Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Super noob here. I did search forum but couln't find the answer. So I just got an i3 REX 94ah 2016 UK model. I took it to BMW for service today and I asked if I can use a 7KW charger on a regular basis and they said "only for occasional use" but they couldn't tell me what that meant!

Can anyone point me to guidance/advice on this. I am now thinking it's hardly worth installing a 7KW charger at home if it's only to be used once in a blue moon. Advice appreciated

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
The actual fast charger (normally called “rapid” charger) which uses the bottom two chunky pins in the charge socket (if your car has it fitted!) is for occasional use. The 7kw charger (called a “fast” charger) is for daily use.

Reactions: sizzlechest

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Hi All

Super noob here. I did search forum but couln't find the answer. So I just got an i3 REX 94ah 2016 UK model. I took it to BMW for service today and I asked if I can use a 7KW charger on a regular basis and they said "only for occasional use" but they couldn't tell me what that meant!

Can anyone point me to guidance/advice on this. I am now thinking it's hardly worth installing a 7KW charger at home if it's only to be used once in a blue moon. Advice appreciated

Thanks
Is there an alternative BMW dealer you can use, one that knows there stuff?

·
Registered
BMW i3 60ah bev, solar orange
44 Posts
Hi All

Thanks
I find that most of the dealers I visit are less knowledgeable about the products they sell than the intended purchasers.
A 7kw home charger (fast charger) is the norm for most EV owners. The granny cable that plugs into your wall socket is for occasional use as it can trip the house electrics if you have too many high powered devices in use at the same time. Mine would trip if the car was charging on the granny and I used the kettle and toaster all-together. The usual house sockets are not designed for sustained constant high power demand.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I find that most of the dealers I visit are less knowledgeable about the products they sell than the intended purchasers.
A 7kw home charger (fast charger) is the norm for most EV owners. The granny cable that plugs into your wall socket is for occasional use as it can trip the house electrics if you have too many high powered devices in use at the same time. Mine would trip if the car was charging on the granny and I used the kettle and toaster all-together. The usual house sockets are not designed for sustained constant high power demand.
AFAIK, granny chargers are fitted with thermal protection so in themselves they are perfectly suited to long-term use. However, as you say, no manufacturer can be responsible for domestic wiring; damaged sockets or the use of extension leads. I don’t regard the tripping of house electrics as a risk. It shouldn’t happen if the circuits have adequate wiring for the proposed load and fuse/RCB protection. A granny charger is rated at 3kWs: the same as most kettles; washing machines etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
I took it to BMW for service today and I asked if I can use a 7KW charger on a regular basis and they said "only for occasional use" but
Find a different dealer!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Most of what people say in dealers is rubbish. If you have a charger, just use it and don't worry.

The 7kW charger is the standard charger for home use. The dealer was probably getting confused with the 13 amp lead, which is an increased risk as it pushes the 13 amp socket hard and old/dirty/loose/cheap sockets or mediocre extension cables can overheat - but used properly, with occasional checks, is also fine.

Reactions: TJEV
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.