Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All, I've had a Corsa-e for the last couple of months and love it! Just wanted to ask if anyone else has trouble with the type 2 charging? Sometimes the charge will randomly drop out on mine. As I have a 120 mile trip to work it can be a tense journey. Not sure if this is the car or the home charger. If anyone else has this issue might help me sort out which one is at fault. Cheers

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
983 Posts
Recently, I've had it drop when using my PodPoint and scheduled charging. Most of the time it works fine but last week, I set the PodPoint to start a 2-hour charge at 20:30. The charge started on schedule but when I checked the smart meter in-home display, I noticed that the car couldn't have been charging. I went out to the garage to check and the PodPoint was showing a red light.

I reset the PodPoint by switching off and on again at the breaker and plugged it back in and it then started to charge OK.

The next day, a similar thing happened but I couldn't be bothered going out to the car so I just reset the PodPoint and then after a few minutes it started charging again and ended the charge on schedule.

I suspect that it may have been the PodPoint at fault here but it could also be down to the car. Over the last 8 months of having the car, on a very few occasions, before the PodPoint scheduling was available, the car didn't start its in-car scheduled charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recently, I've had it drop when using my PodPoint and scheduled charging. Most of the time it works fine but last week, I set the PodPoint to start a 2-hour charge at 20:30. The charge started on schedule but when I checked the smart meter in-home display, I noticed that the car couldn't have been charging. I went out to the garage to check and the PodPoint was showing a red light.

I reset the PodPoint by switching off and on again at the breaker and plugged it back in and it then started to charge OK.

The next day, a similar thing happened but I couldn't be bothered going out to the car so I just reset the PodPoint and then after a few minutes it started charging again and ended the charge on schedule.

I suspect that it may have been the PodPoint at fault here but it could also be down to the car. Over the last 8 months of having the car, on a very few occasions, before the PodPoint scheduling was available, the car didn't start its in-car scheduled charge.
Thanks for that, mine seems to drop out when I use the car charge schedule. It's ok if I plug it in for an untimed charge (timing has never worked properly from the charger on this car), just a bit annoying as I'm a cheapskate who wants to use the 5pkwh rate!

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e
229 Posts
I haven't used time charging on mine, since I'm on a flat rate. But there has been evidence on other threads that some home devices can interfere with the charging. Especially powerline ethernet adapters, and some also mentioned solar inverters.
Do you have any such device installed?

I have been playing around with some solar panels on my pergola, using a cheap grid tie inverter.
I noticed that when the sun goes up, it occasionally causes my home charger to freeze (doesn't charge, and doesn't respond to the app).
Recently I have changed that inverter to a different one, and so far no problems.
Although both are supposed to adapt to the home AC phase, and are advertised as "pure sinus wave", it seems that the newer one causes less interference.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,445 Posts
I've not had that with current one (previous one did do weird charging things) but I tend to just plug in and charge immediately. Not noticed any issues with timed charging but I have a dumb as bricks Rolec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't used time charging on mine, since I'm on a flat rate. But there has been evidence on other threads that some home devices can interfere with the charging. Especially powerline ethernet adapters, and some also mentioned solar inverters.
Do you have any such device installed?
No nothing like that at the moment, but I do live in the sticks so wondered if it could be a power dip?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, by the reply's so far it looks like it might be more of a charger issue, kicking myself for getting a cheap charger. Always a cheapskate!
I've had similar problems to you with my SyncEV charge point. Scheduled charges 'dropping out' and all sorts of problems. In the end, I worked out that my SyncEV wasn't connected to my Wi-Fi. This charge point can use mobile data as well as Wi-Fi so don't assume it's connected to your Wi-Fi just because it's online.

Now I've confirmed it's using my Wi-Fi, it's flawless in operation. Have a look at the Installation Guide, go into the charge point admin panel and make sure that Wi-Fi is selected as the primary connection method. It may also be worth calling SyncEV technical support as they 'sent' new firmware to my charge point.

Happy to help if you need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts