Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I'm still new to the world of Ev's and wanted to ask a question regarding price per EV charging.

I live in an apartment and the building development has six Rolec 7Kw charging stations installed. They charge £5 per token which gives a 6 hour period to charge your EV. Is this a good price per charge? How does it compare to public chargers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Depends how big your battery is and what state of charge is when you start charging.

If you took the full 7kW for 6hours it would give you 42kWh, which at £5 would work out at £0.12/kWh. That's certainly not a bad price!

If however your car was nearly full and you only pulled in, say 7kWh then it would be very expensive at £0.72/kWh...

So just ensure you use it when you have a very low battery and can charge for most of the 6hours. It's certainly a good price if say you ran a 41kWh Zoe for most of the week, drove around 120miles and then charged it over night for £5 to 100%.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Thank you for the response - my question is directed toward the MG ZS EV.
@DrEskimo answer is also valid for the MG. The battery sizes are very similar. The price may be a little higher, some decimal points of a penny, as there will be losses in the transfer of electricity due to resistance and so forth. The advice would be to only charge on them when almost empty.

It will be certainly cheaper than charging at some destination chargers. Unless you can find a car park near to you where charging is included in the parking ticket and it costs less than the token.

Just a thought. Is the ticket only for the 6 hours or can you re-use it until the 6 hours is all used up?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
101 Posts
Consider trying to find free public charging at supermarkets etc ...... Sainsbury and Tesco often have free Pod Point charging and Waitrose has free Polar Plus (but you need to subscribe - £7.86 per month). We have the MG ZS EV and live in central London so have to rely on public charging all the time - tend to use a mix of free Pod Points and Polar + at 12p per kwh.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
593 Posts
After loses, you vehicles should be taking on board 6Kws per hour for 6 hours = 36Kws.

Average efficiency is 4Kws per mile, so that’s 36 x 4 = 144 miles range for £5.

In petrol or diesel, that 144 miles range would cost £15 / £16.

So for the price of a fancy coffee and a newspaper you can travel 144 miles, a very good deal, l think.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,930 Posts
You can buy Rolec tokens in bulk. I got hundreds of the things off these guys for cheap when I had my Zoe.

Rolec EV Golden Token Single Grove pack of 100

Not only is it cheaper, it also means you can charge when the place is closed. Just be aware that you might turn up one day and find the machine jammed as they won’t have emptied the tokens (“we’ve only sold two, why are there 50 in here!”) 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts