Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before but I always charge to 80% unless I'm going on a long journey. Recently I had an epiphany. the car has 10% battery reserve (21.5 KWh useable) it doesn't use so is there any need to charge at 80%? why is the option there? manufacturer must think it's necessary? anyone cleverer than me have an informed opinion? am i wasting my time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
From what I gather, the battery doesn't like to sit below 20% or above 80% for lengthy periods. It's something to do with the chemistry I think.
So in earlier models there was an option to stop charging at 80% for this reason. On later models (my 2017 for example) they removed this option
for some reason and there's been a bit of head scratching as to why. I never charge to more than 80% if its to be left sitting and if necessary just top up for any longer runs.
I also believe that the odd rapid charge does the battery a lot of good so I make sure that I rapid on occasion when it isn't really necessary for any other reason.
FYI. I have a 2017 Leaf30 which still retains 98% state of health (SOH), which is well above average for the year, so maybe there's something in it?

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,350 Posts
I believe 80% is close to 3.9v per cell. That voltage is best for available power vs cycle life of Li-ion.

If you don't need the range, it's best to leave the pack at around 50% which brings each cell to v3. 7v

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,383 Posts
My Leaf has lost its first bar (dipping below 85% SoH) in September or October. But recent Leafspy check says SoH is at 87%. So it seems to go up during winter and down during summer.

At 80%, the cells on my car is at around 4v. Li-on cells like to be stored at around 3.7-3.8v. It is better for the car to stay within 20-80% range.

I think later Nissan removed this option to gain more range in government ratings. 2013 Leaf and 2015 Leaf were largely similar, but 2013 Leaf only been rated 75 miles while 2015 Leaf has been rated 84 miles. Nissan Leaf - Wikipedia

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
155 Posts
There is another advantage, at below 80% charge, then full regen should be available, so the car will recover more energy, therefore more efficient overall?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is this still the advice ? Just bought a 40kwh leaf and would like to know what's the best strategy for charging.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,086 Posts
Is this still the advice ? Just bought a 40kwh leaf and would like to know what's the best strategy for charging.

Thanks.
Try to stick between 20 and 80 where you can and then maybe once a month let it go all the way to 100 and not unplug until after the dash lights go out to allow for cell balancing.

Your car doesn't have the option to set an 80% limit though, so you'll have to monitor yourself or set timers to roughly stop when you're expected to hit 75-80%ish.

LEAF batteries do degrade more than others. That's just a simple fact due to Nissan's less than ideal thermal design. If your car is in daily use and you don't want the hassle of trying to charge to a certain level then just let it go to full, as long as you don't leave it sitting around for days at a time fully charged, it shouldnt make too much of a difference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cheers. I'll aim for the 80% level then. Should be ample for my usual daily use.

Annoying about the lack of options on the car to set it though.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,350 Posts
Cheers. I'll aim for the 80% level then. Should be ample for my usual daily use.

Annoying about the lack of options on the car to set it though.
Something like OhmeEV to when it works can charge the car correctly to whatever % you want.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67:30 Black
57 Posts
I've got used to working with a charge timer. I have one set overnight for 3 hours and that adds about 40% charge. So I just plug it in when it's around 30-40% and I have enough the following morning.

So my charging is pretty random. But that time period is within the cheapo electricity period (or it will be when I've swapped tarif) so it just kinda works for me. I charge to 100 if I'm going out but otherwise it's charged to somewhere between 60-80 for economic reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts