Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now been driving a Leaf for 5 months and clocked just over 7000 miles. I probably would have only done about half that in an ICE car had I not changed.

Would I change anything in the leaf? (apart from the obvious battery range)
For starters,
As with the clock in the old Rolls Royce story it may be unfair to single out a sound issue but the indicator ticker is much too loud.
The range/charging button on the steering wheel is hardly used but it is crying out for a demist button where you do not need to look away from the road.
The Beeps - see thread on Beeps!
Towbar. This would be so useful.
More LED lights. I have LED dipped beams but why can we not have the driving lights as LEDs?
Greater choice of colours. It runs on the same production lines as other UK models. Why only "6" colours?

That said I do not regret choosing the Leaf even as it is and wish I had made the decision earlier. I delayed 6 months as I was not 100% sure I could live with the "restrictions" I thought the leaf brought. Some issues are such that I would not recommend it to everyone but it (or a similar EV) could work for more than 50% of car users.

As we have voiced on this site the biggest issues are not with the car but the charging infrastructure and a lack of understanding by those who operate charging sites or by non EV users.

·
Glyn Hopkin EV Business Development Manager
36 Posts
Great News Sussex Trug. Any ideas on how many £££££ you have saved?

·
Registered
72 Posts
So many bells and whistles but no auto dimming rear view mirror. Always thought it odd that running lights were not LED. Same goes for the interior lights, front are LED (I think) and the rear is a standard tungsten lamp.
Both the wife and I are very happy with our Leaf. Like @Sussex Trug we're also clocking up loads more miles than anticipated because it's such a nice drive.
@Darren Smith You know how much money we've saved on fuel coming from a 3.2 litre Vectra GSi ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would agree with your wish list @Sussex Trug. Absolutely love my car despite some hairy moments, which could all have been avoided if the charging infrastructure were better.

The colour limitations annoyed me too. I desperately wanted the ink purple colour but no chance there. Wanted to settle for black as my next best option but not a black leaf to be found before November. Being as my 3 litre Subaru needed toad tax at the end of September for the princely sum.of £490 I accepted my gunmetal grey Evie on 20th September. To date I've saved in excess of £500 and probably more like £600 in petrol and the monthly road tax cost. Poor Evie has done 2177 miles in 6 weeks (well 6 weeks tomorrow!) Eeeeek! May have to increase my contracted mileage! 14k isn't going to cover it!

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great News Sussex Trug. Any ideas on how many £££££ you have saved?
The saving is a tricky one to account. There are too many issues that prevent comparing like for like. In simple terms I could just take a pence per mile conversion but that would not be valid.

The alternative to an EV would have been an ultra low emission diesel.

I would not have done this many miles in a diesel. I use the leaf on occasions where I would have used a train or simply not made the journey. Instead of being restricted by the change I actually drive more. (Perhaps this should be a warning given by dealers:)).
Poor Evie has done 2177 miles in 6 weeks (well 6 weeks tomorrow!) Eeeeek!
we're also clocking up loads more miles than anticipated because it's such a nice drive.
Sound like I'm not alone.

This has had an unusual side effect. I now drink much lesso_O. I have always been a lover of ale but only when I haven't got the car or the need to make an early start the next day.The savings have been very noticeable.

My 10 week wait for the installation of a home charger kept the electricity off my bill for much of that time although I did use the brick to charge when absolutely necessary. On those occasions I may have strayed outside the Economy 7 period.

I used to put the last car through the car wash. The leaf is done by hand.

On the other hand I have bought a few more coffees at service areas. On occasion I have planned a restaurant meal to coincide with charging at 7kw rather than a snack and eat at home later.

No savings on the tyres either.:( There is already a noticeable difference from front to rear.

So you see it is not easy to make a price comparison. I probably got the car as much for the technology change as the hope of financial advantage. I also thought it would be quite unusual but there are swarms of them out there:D. Passed a gunmetal one in Shoreham by Sea this afternoon. Not you by any chance @Bikerchickone ?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Stories like this almost make me wish I had a leaf as well as or instead of the Ampera.
But at the time, I couldn't have made it work. Now, I probably could !

·
Registered
191 Posts
The saving is a tricky one to account. There are too many issues that prevent comparing like for like. In simple terms I could just take a pence per mile conversion but that would not be valid.

The alternative to an EV would have been an ultra low emission diesel.

I would not have done this many miles in a diesel. I use the leaf on occasions where I would have used a train or simply not made the journey. Instead of being restricted by the change I actually drive more. (Perhaps this should be a warning given by dealers:)).

Sound like I'm not alone.

This has had an unusual side effect. I now drink much lesso_O. I have always been a lover of ale but only when I haven't got the car or the need to make an early start the next day.The savings have been very noticeable.

My 10 week wait for the installation of a home charger kept the electricity off my bill for much of that time although I did use the brick to charge when absolutely necessary. On those occasions I may have strayed outside the Economy 7 period.

I used to put the last car through the car wash. The leaf is done by hand.

On the other hand I have bought a few more coffees at service areas. On occasion I have planned a restaurant meal to coincide with charging at 7kw rather than a snack and eat at home later.

No savings on the tyres either.:( There is already a noticeable difference from front to rear.

So you see it is not easy to make a price comparison. I probably got the car as much for the technology change as the hope of financial advantage. I also thought it would be quite unusual but there are swarms of them out there:D. Passed a gunmetal one in Shoreham by Sea this afternoon. Not you by any chance @Bikerchickone ?
No not me today. We've been more Barnham way today house hunting ;)

My calculations of savings was based on how much it would have cost me in petrol to do the same miles in the Subaru, minus the monthly cost of the car and the electricity I've used. I've been very lucky in that there are several fast chargers around my work patch so I'm able to stop in and charge whilst doing paperwork. Then I get paid mileage too ;) hence why my savings are so great. My expenses plus the £40 a month no longer spent on road tax cover the payment for the Leaf. At this rate though I'm going to owe £800 at the end of my 2 years in excess mileage :eek:

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
No not me today. We've been more Barnham way today house hunting ;)

My calculations of savings was based on how much it would have cost me in petrol to do the same miles in the Subaru, minus the monthly cost of the car and the electricity I've used. I've been very lucky in that there are several fast chargers around my work patch so I'm able to stop in and charge whilst doing paperwork. Then I get paid mileage too ;) hence why my savings are so great. My expenses plus the £40 a month no longer spent on road tax cover the payment for the Leaf. At this rate though I'm going to owe £800 at the end of my 2 years in excess mileage :eek:
£800 sounds like a bargain !

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
£800 sounds like a bargain !
I'm currently putting £35/month aside for the excess mileage charge - and I was already on an 18000 miles/year contract. I think that'll settle down slightly but I expect to need over £1000 at the end of the 3 years.

But I don't care! I enjoy the drive too much to worry about such things.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would you like me to print this thread out and tape it to my desk? lol
It makes a great sales pitch. "Be careful, you may like driving this car too much."

I think that the uninitiated might just think you were trying to increase the contracted mileage.

I've just thought of another downside to the cost comparison. In the not too distant future when fuel tax revenues are plummeting and the government switches from road tax to mileage tax we will be paying for all these extra enjoyable miles.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts