Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , 1st I considered borrowing an 'ICE' , then I looked on trainline.com ..( 3 changes - 6 1/4 hrs , just to get from Manchester to Yeovil .. and no change from £180 quid ) .
Then I got in the Soul
soul trip feb2.jpg

I set a couple of ground rules:-

stop the charger before you need to
Polar before Ecotricity if available
ABC, always be charging if the opportunity arises.

soul trip feb1.jpg

Wouldn't want to make it a regular event and and I made a couple of probably unnecessary stops on reflection.
1 charger failure ( Wychbold ) but the next luckily was only 9 miles detour.
Got to say happy it was last week not this week .
got some decent kW's per mile considering the season.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You complain the train takes 6 hours and then spend 3 days instead :confused:
You didn't like the £180 cost of a train but how much did 2 or 3 nights cost in B&B/hotels? Plus eating out instead of at home?

I'd say train wins hands down.
Forget the driving, you spend longer charging than the train took !

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
? Joe, it was just the train journey from Manchester to Yeovil was 6+ hours 1 way& the £ 180 was cattle class & off peak!

I had planned 2 overnight stops no matter which medium of travel was taken see customers in Dorset, Somerset Bristol, NW and Cumbria.
I've done similar trips in diesels and safety say I arrived in better condition despite the 1.5 -2 hrs of stops .

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,481 Posts
Split ticketing is your friend. Often makes train tickets much cheaper....I just looked on trainline and one month return is £130 with no effort at all. That was from Rochdale not Manchester itself.

They must have hiked the price for half term.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting reading this. We too recently did a longer trip, not as long as the OP's but still 350miles in a weekend going to Overstrand in North Norfolk and back to the midlands.

I was expecting it to be stressful, which despite two of the main roads we were due to use in the outbound direction, it wasn't. I would certainly after our positive experience use the car again for longer trips.

We stopped twice on the way there, and back, although we could have just about managed with one charge each way, but it would have been cutting things fine, and not worth the stress! We were also lucky in that the EH chargers at P'boro services were on free vend each way, so reducing the cost even further!

I certainly wouldn't be concerned about using a Soul for longer journeys, all be it with some prior planning.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks @Ed Straker's Car , posts like yours are useful for others considering longer journeys. The furthest afield I have been was 270 miles each way to attend a family event. It was in summer and driving the 27kWh model I managed legs of 60miles +. Total time to do 270 miles was 6 hours one way and 6.5 hours the other. On both occasions we had 3 stops, and due to free vends cost around £18 return. In theory I could have done this in 4 - 4.5 hours in an ICE but travelling with kids and a dog necessitated a couple of stops. Travelling with the family, a dog and luggage makes public transport very difficult and expensive. We have an ICE in the family and I'd happily hire a car if needed but trips of 200-300 miles in a day are viable in a short range BEV with a little bit of planning and time. I agree that I wouldn't want to do it more than a few times a year though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well done if I could afford to allocate the time I would use the EV constantly unfortunately I need to go to Sittingbourne and back in one day this weekend weather permitting.

I won't be driving the Soul and I certainly would not entertain the nightmarish shambles using a train would become
For me time is usually money and all that Jazz, so using my Weasel is the most cost effective method.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Around £80 of diesel without having to sit on a train or at chargers.
I like the Soul a lot but it's really not the kind of car for that kind of journey.

£ 86 I made it , I agree it would've been easy just to hijack the Wife's Volvo , but I wanted to do it, partially as a challenge to myself & a couple friends .I knew I was scheduling overnight stops so parts of the journey weren't time critical. I'll definitely do another in the 'summer'

Well done if I could afford to allocate the time I would use the EV constantly unfortunately I need to go to Sittingbourne and back in one day this weekend weather permitting.

I won't be driving the Soul and I certainly would not entertain the nightmarish shambles using a train would become
For me time is usually money and all that Jazz, so using my Weasel is the most cost effective method.

Agreed , The journey via train open return standard off peak, was a total of 7 changes and a total just under 14th hours. + the waiting around and taxi pick ups- drop offs, not my idea of fun either for .£320,

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
£ 86 I made it , I agree it would've been easy just to hijack the Wife's Volvo , but I wanted to do it, partially as a challenge to myself & a couple friends .I knew I was scheduling overnight stops so parts of the journey weren't time critical. I'll definitely do another in the 'summer'

Agreed , The journey via train open return standard off peak, was a total of 7 changes and a total just under 14th hours. + the waiting around and taxi pick ups- drop offs, not my idea of fun either for .£320,
To be honest in the summer and if you're not in a rush it wouldn't be too bad but at this time of year or with deadlines I think you're nuts.
Good on ya.

·
aka Biscitt, Volt Hunter.
48 Posts
Any problems with consecutive rapid charges? Asking after hearing about all the problems with the 40kW Nissan Leaf. I've not taken my Soul on a long trip yet and am interested in hearing other people's experiences.

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,555 Posts
@TechnoBics Nothing to worry about did 9 rapid charges driving ours home from dealer in Glasgow with no slow downs. Doing two 720 mile round trips in a week soon and although not looking forward to them (waiting for the Kona EV) dont expect any problems with the Soul.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,481 Posts
Long live the Smurfs for they have thermal management! Shame there aren't any 40 leafs that could be challenged and humiliated again ;)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
We ran a couple of souls for a few months when they first came out - no instances of slow down on chargers apart from the normal as they reach the top bit of the battery. Some of the very best designed ev's we've ever run and if we hadn't gone to i3's (for the rex ability) we would most likely still be running newer versions.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I worked out it averaged 0.76 kWh per minute charging between 25-93% on the 30.
No discernible change in speed on the 2-3rd rapid on a recent 350 mile day trip.
If anything the 3rd rapid ( ▪ an instavolt at a harvester in Warwick was the fastest of the lot).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Any problems with consecutive rapid charges? Asking after hearing about all the problems with the 40kW Nissan Leaf. I've not taken my Soul on a long trip yet and am interested in hearing other people's experiences.
Back in Oct I did a 508 mile non-stop trip with 7 rapids in succession. All of the charges took between 20-30 mins depending on the SOC when I arrived at the charger. No #rapidgate with the Soul. My Torque Pro tells me the Soul pulled a max of 46-47kw everytime

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Congratulations and shows it can be done, but I am sure the Kona drivers on here are smirking ;)

In years to come we will be talking to youngsters and they will say "what, you had to stop after an hour or so and charge for how long? - Wow, it was hard in the old days" :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Congratulations and shows it can be done, but I am sure the Kona drivers on here are smirking ;)

In years to come we will be talking to youngsters and they will say "what, you had to stop after an hour or so and charge for how long? - Wow, it was hard in the old days" :D
Its kinda nice toe part of the "Early Adopter" group, of what is the 21st century version of the change from Horse & Cart too Automobiles. And if I'm still around in 20-30 years time I'll be the Great Grandad telling his Grandson about the days when we only had 70 miles of winter range :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts