Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is anyone else a bit annoyed by the statement that
"The auto-steering feature of the 7.1 Autopilot is now limited to 45 mph (72 km/h) on single lane roads with markings."
I think of all those roads around the UK (not to mention many other countries) where you would be driving along at 60 on fairly straight main roads unable to use Autopilot.
Almost makes me wonder if I will choose to not upgrade to 7.1 when I get my car.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
No, I'm very happy by that restriction. I am amazed by some of the places Autopilot offers to take control. Autopilot is good, but on 50mph+ single lane roads borderline safe. Road markings and lane width are just too unpredictable in my experience not to mention road forks and adjoining side roads.

Really pleased with motorway and crawling in traffic is ok (it doesn't seem to cope with traffic islands that well).

Bottom line, it's not a fricking autopilot people, it's only cruise control on steroids. Don't believe the marketing hyperbole. Use it where you'd be comfortable using normal cruise control and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If these restrictions stop some of the idiots from having a crash and causing a media frenzy that's fine by me. I must admit I don't use it on single carriage roads anyway. I have driven well over 1000+ miles on motorways using it and it's fine but still wouldn't drive without my hand on the steering wheel. It is, after all, still beta.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yes, also up to 6k miles here already since late September, but only about 4k under autopilot. Very happy with it for long commutes. I seriously think it's safer than me. Different story off the motorway though. At least I'm still useful for something! :D

P

·
0 Posts
Autopilot is like the intelligent voice assistant on your phone. Though undeniably on and off useful, it has neither the ability to think nor to understand and cannot live up to that sort of hype.

On the other hand, letting go of the wheel and turning round to speak to your mates in the back of your dad's car while showboating for your YouTube channel is a genuinely new level of intelligence :LOL:

·
Registered
891 Posts
"The auto-steering feature of the 7.1 Autopilot is now limited to 45 mph (72 km/h) on single lane roads with markings."
I think of all those roads around the UK (not to mention many other countries) where you would be driving along at 60 on fairly straight main roads unable to use Autopilot.
Almost makes me wonder if I will choose to not upgrade to 7.1 when I get my car.
UK speeds are way higher than speeds in Sweden on similar roads. Bringing them down a bit would benefit all (except EVO)
;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
It will probably be delivered with it already installed

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will probably be delivered with it already installed
Probably - just a bit concerned with the attitude of
"we are going to tell you how you are going to use the car your bought from us"
I know some people on Youtube have done some stupid things - but this will not stop them - one can do stupid things in any car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Probably - just a bit concerned with the attitude of
"we are going to tell you how you are going to use the car your bought from us"
This is unfamiliar ground for the car industry so many people won't get this. Remember Tesla is as much a software company as anything else. It's in beta, accept it or turn the feature off (or don't order) and wait until they've established a base release version so you know what you're getting.

P

·
0 Posts
Hrm. You've selectively quoted me to make it sound like I'm saying something I'm not.

Whether in jest or otherwise, the risks posed by the current system are so self evident that Tesla appear to be about to muzzle it. Don't take it up with me, take it up with them.

Also you should remember those were superior, middle class Tesla owners doing idiotic things in those YouTube videos. Imagine what the dreadful unwashed would be like :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,311 Posts
Hrm. You've selectively quoted me to make it sound like I'm saying something I'm not.

Whether in jest or otherwise, the risks posed by the current system are so self evident that Tesla appear to be about to muzzle it. Don't take it up with me, take it up with them.
Sure, jest, and many a true word, etc....

I'm merely 'testing' part of what you said. Does it really do any worse than the way most people drive by looking only at the next 10 feet in front of them? Yes, you need to have intelligent intervention sometimes to avoid an accident. The 'intelligent intervention' is typically what is missed out, with or without 'autopilot'.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the difference here between Autopilot and a human is not just the level of accuracy in Autopilot compared to a human on these newly restricted roads but that the risk of Autopilot actively doing the wrong thing - as opposed to not doing the right thing - combined with immediate danger (no run off space, oncoming traffic) means that Tesla think the risk is too high. Since none of us know what data this judgement is based on we are not really in a position to comment.

P

·
0 Posts
Does it really do any worse than the way most people drive by looking only at the next 10 feet in front of them? Yes, you need to have intelligent intervention sometimes to avoid an accident. The 'intelligent intervention' is typically what is missed out, with or without 'autopilot'.
I agree. If we assume that human error is the single biggest contributing factor in accidents (which it is), then any intervention by a system which can react at superhuman levels is safer, particularly where a driver has been distracted or is impaired.

In the UK some 16 per cent of all road deaths were the result of drink drive accidents and in the US the figure is over 30 per cent. The evidence in favour not just of the passive measures we've come to take for granted (airbags, head restraints, child seats, belts and so on) but also of intelligent active safety systems which can step in with extraordinary speed is I would say pretty stark.

If however a system is sold as a labour saving device (neither the Tesla home page nor the Design Studio mention safety but categorise Autopilot as a 'Convenience Feature'), then the overall effect on road safety cannot be known. While it's obvious that Autopilot and any system like it can help avoid collisions, and therefore have the potential to cut accident rates like no technology before, at the same time no technology before has encouraged you to take a back seat - proverbially and literally :eek:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
No, I'm very happy by that restriction. I am amazed by some of the places Autopilot offers to take control. Autopilot is good, but on 50mph+ single lane roads borderline safe. Road markings and lane width are just too unpredictable in my experience not to mention road forks and adjoining side roads.
Agreed.

Bottom line, it's not a fricking autopilot people, it's only cruise control on steroids. Don't believe the marketing hyperbole. Use it where you'd be comfortable using normal cruise control and you won't be disappointed.
But "cruise control on steroids" is exactly what autopilot (in the aviation sense) is. The word fits exactly to what the Model S has, it's just that for some weird reason everyone has decided to interpret it as "self-driving" when that's not true in a plane and definitely not true in a car.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Probably down to Musk stating that it'll pick you up at your door, or that it can drive itself from LA to Vegas (or somesuch claim). At least we can see now where he was coming from, but clearly mire work to be done.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
"The auto-steering feature of the 7.1 Autopilot is now limited to 45 mph (72 km/h) on single lane roads with markings.".
For those people who don't abuse it yes I can understand some frustration.. There are many trunk roads with ideal lining and adequate lane width that always flow at 60mph (the single carriageway de-restricted limit).. eg the A52 near Nottingham.. Can you imagine driving along that at 45mph.. I really can't... You can fail a driving test for failing to keep up with the flow of traffic (DL25 Section 20)

upload_2015-12-14_10-38-48.png

upload_2015-12-14_10-40-35.png

1 - 20 of 39 Posts