Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Where are those figures from? Sorry, not sure I follow (apologies for being thick). Also remember that report is in US Gallons - multiply their mpg figures by 1.2 to get our mpg figures...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
No matter how you switch between hold and normal you can't tell the car to not touch the main battery, if it wants to put a little charge into it, then it will... and does. :) IMO we need a different 'challenge' if it's a case of anything except depleting the battery in normal mode from full to car changing over.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
204 Posts
Regardless of whether using 'Hold' mode is 'against 60 mile club rules', congrats RayG on your achievement, the best I've done is 52 miles. Discounting you additional battery charge (11.9kWh vs 10.5 normal running capacity on a 2013 car), that's still mid 60 miles range. Fantastic!
Richard - thanks for the interesting article on gradient (and running mode) vs range on the Volt forum. I'd be interested to see how you get on with your experiments.
I've noticed the past couple of mornings that the cold starts really affect range. I usually have a couple of miles left after my 45 mile commute, but yesterday and this morning the battery expired a mile from work....:(

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've noticed the past couple of mornings that the cold starts really affect range. I usually have a couple of miles left after my 45 mile commute, but yesterday and this morning the battery expired a mile from work....:(
Yep, drove to London yesterday morning up the A3 and got just 37 miles, instead of my normal summer range of 47-48 on the London trip. Temperature was 11-14, it does make a huge difference. Prepared for it now though, this is my third winter! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Just a thought:confused:
If the range is not enough to get you to your destination has anyone done an experiment to work out if running the ICE at the begining of the trip (therefore generating heat) would have a possitive affect on battery miles?

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Hold mode when going uphill and gather the regen when going downhill
Interesting... I could imagine that doing it... switching to HOLD mode when going uphill is kinda cheating IMO (Sorry!). That means you only ever use electric mode when going downhill... rather artificial in my opinion as it effectively means that you are only driving in EV mode downhill and I don't know of anywhere in the UK where there is a 70 mile continuous downhill stretch :)

Nevertheless, it is an interesting exercise but IMO I don't think it warrants entry to the 70 mile club... sorry! :) :)

EDIT: As has been suggested... perhaps we need a "EV range done using any method" club ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Does that mean anyone that does lives at the top of a 70 mile hill cant join in either:confused:

How about if I get the wife to push the car up all the hills:), does that count?

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
:D:D:D:D
Well, some might say that living at the top of a big hill should disqualify them but I would say that it is fair game if you can drive continuously in EV mode no matter where you start. They might have an advantage though but then again they might not... supposing your point of arrival was at the bottom of a hill... it would just get silly!

IMO if you drive only on EV mode then that counts regardless.

What do others think?

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
I am sure that as I have a life (ie no spare time), driving in pure ev mode to get 70 miles is not going to be something I get to worry about any time soon.:D

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Just a thought:confused:
If the range is not enough to get you to your destination has anyone done an experiment to work out if running the ICE at the begining of the trip (therefore generating heat) would have a possitive affect on battery miles?
I think that would be by far the most efficient way to boost your overall electric range of it meant you could turn down the electric heating for the remainder of the journey, as that absolutely cripples the electric range in my experience :(

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
In winter I used to do the first part of the trip in HOLD so that I warmed the cabin from the ICE. I was never sure if that was better or not tbh but always thought that if I were to need to run the ICE on the trip anyway then I might as well do it at the start of the journey and make use of the wasted heat to heat the cabin :)

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
I don't think that using petrol to go up a hill and regen on the way down is really helpful wrt battery range clubs. It is a different game and only screenshots with no petrol use get the wow response from me.
But in the real world does using the ICE up hill / at high speeds to provide direct drive to the wheels actually work out as the most economical way to drive

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
But in the real world does using the ICE up hill / at high speeds to provide direct drive to the wheels actually work out as the most economical way to drive
That's largely going to depend on the terrain and how hard the ICE is having to work. On the flat my engine will stay at its lowest speed whilst I bimble along at 70mph, but as soon as I hit an incline (don't have hills in the fens) it will go up a notch. When I head born or South to more 'mountainous' territory the engine will sometimes hit top revs.
My hunch would be that after the 2nd of the 4 engines speeds it is more efficient to be on electric. But at low engine speeds it's doing around 60-65mpg which may be more efficient at 70mph than electric.....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Excellent thread :) The engine's most efficient at about 2000rpm so really using it on motorways and long A-road stretches is best, and using pure electric mode on hills (both up and down) is best. Short steep hills aren't a problem as it uses the buffer up to prevent raising the revs on the ICE.

Speaking of which... my tests last night were very interesting. Sitting in stop-start traffic :rolleyes: and pressing Hold at 76.3% battery life, it didn't start the ICE, but instead allowed me to use up around 2% of my battery. At this point the ICE started and held around 1400-2000rpm for a bit, pushing energy back into the battery, and built it back up to around 76% again. So it seems under low load and low speeds, it uses up to around 2% of your existing battery level before topping up.

Once the traffic cleared, I was up to around 40mph between traffic lights and roundabouts, and immediately it did something different - the ICE came on and charged at around 2000rpm until 2% over the original, at around 78%. It then cut out, and I ran on electric power until it got down to -2% (i.e. about 74% again). This cycle continued - ICE on at around 74-75%, ICE off at around 77-78%.

Then I went back to Normal mode, as I was ruining my average tank MPG :)

Complex software in this car, I tells yer!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Excellent thread :) The engine's most efficient at about 2000rpm so really using it on motorways and long A-road stretches is best, and using pure electric mode on hills (both up and down) is best. Short steep hills aren't a problem as it uses the buffer up to prevent raising the revs on the ICE.

Speaking of which... my tests last night were very interesting. Sitting in stop-start traffic :rolleyes: and pressing Hold at 76.3% battery life, it didn't start the ICE, but instead allowed me to use up around 2% of my battery. At this point the ICE started and held around 1400-2000rpm for a bit, pushing energy back into the battery, and built it back up to around 76% again. So it seems under low load and low speeds, it uses up to around 2% of your existing battery level before topping up.

Once the traffic cleared, I was up to around 40mph between traffic lights and roundabouts, and immediately it did something different - the ICE came on and charged at around 2000rpm until 2% over the original, at around 78%. It then cut out, and I ran on electric power until it got down to -2% (i.e. about 74% again). This cycle continued - ICE on at around 74-75%, ICE off at around 77-78%.

Then I went back to Normal mode, as I was ruining my average tank MPG :)

Complex software in this car, I tells yer!
This was exactly my original point to @RayG , Richard, that you can't assume when you go in and out of Hold mode that the car isn't using and topping up the battery, it's out of your control. I don't have all the numbers you do, which are really interesting (must get the OVMS stuff working!) but I've felt and seen (from the power flow picture) the car doing what you describe on the occasions I've used hold mode in the past. I rarely use Hold these days.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts