I have had my BEV for about 9 months now and it is all I expected a electric car would be.
I really don't think you will regret your switch over to be honest.
Enjoy !.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you link to that deal? Sounds pretty good, best I saw were upwards of £250 pm for the Ioniq and with no maintenance or insurance!
Hi.
it’s through NHS Fleet Solutions. So you or someone you know needs to work for the health service. And it’s a salary sacrifice scheme, so you save on Tax & NI.

21st century motors have some good 2 yr deals in them at the moment, on the general market.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts